cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile App

hellsbells05
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there a Public Mobile App in the works?

24 REPLIES 24

DolphinV8

thank you for that clarification.

This next is for total beginners like myself (long term users will find this, like "Duh, obvious!)" but I didn't at first:  As a brand new member, once I figured out how to log into Public Mobile using my web browser (Safari here) I see that I can buy any add-on I want without having to go to my laptop or computer, at selfserve.publicmobile.ca

DolphinV8

Thank you for this good explanation THAT there is no Public Mobile app (that PM is a "third tier provider" i.e. low-cost) and WHY you suggest there should not be one (because PM keeps constantly having "serious system issues" (i.e. bugs and technical failures) and that (this bears repeating so I am repeating it, thank you) "the money might be spent better by setting up a whole new, rock solid self serve account platform from scratch (so that correcting one bug doesn't trigger another one somewhere else)".

Well, I *do* have one reason why having an app in my mobile phone might be helpful -- because then I would not have to go into my computer to add an add-on, such as a second 10-day talk-text-data plan when I'm in the U.S.... I could instead just do that inside my smartphone. HOWEVER I think I'm with you, for the time being, that Public Mobile seems so "buggy" that maybe they should grow and fix all the bugs.

Also, if an App is ever created, I hope it begins with a bare-bones functionality of what's most likely to be needed.  Would you care to comment on what basic functions would be most essential in an app? Thanks!

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Banks have struggled with this...

• At first it was basic stuff in the app, then re-direct to the mobile site
  • Next they started handing out awards for mobile sites and user volumes went up.... clients started asking for everything in the app
  • So banks started dumping tons of money in to the apps basically replicating (actually re-building) their very expensive online banking platforms within he mobile app
  • Most users don't use the enhanced stuffs in the apps, tablet sales are down, and the cost to maintain or update the combined mobile+web platforms is out of this world
  • Soooo... changes are coming to banking mobile apps, time to get rid of the bloat

All that to say.... AGREED @stonechucker !

Marleah

Exactly. I'd say 95% of the time a website has information you cannot find on the app. It really just comes down to ease of access. You can just pin the webpage onto your home screen anyway, which is what I did.

I beginning to find that my banks are all redesigning their apps right now, and I find it frustrating.  What was once a simple interface has become something I need to relearn, and frankly, I don't like it.

I've switched back to using the website interface for my banking sites, as the interface there rarely changes, and I see what I need much easier on a larger screen than I can on a mobile app.

Apps do have their place, don't get me wrong.  I just prefer the desktop to do things where I need to see detailed information.

@GinYVR wrote:

@Marleah You know what's the difference between the App and a kiosk.. Kiosk people could get their higher ups to offer fixes on the spot.. vs App you have to come here for support and pick a long number on the queue. In the light of all the autopay problems.. which one would you prefer to have when you have problems?

@GinYVR,  Kiosks are not service centers they are for activations only so there are no higher up to offer fixes on the spot.  If you have an issue you still need to come to the community for customer service.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Marleah

@GinYVR  I suppose. But I live in a rural area so personally it is better for me just to send them a message as I can tell you now there is no way I'm driving 100+km's just to fix something they can do online. I understand what you're saying though. For most people it is much more convenient to go and see someone. 

I am having issues with the autopay right now unfortunately, so yay.

Ultimately apps like that probably don't get used much, well as much as an actual person in a store anyway. If they make one, woo hoo! But I can live without.

@Marleah You know what's the difference between the App and a kiosk.. Kiosk people could get their higher ups to offer fixes on the spot.. vs App you have to come here for support and pick a long number on the queue. In the light of all the autopay problems.. which one would you prefer to have when you have problems?

yea I thought this was put to bed lol

Marleah

Hi 🙂 

This thread may be dead, but I have something to say anyway.

They're opening stores (kiosks) paying employees, paying rent, paying taxes, paying for whatever else they have in there.

Personally I think they could have used that money to devolp an app that has the bare minimum of information. The PC mobile app (the provider I previously had) was simple, balance, date of renewal, and plan details. 

But maybe it's less expensive to open the stores, who knows.

TheOldVR

@will13am wrote:

I have service with the dog brand.  They have a phone app.  Honestly, I have no clue what I get out of having it in my device. 

Exactly.... forget the app and keep my bills low. The apps rarely offer any real value as I can easily access all my account data off the mobile site.

The Dog brand tried offering some app only offers for a bit, I'm sure that the five people who actually open the app might have enjoyed the offers... if of course they wanted to feed the Dog more money. Woof.

I'm forgetting something here.... oh yeah- GO RAPS!!!!

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

no

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hellsbells05 wrote:

@hellsbells05 if you have an Android phone, you may want to have a look here:  Appify Self-serve and/or Community sites

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sunflowershine

@hellsbells05 You are in prepaid services. If you are running out of limits, the outgoing calls will not work or data will be stopped. 

In order to keep you bill low, you have to understand your usage. Pick the plan fits your need. If you have to buy add-on, it is more costly. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@hellsbells05 wrote:

Probably not.  The carrier account apps are bloatware installed on some phone so that there can be an on-screen carrier logo.  Public Mobile doesn't sell phones so they might not bother.  The apps are like shortcuts to the self-serve sites and not much more.

@Triguy wrote:

Many people have inquired about an app but PM probably won't develp one as PM is a third tier provider.  Also they wouldn't invest the time and money to create one.

Nor should they, IMHO. As long as we have all these serious system issues cropping up, the resources should go into solving them.

I'm not an IT person, but the money might be spent better by setting up a whole new, rock solid self serve account platform from scratch (so that correcting one bug doesn't trigger another one somewhere else). And no, I don't hold my breath...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Many people have inquired about an app but PM probably won't develp one as PM is a third tier provider.  Also they wouldn't invest the time and money to create one.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Why would you volunteer another way for the company to monetize you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

I have service with the dog brand.  They have a phone app.  Honestly, I have no clue what I get out of having it in my device. 

Yeah a Telus phone will usually include their little app. I never used it. Now I'm here. Don't care. Please don't spend the money on one.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hellsbells05

If you want quick access to your account, you can always bookmark a shortcut to your home screen.

hellsbells05

I'd rather keep my bill low.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@hellsbells05 

Question has been ask many times.  Since Public mobile is a low cost, no frills company, there are no present plans for a PM app.  In the future, who knows....

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

No, there isn't. And considering that Koodo pulled theirs it's unlikely to happen here anytime soon.

Need Help? Let's chat.