cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 778 phone number not considered local in Vancouver

kenji
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have 778 phone number that is not considered to be local in Vancouver. I was unable to link the enterphone code for my condo unit to my mobile phone as they told me it was a long distance phone number. They also told me they get the warning "long distance charges may be applied" before making the call. I don't understand why this is happening with a BC phone number.

23 REPLIES 23

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

What coincidence... @kb_mv , @HALIMACS and @JoyLuck all showing up again in the last little bit! Who's next? @gblackma  and the mama @zblackma ?!!😉

Being mentioned in the same post as them is humbling.

@kenji 

Do you have a dual SIM phone or an older back up phone? If so coming up to the holiday season there will likely be some excellent promotions that stacked can give you the ability to activate a new account to serve as your intercom line that will average out to cost about $8 a month for a year. It also has the added bonus of giving you a secondary phone line.

kenji

I will check with my condo building again, but it looks like the only fix is to change the xxx part of my 778-xxx-yyyy number to a Vancouver local one. It's a pain to change my phone number, but I appreciate all the help form you guys.

@Anonymous 

What coincidence... @kb_mv , @HALIMACS and @JoyLuck all showing up again in the last little bit! Who's next? @gblackma  and the mama @zblackma ?!!😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb_mv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kb_mv : 778 is province-wide. 383 is based in Vancouver. The OP has said they seem to have a Kelowna number.

@Anonymous Thanks, I missed that part lol.

@kb_mv : Welcome back by the way 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@kb_mv : 778 is province-wide. 383 is based in Vancouver. The OP has said they seem to have a Kelowna number.

@Anonymous Thanks, I missed that part lol.

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

The OP has a kelowna number. This is one of those cases where having Canada wide calling doesn't help. The need for a number from the local calling area is necessary.

@darlicious Thanks, I missed the part about Kelowna.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenji : One piece is still outstanding...the recorded message may also _not_ incur long distance. We get that message in PM if we call long distance but don't add the 1 in front. The call goes through. We have Canada-wide calling so there would be no charge anyway. Maybe your building wouldn't incur long distance charges. The manager would need to know if the system has Canada-wide calling. Then maybe they could configure the tenant intercom numbers to include the 1 and not get that message.

@kb_mv 

The OP has a kelowna number. This is one of those cases where having Canada wide calling doesn't help. The need for a number from the local calling area is necessary.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@kenji wrote:

I have 778 phone number that is not considered to be local in Vancouver. I was unable to link the enterphone code for my condo unit to my mobile phone as they told me it was a long distance phone number. They also told me they get the warning "long distance charges may be applied" before making the call. I don't understand why this is happening with a BC phone number.

@kenji When I lived downtown Vancouver I had 778-383-XXXX that my condo had no issue with. What are your next 3 after 778?

@Anonymous wrote:

@kenji 

you can upgrade your plan to Unlimited Canada-wide minutes,

and click Here link  to you know how to Change Your Plan online,

or if you like to Changing Your Number,

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number.

@Anonymous, just me again reminding you to read and understand the question.  Your replies don't offer any information to the question that was asked.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenji : Even for 604 down at the coast, the local calling area around downtown Vancouver is out to Aldergrove and over to Pender Harbour and from the border up to the mountains. But 604 goes out to Hope and other areas outside of that local calling area.

Your Kelowna number would be all that you would think of as Kelowna and then Westbank.

@kenji 

Download fongo or textnow and choose a number that has a local area code and exchange to use as your number for your intercom. If you choose fongo it will work both on wifi and mobile data in case your home wifi is down for any reason.

@Anonymous wrote:

@kenji 

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

Do you not think that @kenji is concerned that his 778 number may not belong to the area  he lives in?? If it is not, then any one that calls him in his area will have to call LD as not everyone has Canada Wide calling. 🥴

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kenji

The rate centre of your phone number cannot be changed by definition. The first 6 digits (out of 10) of your phone number determine the local calling area (or rate centre).

If you continue facing this problem, the only option you would have would be to get a new 778/236/672/604 area code number that belongs to your local calling area of choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenji 

@kenji wrote:

So if my local prefix is Kelowna then Vancouver won't see the number as local? I thought it was a province-wide thing. Thank you.

Not BC wide calling.....or no LD. 

778-xxx-nnnn

The xxx identifies your area. 

@Anonymous 

Whaaat? You missed the point. 

kenji

So if my local prefix is Kelowna then Vancouver won't see the number as local? I thought it was a province-wide thing. Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenji 

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

you can try do Rebooting your phone

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,

for Example long distance in canada or from USA,, Add (+1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,
1778xxxxxxx,
or
+1778xxxxxxx,
both is will going through your call...

Good luck and enjoy the service.

Check your 778 number here. https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

It will tell you what area it belongs to. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kenji wrote:

@kenji   Edit:  reread, the long distance message, doesn't apply.

As to your apartment building and not being able to use your phone number, you could select to change your number to one with a Vancouver area code.  You're permitted 4 changes per 30 days.  There are still some 604 area codes numbers available, try Sechelt community as they still have some 604 numbers. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenji : 778 is a BC-wide area code. The prefix of your number decides the local calling area. This site can tell you where the number is based from. Then you can find its local calling area.

Need Help? Let's chat.