cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a call while at home (on wifi), no minutes seem to be used up. Possible?

lootie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm new and am not sure how PM calculates my usage of phone. I made a long call yesterday while at home, and while connected to my wifi. Is it possible that I took up 0 minutes out of my allotted plan because I was talking while using Wifi?

Thanks in advance,

Loots

18 REPLIES 18

lootie

Ah, I found the way to turn off data. It's unfortunately not super convenient, ie not in the pulldown menu (got a Pixel 3X). But no matter, I can keep this setting as is now that I've got it.

Thanks so much to everyone for your tips.

Pulling me from the dark ages.

@lootie   on your phone, you can toggle Mobile Data and it will stop the phone from using data.

Also, good thing for PM is that it is on surprise billing.  You get what you have paid for.  In case you used the data and it reaches 250MB in the cycle, it will stop working and won't cost you more (unless you pay for data add-on after)

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@lootie wrote:

@t_p wrote:

@lootie wrote:

Yeah, I used the phone dialer. But the weird thing is that when I check my usage on my account, it's still reading "0," as though I had not made any calls.

Can you post a screenshot of your phone usage?

Here's a shot: Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.00.47 PM.png

I'm trying not to let a mobile phone do the runaway train deal, where costs just add up like crazy. I spend almost no time on the phone but when I do, I need a Canadian number to work. 

Any ideas on how to stop all data usage when I'm not at home? I want to be able to text and call when I'm out and about. Mostly just text. I do not want to check my emails or 'use data.' If I put the phone in airplane mode, won't it prevent me from texting?

Your phone has a setting to turn Data on/off.

Usually you can see a button from the pulldown menu.

lootie

You may still want back up your outgoing plan minutes with the $5/500min add on so you don't get cut off in the middle of a VIPhone call. It's a one time purchase (add $5 to your account then buy the add on) that does not expire. It stays on your account rolling over each 30 days til completely consumed.

Keep in mind though if you have a chatty Cathy in your life (you?!!) then be forewarned pm does cut you off at 150 minutes. Probably a good thing....at least it is for me. Us girls in the fam can really chew the cud when we want to!! (Love you mom!) Pm will also text you when you have 10 minutes remaining of your 100 plan minutes regardless of whether or not you have a calling add on.😃

This Cathy is not chatty. I'm more of a text/email person!

Thanks for the tip on topping up. Much appreciated to you and everyone being so quick with help!

lootie

@t_p wrote:

@lootie wrote:

Yeah, I used the phone dialer. But the weird thing is that when I check my usage on my account, it's still reading "0," as though I had not made any calls.

Here's a shot: Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.00.47 PM.png

I'm trying not to let a mobile phone do the runaway train deal, where costs just add up like crazy. I spend almost no time on the phone but when I do, I need a Canadian number to work. 

Any ideas on how to stop all data usage when I'm not at home? I want to be able to text and call when I'm out and about. Mostly just text. I do not want to check my emails or 'use data.' If I put the phone in airplane mode, won't it prevent me from texting?

lootie

@barrascuk wrote:

Most VOIP are currently down. 

BUT did you call an 800? Those calls do not count against your 100 minutes. 

Yep. That's it. 800 number.

Thanks for this. I just needed to understand why I wasn't being charged.

Thank you!

@kselmak 

OMG...I love you! Mind blown!😲😀😁

@lootie 

I take it you're on the $15 plan. So having fongo or any other calling app that uses WiFi will conserve your 100 outgoing minutes. Fongo has the added bonus of working on mobile data as well. By call forwarding your pm number to it while in Canada its a pm ( lol...poor man's) work around for international roaming on WiFi and/or with a local/international SIM card.

And thanks to @kselmak it apparently works as caller id/outgoing non-metered calling. It's also useful for checking your voicemail by calling your number and pressing "*" once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #. Public Mobile also does not count calls to N/A toll free numbers. 

You may still want back up your outgoing plan minutes with the $5/500min add on so you don't get cut off in the middle of a VIPhone call. It's a one time purchase (add $5 to your account then buy the add on) that does not expire. It stays on your account rolling over each 30 days til completely consumed.

Keep in mind though if you have a chatty Cathy in your life (you?!!) then be forewarned pm does cut you off at 150 minutes. Probably a good thing....at least it is for me. Us girls in the fam can really chew the cud when we want to!! (Love you mom!) Pm will also text you when you have 10 minutes remaining of your 100 plan minutes regardless of whether or not you have a calling add on.😃

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@lootie wrote:

lootie

@softech wrote:

Only calls you made from your dialer will be counted towards your minutes bucket.

So, depends on how you made the calls, did you use the phone dialer or apps

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@lootie wrote:

Hi,

I'm new and am not sure how PM calculates my usage of phone. I made a long call yesterday while at home, and while connected to my wifi. Is it possible that I took up 0 minutes out of my allotted plan because I was talking while using Wifi?

If you made a phone call through WIFi that means you did use some 3rt party app (mentioned above: textnow, fongo, etc.).

Calling through WiFi does NOT use your PM minutes and comes handy if free WiFi is close by: store, coffe-shop, home, etc.)

TextNow is working so it is not down. Just sent/received few SMS and received call...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @lootie 

If you connect to wifi you don't use your data but if you use pm to call you will be using your outgoing minutes.

I have a great trick that makes any call into outgoing call. You need your wifi or data only to initiate your call. For that you need free fongo account. You may initiate your call either with their app on your smartphone or on your PC/mac computer.

The people who you call will see your cell number(not fongo) as caller and if they call back they will call your cell 

Fongo provides free call transfer. 

You call your cell using fongo and you answer the call.

Back on your PC (or on fongo app on your smartphone) you press 'call transfer' and enter the destination number.

Fongo will disconnect and only your cell and the party you are calling will be in conversation.

You will be using your unlimited incoming minutes for that call

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

@barrascuk   not most Voip are down.  Fongo and FPL are working.  I think just voip.ms is impacted... not everyone uses voip.ms

😲

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lootie 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

if you used on wifi like any app is PM not calculates your minutes,

@barrascuk   not most Voip are down.  Fongo and FPL are working.  I think just voip.ms is impacted... not everyone uses voip.ms

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Most VOIP are currently down. 

BUT did you call an 800? Those calls do not count against your 100 minutes. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@lootie   if you have been using VoIP app (TextNow, Fongo, Whatsapp calls, FB Calls, etc)  for calls , then no , it won't count towards your minute.  The VoIP app you use uses internet from your Wifi

Only calls you made from your dialer will be counted towards your minutes bucket.

So, depends on how you made the calls, did you use the phone dialer or apps

BCW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public mobile does not support wifi calling.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@lootie wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Loots

That's correct. Calling on wifi doesn't use PM minutes.

Although if you have Unlimited phone plan, that wouldn't matter anyway.

Need Help? Let's chat.