cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexico Roaming

thundertoast
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey all,

I'll be heading to Mexico in a couple days and I am planning on bringing my phone. Because Public Mobile doesn't have roaming in Mexico, I was wondering if I'll need to take my sim card out to avoid getting charged any extra or if I can just leave it in and not expect any extra fees. 

9 REPLIES 9

@smh23 wrote:

Since there is no roaming in Mexico is it even necessary to bother switching to airplane mode?

Airplane mode would use less batter power, alhtough if there's no service, the user could turn the phone off.

smh23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Since there is no roaming in Mexico is it even necessary to bother switching to airplane mode?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@thundertoast wrote:

Hey all,

I'll be heading to Mexico in a couple days and I am planning on bringing my phone. Because Public Mobile doesn't have roaming in Mexico, I was wondering if I'll need to take my sim card out to avoid getting charged any extra or if I can just leave it in and not expect any extra fees. 

As others have commented, you won't be charged any extra for anything while in Mexico. Your PM account won't work as soon as you exit Canada.

You can get an inexpensive Mx sim and calling plan, as previously suggested. Alternative is to get a free app from TextNow and you can make free calls and texts...as long as you have a robust wifi signal. I'm sure there are other good voip apps out there but I've used TextNow while in Mexico and can say it works surprisingly well. Calls are clear as a landline. And FREE !

Enjoy your trip.

@mimmo wrote:

@thundertoast  last time i was in mexico I bought a local sim, I believe it was less than $10 and included 1gb data calling to canada and usa and sms.

If important create a congo number and forward your calls to teh fongo number before you leave canada.  you will get voicemail and be able to call ppl on wifi, or if you get a local sim.

sms forwarding possible but requires leaving your sim in canada and in a spare phone that is left plugged in.

Hi @mimmo 

That's great info

I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy Canada roaming there and still have it cheaper here than anything we have to pick from.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thundertoast  last time i was in mexico I bought a local sim, I believe it was less than $10 and included 1gb data calling to canada and usa and sms.

If important create a congo number and forward your calls to teh fongo number before you leave canada.  you will get voicemail and be able to call ppl on wifi, or if you get a local sim.

sms forwarding possible but requires leaving your sim in canada and in a spare phone that is left plugged in.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you would like a SIM card, I have purchased several Telcel sim cards. They are available at OXXO convenience stores. A SIM is about $40 pesos, and a Amigo sin limite plan is about $100 pesos. Unlimited North America calling and text, and some data.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@thundertoast , no worries about getting charged.  Public Mobile is prepaid and so even if there was service in Mexico, you would have to buy it before you can use it.  Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the bill shock that you will not receive.  

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just leave it in, if you didn't pay for it you will not be able to use it. That simple with prepaid. Pm will never charge you after you use any service, you have to pay upfront. So no worries. Enjoy your trip:)

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@thundertoast 

You can leave it in.  No extra charges.  Your phone just won't work in Mexico.  No extra charges or overages with Public mobile.  Prepaid.  

Need Help? Let's chat.