cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 3 Months with Public Mobile

kistarla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all,

So I joined PM around December. It was a bit of an impulsive decision - I'd been growing increasingly frustrated with Bell's service and prices. I had a phone but essentially could never use it because of the exorbitant data fees. I did a bit of research on the alternatives and landed on PM. I related my retail experience in my first post so I won't write it again here.

Long story short - I love Public Mobile. I have a phone that I can actually use now. I don't have to fret about overages, and I feel like I've actually joined the 21st century finally.

As far as speed goes, it hasn't really affected me much. I mostly listen to podcasts, use a couple apps or do light browsing. I can honestly say I've never noticed or been bothered by "slow" speeds. Obviously, everyone's needs and habits are different, so someone who does a lot of video streaming might not be as pleased - I don't know.

I've been topping up my account with vouchers purchased at Shoppers. No issues there. (Sidenote: I did have a mini heart attack when I logged into my account to see a "Plan Expired" message in red, despite having enough funds in my account. Luckily a quick Community search revealed that it's normal and generally nothing to worry about. Whew...)

Also, the Community is stellar. When I first joined up I spent a good couple hours just reading as many posts as I could to get a feel for any outstanding issues or things I should be aware of. Fortunately, I've had no issues that have needed resolving and the lack of phone support has been a non issue. Knock on wood.

All in all, I can and do absolutely recommend Public Mobile. I hope it's around a long time - I plan on being a customer for the long haul.

8 REPLIES 8

@CellGirl wrote:

@kistarla 

I hear ya!

I've been with PM for 1 month, and I hope to never port my number to another carrier again 😎

I've also been reading numerous forum posts to become familiar with how things work here. Good thing, otherwise I would have assumed that auto-pay with my credit card would be problem-free every time, but many people have recommended to make a manual payment in advance of the renewal date, to avoid the chance of being without service. 

It is true that autopay does have a glitch or 2. My brother, my wife and me all use autopay and to date no issues. I believe that some reported issues on this topic are due to people checking the day of their renewal and like @kistarla it appears their plan expired when it really hadn't. Also, I believe some issues are due to people changing addresses and or getting a new card with the same number but different expiry date and in both cases forgetting to update their PM account to reflect the different information. (take notice that some OP's just stop responding which we assume means they have their problem sorted but they don't sat what sorted it).

If your service does stop by all means add funds manually to get your service working but definitely get this rectified with the MODs.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kistarla 

I hear ya!

I've been with PM for 1 month, and I hope to never port my number to another carrier again 😎

I've also been reading numerous forum posts to become familiar with how things work here. Good thing, otherwise I would have assumed that auto-pay with my credit card would be problem-free every time, but many people have recommended to make a manual payment in advance of the renewal date, to avoid the chance of being without service. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kistarla I always like reading that people did their research. And especially like reading that they searched the community for answers.  There is a wealth of info here.

As a side note I would buy vouchers in lower denominations rather than one big one so should there be issues validating you do not need to buy one big voucher while the problematic one is investigated.  I had a 100$ not validate. So I had to buy a second one, while it was looked into. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well sure @krazykiwi. I'm just saying that people sign up with no problems. Use the service for a while with no problems. Then something happens and they set their hair on fire on here.

@kistarla wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kistarla 

Nice to read the good news stories.

About the the lack of telephone service...we'll see how you feel when your autopay doesn't work and your credit card won't do a payment and your service is off for days 🙂

Or you bought the voucher and it doesn't work and now your service is suspended.

Things happen. 🙂

Welcome.

I hear ya. I've been pretty fortunate and realize that. It was a little alarming reading some of the horror stories when I first signed up. Hopefully these kinks can get ironed out soon.

I would not let negative responses bother you! You already proved that you can handle any situation that comes up. Your reaction to your "plan expired" situation was perfect and I am sure it relieved any worry you had. And if you are unable to find the answer or are not quite sure, you have also discovered the well informed and speedy responses form the community.

Glad to hear that you are liking PM, enjoy.

kistarla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

@kistarla 

About the the lack of telephone service...we'll see how you feel when your autopay doesn't work and your credit card won't do a payment and your service is off for days 🙂

Or you bought the voucher and it doesn't work and now your service is suspended.

Things happen. 🙂

Welcome.

I hear ya. I've been pretty fortunate and realize that. It was a little alarming reading some of the horror stories when I first signed up. Hopefully these kinks can get ironed out soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kistarla 

Things happen. 🙂

Welcome.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@kistarla  a écrit :

Hey all,

So I joined PM around December. It was a bit of an impulsive decision - I'd been growing increasingly frustrated with Bell's service and prices. I had a phone but essentially could never use it because of the exorbitant data fees. I did a bit of research on the alternatives and landed on PM. I related my retail experience in my first post so I won't write it again here.

Long story short - I love Public Mobile. I have a phone that I can actually use now. I don't have to fret about overages, and I feel like I've actually joined the 21st century finally.

As far as speed goes, it hasn't really affected me much. I mostly listen to podcasts, use a couple apps or do light browsing. I can honestly say I've never noticed or been bothered by "slow" speeds. Obviously, everyone's needs and habits are different, so someone who does a lot of video streaming might not be as pleased - I don't know.

I've been topping up my account with vouchers purchased at Shoppers. No issues there. (Sidenote: I did have a mini heart attack when I logged into my account to see a "Plan Expired" message in red, despite having enough funds in my account. Luckily a quick Community search revealed that it's normal and generally nothing to worry about. Whew...)

Also, the Community is stellar. When I first joined up I spent a good couple hours just reading as many posts as I could to get a feel for any outstanding issues or things I should be aware of. Fortunately, I've had no issues that have needed resolving and the lack of phone support has been a non issue. Knock on wood.

All in all, I can and do absolutely recommend Public Mobile. I hope it's around a long time - I plan on being a customer for the long haul.

Thank you @kistarla for sharing with us your nice experience with public mobile.Smiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.