cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made my decision of which new cellphone I want

Angelic_Fille90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi everyone, hope you all had a happy Canada Day long weekend.

I have now made my decision on which new cellphone I want.

*Drumroll* 

The Blackberry Torch 9800!

It is compatible with Public Mobile's 3G network as well.

I will purchase an Alcatel flip later this year as a backup, just to be safe. Cat Wink

Additional, I will keep my eye on any Blackberry Q10 just as a precaution. When it comes to buying stuff on Amazon or Ebay, you never know when it could be out of stock. Cat Tongue

12 REPLIES 12

Angelic_Fille90

@srlawren wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 not to be a jerk, but I doubt you're going to see any Apple or Samsung-toppling handsets from BlackBerry Mobile anytime in the foreseeable future.  That said, some of their newer handsets are quite cool and unique, and bring together the best of the BlackBerry essence with the flexibility and amazing app availability of Android.  The KeyONE in particular is pretty cool if you're in the market for something modern and with a physical keyboard!  So yes, they are rather unique, and will appeal to a certain segment of the buying public, but will likely never again have the mass appeal you're describing, unfortunately.

Yes, the technology has come a long way for sure. It would be nice to see Blackberry try and do something to give it momentum again. But as you said, it will never happen, which is a sad fact. 

But the good thing is, is that Blackberry still is in existence and some of their phones can work with Public Mobile. Cat Wink

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Angelic_Fille90 not to be a jerk, but I doubt you're going to see any Apple or Samsung-toppling handsets from BlackBerry Mobile anytime in the foreseeable future.  That said, some of their newer handsets are quite cool and unique, and bring together the best of the BlackBerry essence with the flexibility and amazing app availability of Android.  The KeyONE in particular is pretty cool if you're in the market for something modern and with a physical keyboard!  So yes, they are rather unique, and will appeal to a certain segment of the buying public, but will likely never again have the mass appeal you're describing, unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Angelic_Fille90

@stonechucker wrote:

Miss my Blackberry 6100.  Used it for nearly 6 years.  Only replaced it due to malfunctioning centre columns of keys - I could no longer enter my password!

large monochrome screen, scroll wheel, and an included belt hoalster. Aww... those were the days.

IF every BlackBerry comes up with something to blow Apple and Samsung out of the water, I'll let you know. Cat Wink

Cat Very Happy

I remember wanting a Blackberry so much, now I finally have the opportunity!

I'm surprise that not many people are seeking it [and any Alcatel basic models] as myself.

Yeah, I'm REALLY a basic cellphone fan. Cat Tongue

Miss my Blackberry 6100.  Used it for nearly 6 years.  Only replaced it due to malfunctioning centre columns of keys - I could no longer enter my password!

large monochrome screen, scroll wheel, and an included belt hoalster. Aww... those were the days.

Angelic_Fille90

@jpar wrote:

I remember the Torch! Kinda miss Blackberry now. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy

Glad to know fans of the Blackberry still exist and give it priase. Cat Very Happy

Angelic_Fille90

@srlawren wrote:

9800 eh, @Angelic_Fille90?  I think I still have one of those collecting dust in a drawer.  It was an "okay" phone at the time, thought the keyboard pailed in comparison to the Bold 9700 I had before it and the Bold 9900 that eventually replaced my 9900.  Wow, that feels like a lifetime ago.  (Since then:  Z10, then 1st gen Moto X, and now my OnePlus 3).

As @Luddite noted, you will get NO data service on the 9800.  I don't recall what your intended usage is.  If it's just for calling and texting, then you're golden.  But the older (9900 and older) BlackBerry devices required either a BIS (for personal accounts) or BES (for corporate accounts) server to provide data services.  Public Mobile does not operate a BIS, so you are out of luck if you need mobile data.  

I have the q10 still in mind plus I'm still going to get the Alcatel flip later this year.

I probably will buy the 9800 for my father. Cat Happy  

Angelic_Fille90

@Samianauman wrote:
I know right. Used to be bb was top of the line with their bb messenger and stuff. I think things got changed when all these app like whatsapp fb messenger then iPhone and Samsung start adding all new feature. Feel bad for bb.
I still remember those old golden days with Nokia 3310 lol with custom light on back and lighting keypad on front 🙂

And my first phone in 1996 lol size and weight waa equal to a brick.

Cat LOL

I'm glad I'm not the only one who perfers basic cellphones. Plus still remembers the brick size ones!

I wish Blackberry was popular again. It was THE phone to have and still is sought after.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

9800 eh, @Angelic_Fille90?  I think I still have one of those collecting dust in a drawer.  It was an "okay" phone at the time, thought the keyboard pailed in comparison to the Bold 9700 I had before it and the Bold 9900 that eventually replaced my 9900.  Wow, that feels like a lifetime ago.  (Since then:  Z10, then 1st gen Moto X, and now my OnePlus 3).

As @Luddite noted, you will get NO data service on the 9800.  I don't recall what your intended usage is.  If it's just for calling and texting, then you're golden.  But the older (9900 and older) BlackBerry devices required either a BIS (for personal accounts) or BES (for corporate accounts) server to provide data services.  Public Mobile does not operate a BIS, so you are out of luck if you need mobile data.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I know right. Used to be bb was top of the line with their bb messenger and stuff. I think things got changed when all these app like whatsapp fb messenger then iPhone and Samsung start adding all new feature. Feel bad for bb.
I still remember those old golden days with Nokia 3310 lol with custom light on back and lighting keypad on front 🙂

And my first phone in 1996 lol size and weight waa equal to a brick.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I remember the Torch! Kinda miss Blackberry now. Smiley Wink

Does the 9800 use OS 10? If not, my recollection is that data will not function.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Thanks for sharing.
🙂
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.