cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing text messages while account was temporarily suspended

ian01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

last week my credit card was hacked and was deactivated by my bank around the same time I had to pay with auto-pay which also suspended my phone service. I had to acquire a prepaid visa card in order to pay to reactivate (as I am waiting for a new card) but during that time i was sent text messages that were of importance and was assuming I would be sent them after reactivating but have not received them yet? Where are the text messages now that my account has been reactivated?

(Back when I was on freedom mobile and my account would be suspended I would still be able to receive text messages and calls just not send them)

19 REPLIES 19

Rtf

That wasn't true for me. My account for suspended the day after payment was due.  No warning text or anything to let me know my account wasn't active. There was a problem with my card, I could have and did solve the card problem in 5 minutes but I still lost a customer who called while my account suspended. I only knew about this when I call him to ask why he hadn't reach out. It turns out he called and text menu times this morning but could get through. I would appreciate if Public Mobile at least give you warning and a 48 hrs grace period to solve any issues.  

@Anonymous wrote:

@ian01 wrote:

if you read the entirety of my first post i wrote

(Back when I was on freedom mobile and my account would be suspended I would still be able to receive text messages and calls just not send them)

Was that post-paid? Or pre-paid?

There's often lots of grace time with post-paid services. This pre-paid service is exactly that. Pre-paid. If you don't pay, you don't get.

I agree...I feel for ya. But it's just not how it works here. (and I'm betting no other pre-paid provider)

Freeom Mobile actually has a grace period for prepaid customers.

Freedom Mobile Pay Before customers who miss a payment will still have incoming call and text messaging services for up to 10 days after the time that the monthly plan payment was due. However, Freedom Pay Before also prorates in an unfavourable way for prepaid customers and breaks each month into 10 day blocks. If you end up using the service for any of the those 10 days (even only 1 day), they still charge for the full amount.

@ian01 

This is unfortunate but i can offer some advice for the future. I thought you might get your last 10 text messages but i confirmed with bf you do not get text messages. However if you self suspend your account by using lost/stolen and you do not use your phone to access your service you can retrieve voicemail for at least 7 days (possibly 30 days or more but beyond that has not been tested.) This does not work if you have been suspended due to nonpayment so you have to be proactive and suspend before an autopay failure/insufficient funds.

You have already acquired a prepaid credit card to pay for your service but remember you can always pay for your service using vouchers which are widely available  ( Shell, Mobil, SDM, london drugs, 7/11 etc...) Had you not let your autopay fail and paid manually beforehand either by credit, voucher or instant top up you could have left your compromised card on file for the autopay reward. Just not use it. Also if you need to get a replacement credit card from your financial institution ie a physical bank like RBC. Replacement credit cards can be sent to your branch within 3 business days. They will call you when they arrive and you just show picture id to collect it. This can be much quicker than the 5 to 10 business days mailing to your home can take (and more secure too!)

Are you located in a more remote place that shipping a sim card is your only option? SIM cards are for the most part readily available at many retailers. Or you can order a couple to have on hand the next time canadian cell supplies reduces their prices. (Currently $6.99 they were $1.99 on the weekend. They are often around $3.) They mail them to you for free in 5 business days or you can pick them up in North York, Oakville or Mississauga. Then you have one for a friend (referral) or a case like yours  or if you are a victim of simjacking.

I realize this doesn't help your current situation but can be helpful for the future.

ian01

wasting money on a temporary sim card from one company to make up for the shortfalls of another defeats the purpose of what I was trying to achieve by bringing light to a situation I was in when using PM’s service. Also I had no problems with activation when purchasing my sim card at a koodo kiosk in my area (at a upscale mall) – it was surprisingly quick and easy and the staff was helpful and polite. I would have done it online if PM provided 1 day shipping for the sim card but they do not and what we are talking about now is off topic from my original post.

@ian01 interesting... those kiosks are a fraudsters paradise.

if you had of activated online and this happened, we would of had big problems

ian01

2 months ago - store/kiosk obviously can’t go “3-to-5” business days without a phone waiting on a sim card

@ian01 how long ago did you switch from freedom to public? and did you activate at a store/kiosk or online

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ian01 wrote:

Prepaid. i would consider going back to freedom if it wasn’t for their lack of coverage outside of major cities & PM’s competitive pricing. I’m still surprised as I thought this feature would be standard on all carriers but now I know.

Post-paid is kind of a hybrid of the two. You pay up front to get the service like pre-paid. But then they catch up with any overages or extra charges at your next renewal. You also have to be you and also often have to go through a credit check. This place does neither.

ian01

Prepaid. i would consider going back to freedom if it wasn’t for their lack of coverage outside of major cities & PM’s competitive pricing. I’m still surprised as I thought this feature would be standard on all carriers but now I know.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ian01 Was your service with Wind/Freedom pre paid? IE you pay first and then get service or was it post paid, they billed you in arrears?

ian01

except for my previous provider wind/freedom mobile

@ian01 I had a reply done up, hit enter and it disappeared. It pretty much mirrored @Anonymous reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ian01 wrote:

Was that post-paid? Or pre-paid?

There's often lots of grace time with post-paid services. This pre-paid service is exactly that. Pre-paid. If you don't pay, you don't get.

I agree...I feel for ya. But it's just not how it works here. (and I'm betting no other pre-paid provider)

ian01

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ian01 While I can feel for you, this is not a feature at any cell provider that I am aware of.

ian01

This is incredibly upsetting to hear and I feel this is a feature public mobile should strongly consider implementing.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ian01 I can't imagine that your texts are anywhere. When they were sent your account/number was not valid, it wouldn't have gone through. PM doesn't save up the texts.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

When you suspend your service would not work.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to retrieve your texts.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ian01 wrote:

last week my credit card was hacked and was deactivated by my bank around the same time I had to pay with auto-pay which also suspended my phone service. I had to acquire a prepaid visa card in order to pay to reactivate (as I am waiting for a new card) but during that time i was sent text messages that were of importance and was assuming I would be sent them after reactivating but have not received them yet? Where are the text messages now that my account has been reactivated?

You will not get them, if the account was inactive when the messages were sent they wouldn't get delivered.  Just like you aren't able to leave a voicemail to a number that is no longer in service you wouldn't be able to do that with the text messages as well.  I would contact the people that were sending you those important texts and asking them to resend.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.