cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Daily Spam Calls from Different Saskatchewan Numbers

jazzpolice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A few days ago I answered a random call from a Saskatchewan number. Ever since, I've been receiving 8-10 junk calls a day from varying Sask numbers. Obviously, blocking won't work since they are different each time. How do I stop from receiving these annoying junk calls? has my number somehow become part of a spam registry? I am both befuddled and interested by what has happened and above all would like it to stop.

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

@dougc wrote:

" . . . Dial '1' to get to the rep and  . . ."

Careful with that,    'cause if it is a redirect  number offered by the caller, there was a scam/fraud in play that  when you dialed that  1 (or similar option)  their tech' software  used your ph. number to run up a big charge paid to them (pay per call scenario)  via your  phone bill.    

And the service providers would usually hold the consumer liable for the charges  even when they  were placed from unsanctioned   9**-   (pay per call)  numbers.  

Incoming calls are always free.... Go ahead and press "1" all you want. No risk of getting charged. Hopefully pressing "1" gets a human on the line, then you can tell them you need to get your dad, then put them on hold and put the phone down... waste their time!

And as far as the risk of excessive charges if you choose to call a random number back, well, no risk with Public Mobile since none of that is included in our prepaid rate plans, the calls will simply fail. Anything which incurs a per-use fee just doesn't work here with Public Mobile.

I even programmed Lenny to press "1" to help get a human on the line when someone calls, or you forward a call to him:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

If you know an incoming caller is junk, and you'd rather the call just be disconnected immediately rather than answer it or send it to Lenny, set your declined/blocked conditional call forward to a dead end instead of your voicemail. The robodialer won't even see a connected call like they would even with voicemail answering.

To set, dial: *67*0000000000#

To undo, dial: ##67#

Now when you get a call you know is a junk call, simply decline the call and the caller will hear something to the effect of "Sorry you call did not go through" (voip.ms) or "Your call cannot be completed at this time" (SaskTel)

The idea here being the robodialers may blacklist your number due to the "not in service" response, and you get the added bonus of not having to go and delete junk voicemails after.

Alternatively, 306-545-8171 will simply tell the caller that the line is only equipped for outgoing calls:

There's also some other numbers can you send your declined calls to, for amusement when friends call too. Be especially careful which of your friends/coworkers you use this one on!!!!! --> 800-250-9562  🤣😆🤡😈

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

we're on prepaid guys...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dougc : Exactly. I would never press a button from any of those calls. I seem to remember other scams that people did when you pressed 1.

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@gpixel 

" . . . Dial '1' to get to the rep and  . . ."

Careful with that,    'cause if it is a redirect  number offered by the caller, there was a scam/fraud in play that  when you dialed that  1 (or similar option)  their tech' software  used your ph. number to run up a big charge paid to them (pay per call scenario)  via your  phone bill.    

And the service providers would usually hold the consumer liable for the charges  even when they  were placed from unsanctioned   9**-   (pay per call)  numbers.  

a ref.; 

https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents/IntlPhoneNumberScam201.pdf

a lot of scammer scenarios (including press '1' for )  - Yeech ; 

https://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Telemarketing/Inbound/MinorIn/cramming.htm

@jazzpolice 

Maybe give Lenny a go at it..... @Nezgar also has some very informative posts on using conditional call forwards etc....that will help with your issue. I'm sure he will chime in and direct you to the appropriate threads.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

I've had a no. of those Pesky Spams, BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, sometimes where it's a 2-digit No., too many ON Area codes, so far today, haven't receive one, as I find them distracting.

When I do answer, no one on the line

The numbers are likely all spoofed and likely originated from somewhere else. 

How to avoid on an iPhone. 

Build a good contact list file of friends, family, lovers, enemies, exes, or mistresses etc. 

No name on caller ID....don’t answer. 

Wrong name on caller ID....choose to not answer or block.....but don’t delete out of contacts. 

You can set Do Not Disturb to NOT answer a number that is NOT in your contacts list. As well as other options....like not to answer between certain hours and only from favourites along with some other options. 

rliu1993

Sad. I got average of 3 calls everyday

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No caller id   we don't pickup  nor do they leave a message !  

So we MIGHT get one scammer call (otherwise 0 !)   a day following this protocol.

If the call is legit,  they'll leave a message.  

And majority of our scammer calls  if not a 8**  number,  tend to be from Ontario and BC   !

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jazzpolice :Have you tried the app called robokiller? It probably not free but seen lots commercials for it on TV, and since there lots Public Mobile customers starting threads about scam callers, if anyone tried this app should let everyone else know if this app works and what it costs.

Here's my take @jazzpolice 

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.   If the person calling you needs you bad enough, they will leave a voice message, if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spam caller, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term)

From now on in, DON'T answer these calls. (i know it's hard, but you'll get used to it)

You'll notice, in time, they will decrease.

@jazzpolice wrote:

I guess I'll just keep blocking haha.

@jazzpolice    Basically that's all you can do for now if you don't want to change numbers, quite frustrating if you're getting numerous spam calls every day!  They should eventually decrease, but probably not for another couple of weeks or so..

jazzpolice

Ya I get those every now and again, but this is now like 8-10 SK numbers a day which is obviously off for someone who has never even stepped foot in that province. I feel like I've  ended up in a Sask specific spam ring haha

Nah, Spam calls these days comes from anywhere.  At least yours still showing a Sk number.  Many are just 1-888 numbers, or unknown calling, or those "fake" number using the same area code and same first 3 numbers

jazzpolice

I'm in Ontario and all the junk calls are from Sask which is weird. I have this number a long time and never had a problem with spam calls until now

jazzpolice

I guess I'll just keep blocking haha.

Yes, I do receive quite some Spam calls sometimes.  It's not really a PM issue.

Sometimes, it's the things that we signed up before and they might have "leaked" our numbers away.

Is your number new, wonder if it is a recycled number.  You might consider to get a new number if you are not attached to the current number yet.

jazzpolice

It was strange the only reason I picked up is because the first number left a message initially (blank), but usually spam numbers don't leave messages. I called back because sometimes I am contacted interprovincially for creative work. I got a real human who explained his number had been co-opted. Ever since its been non-stop. I definitely do not want the hassle of changing my number, getting all my friends and family on the new number and, also reprinting business cards haha. This sucks. Very frustrating the Public doesn't have any features to prevent this. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jazzpolice 

Spam callers seems to come in phases.  Nothing can be done from Public mobile side of things.  Try not to pick up and just keep blocking the number.  

You could put your number on the No Not Disturb registry in Canada, but these spammers don't care about that.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@jazzpolice 

You answered a call from a spammer. So they've added your number to their "active" list. Maybe they've also sold/traded their lists to other spammers.

Yes, your number is now a target. Public Mobile (Telus) doesn't have any built-in filtering or blocking services - their official explanation is that consumers can do a better job with blocking features on their devices.

Your choices basically boil down to blocking incoming spams indefinitely (hoping they'll eventually give up or run out of numbers) or to change your number (can do this free once 30 days through Self-Serve)..

Need Help? Let's chat.