cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mile from a new Bell tower but cannot make calls

lskelly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

There is a new Bell tower a mile from where I often work - on Crystal Lake north of Bobcaygeon.  I get texts but all calls fail to connect, its not even clear that it is dialing.  I have an older Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge.  Is the issue with the phone, or with Bell giving reduced service to non-Bell phones?  Signal varies between 1 and 3 bars.  Unless I can fix I will need a new provider.

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @sheytoon.  I was looking at this list on the Koodo site: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=volte, where it appears the oldest S-series was the S8.  Might be worth a try with the old S7 then.  Hmmmmmm.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I thought S6 and newer are supported.

Screenshot_20210225-200019.png

Screenshot_20210225-200150~2.png

Screenshot_20210225-200200~2.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

@lskelly you will need to switch to Virgin, Koodo, Bell or Telus. They support VoLTE and you can keep your phone. Public Mobile voice calls currently don't work on LTE.

@sheytoon I may be wrong, but I don't believe the S7 series is included in the supported devices list for any of the Telus or Bell tiers.  I checked recently for Koodo specifically as I was thinking of temporarily using my partner's old S7 to see if I could get the VoLTE add-on provisioned for my Koodo line and then switch back to my VoLTE-capable-but-not-on-the-magic-list device to see what happens. But alas I did not see S7.  I'm fairly sure Koodo and Telus have the identical list (logically), and Bell/Virgin would be similar if not identical.  

I hope to be wrong about that, but if the S7 is not on any of those providers' list, you would need to either:

1) switch to one of those providers that offers VoLTE, and also get a device on the list, or

2) switch to Rogers/Fido, whom offer VoLTE on any VoLTE-capable device (to the best of my knowledge).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@lskelly you will need to switch to Virgin, Koodo, Bell or Telus. They support VoLTE and you can keep your phone. Public Mobile voice calls currently don't work on LTE.

@sheytoon wrote:

@computergeek541 that site has LTE only: B2, B12/17, B13, B29.

Thanks

@lskelly 

I was suspecting this and mentioned it in my previous message, but sheytoon has also confirmed it. The tower at in your area is incapable of providing voice service to Public Mobile customers.

@computergeek541 that site has LTE only: B2, B12/17, B13, B29.

@lskelly wrote:

There is a new Bell tower a mile from where I often work - on Crystal Lake north of Bobcaygeon.  I get texts but all calls fail to connect, its not even clear that it is dialing.  I have an older Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge.  Is the issue with the phone, or with Bell giving reduced service to non-Bell phones?  Signal varies between 1 and 3 bars.  Unless I can fix I will need a new provider.

I'm looking at the ertyu.org website and while I have not checked the accuracy, this cell site only has 700MHz and 1900MHz.  I do not have information as to whether the 1900MHz (band 2) is being used for only HSPA or for both HSPA and LTE, but the lack of 850MHz in a rural area would mean weak HSPA coverage in a rural area.  If the band 2 there is only being used for LTE, there will be zero voice coverage for Public Mobile customers in that area.  @sheytoon, do you know how to check for that? 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@lskelly wrote:

See what Mobile Network is being selected. You may see an increase in bars when other options are selected, but best to have auto connect chosen.

1 and 3 bars are fine. You should see an increase in bars once a call is in progress.

esjliv_0-1613253716040.png

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

More importantly, is there 3G coverage there? 

It is very possible to have LTE coverage, be able to use data and text, but not be able to make any calls.  Since Public Mobile does not offer VoLTE, 3G coverage is required for any calls, both incoming and outgoing from/to anywhere, to be completed.  Hopefully, this changes soon...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I don't think Bell would give 2nd class service to Telus.  They are alliance, Telus use Bell towers in Ontario and couple east side provinces while Bell uses Telus towers in the West coast..

did you try locking your phone on 3G only?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@lskelly 

Can you try your SIM card in another unlocked phone to see if performance is better.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@lskelly 

Try resetting your network.

You can also completely power down your phone and reboot - sometimes that helps reset network connections

If you continue to experience problems, contact the moderator who can make revisions on their end.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.