cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mediterranean services

CET_GUY27
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Does anyone have experience with purchasing foreign sim cards/cell plans that will work in Turkey, Italy, Greece and Malta? I'm currently researching to have an emergency line if it babysitter needs to contact us for an upcoming trip and would like some personal testimonials if available.
8 REPLIES 8

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @CET_GUY27,

Enjoy your Mediterranean travels!

Cheers.

CET_GUY27

Looks like we'll probably go the iRoam option.

Vodafone was very confusing to try to navigate and I looked at possibly using one of the big 3 (RoBellUs) temporarily to use their roaming options but was looking at $140 total costs on the cheap end (if they would even let me sign up for a single month off contract).

iRoam may not be the cheapest, but at $30 to start (25 mins or 50 sms or 25MB included) and then $10 for another 25 mins or 50 sms or 25MB I think it will be our go-to. Also, we will have a canadian phone number so our babysitter (who is with Public) can call/text us at no charge and since incoming SMS are free, we know we can be reached for updates/emergencies.

Thanks for the help and I will report back at the end of June with how it all worked out.

Cheers

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

The best link I have ever found:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Tons of info here 

One warning I need to throw out though

Based on where you are going there is a LEGAL requirement for ID

Be VERY CAREFUL with putting your name on a SIM card you then give to someone else

Trouble can happen this way

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CET_GUY27 please note:  to use any international SIM, you will need to ensure your phone is carrier-unlocked.  Chances are, if you're using it on PM, it probably already is.  BUT, as phones locked to the Telus and Koodo networks work on PM without unlocking, I thought I'd mention it in case you fall into that category.  If so, you'll need to get your phone unlocked, and if not, then just ignore me.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CET_GUY27
I'll check those all out. Thanks so much!

https://personal.iroam.com iRoam covers all those countries and the SIM can be purchased at Staples. As 778 says, global roaming cards are not cheap unless used just for emergencies.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@CET_GUY27 Personally, I would go with the Fongo option mentioned by @imm1304 above. The roaming SIMs will be too expensive and a pain to arrange in advance.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @CET_GUY27!

It will depend on where you will start from and if you plan to spend more time in one country compared to the rest.

One very reliable option I have used is called "Smart Passport" on Vodafone sim card. They often have promotions and you get 500MB per day plus some local minutes and sms.  

Another popular choice would be 3 mobile.. but from the countries you listed, I think only Italy has native 3 mobile carrier.. so this is an option if you are starting in Italy.  

You can set up a free fongo app on your phone. You get a local Canadian number on fongo and the babysitter will call local number.   You need data/wifi wherever you are and will be reachable.  

Need Help? Let's chat.