cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MODERATOR PLEASE RESPOND; SIM card hijacked

southernfarm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have confirmed my sim card was changed.  I have changed my password, my security question, and I have disabled my account.  See ticket # xxxxxxxxxx. I have seen this happen before with my son's PM account.

28 REPLIES 28

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

an announcement could've triggered the beginning of the end for the company. PM is growing, i don't think they would be able to overcome that hurdle if they were branded as an unsecure company. which is somewhat true... 😯🤫. 

Public is Telus. Account security starts with good passwords.

@cellphoneuser1 I agree that a good password is essential but it is meaningless if the company database was hacked. This is why you should have a different password for every site. Telus should have at the very least advised everyone of:

"a potential data breach and as a result, out of an abundance of caution, we are advising all customers to change their password immediately."

I'm sure they could have set that up to force you to reset it during your next log in.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

an announcement could've triggered the beginning of the end for the company. PM is growing, i don't think they would be able to overcome that hurdle if they were branded as an unsecure company. which is somewhat true... 😯🤫. 

A surprising amount of people don't seem to realize any of the flanker brands are just the big three four in disguise, they double-take when they figure out they are just giving money to the same company they most likely just left up the chain. there isn't really any true competition in this country, since every provider in this country is owned by an incumbent. 

@gpixel wrote:

@bgreggnutrition 

Good I hoping it wasn't that easy to find you. Perhaps you should consider ordering a couple of cheap sim cards from Canadian Cell Supplies to have around for emergencies ( or referrals.)

bgreggnutrition

@darlicious I do not. 

@bgreggnutrition 

Just out of curiosity you don't live in Guelph do you?

@gpixel 

Public mobile should have made an announcement to all its customers at the time to change their passwords regardless if they may or may not have been a victim of the security breach. Interestingly we have yet to see a regular member fall victim to a simjacking. Coincidence? Regardless I think I should make some changes just to be safe.

bgreggnutrition

@bgreggnutrition wrote:

I was SIM-jacked late Thursday night into Friday. It took approximately 15-17 hours for the moderators to reinstate my mobile number to my original SIM card. It is very frustrating, and there should be more systems in place by Public Mobile to prevent fraudsters from changing SIMs so easily. 

That's just unacceptable.  It is astonishing how many of these seem to occur.

SIM-jacks (SIM swapping, SIM hacks) are only able to be done when Public Mobile authorizes/allows your number to be associated with another SIM card. 

I wonder if Public Mobile could be found civilly liable for any damage this may do if the proper validation and verification measures are not put in place, or taken by them and their systems, to prevent this?

@bgreggnutrition , do you have social media presence in which your personal information may be shared/available on public forums?   Have you had any other instances of identity theft or similar types of situations?

bgreggnutrition

I didn't.... my account was hacked. 

@bgreggnutrition wrote:

I was SIM-jacked late Thursday night into Friday. It took approximately 15-17 hours for the moderators to reinstate my mobile number to my original SIM card. It is very frustrating, and there should be more systems in place by Public Mobile to prevent fraudsters from changing SIMs so easily. 

It's frustrating and yeah there should be more done but it all comes down to not giving anyone your password and account information. Without those, people do it can't get in.

bgreggnutrition

@bgreggnutrition wrote:

I believe I was a customer prior to March 2020. I just checked my account and I have $56 of pre-pay credits, so I believe that would mean I have been a customer for 28 months. 

Your Community account was created in Nov 2018, so you're pretty well bang on with your estimate.

Did you say that you, too, were also SIM-jacked recently?  

That is not good.   How long did it take for the Moderators to address and reinstate your mobile number to your SIM card?

@bgreggnutrition you're a victim of the Koodo Feb 2020 breach. login credentials were leaked. most likely more though

bgreggnutrition

I believe I was a customer prior to March 2020. I just checked my account and I have $56 of pre-pay credits, so I believe that would mean I have been a customer for 28 months. 

@bgreggnutrition how long have you been a customer for? were you a customer before or after March 2020

bgreggnutrition

Same thing happened to me yesterday! I think there must have been a breach at Public Mobile! Very frustrating. And they will not answer my questions as to how this happened!

@southernfarm 

I do hope you secured all your financial accounts, especially any which may use two-factor authentication if the subject phone number was the one set up for that.

Please report back how long it took the moderators to address this -  it's my belief it should be a higher priority request.

Good luck!!!

southernfarm

Not an option.  Had to order my sim the first time.  No local sales.

@southernfarm 

You cannot edit a ticket that's already been submitted.

If it has been more than 2 hours since submitting - and you made no mention of being Sim jacked - I might recommend submitting another ticket.

In doing so, reference the original ticket number so they know it's part of the same request.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@southernfarm You could choose to go to a store that sells SIM's and change to it and then request that the moderators credit you back the cost. That way you might get going sooner than waiting.

Or use any of the available voip apps while on wifi like TextNow that do talk and text.

southernfarm

How do I edit my Ticket?  I followed prompts but did not get chance to add details, including currently not able to use my phone.

@southernfarm 

You have done everything right!  Well done. Moderator response time should only be a couple of hours at most. The moderators can restore your service back to your current sim card however there is always the option of resyoring service by replacing your sim card with a new one if necessary.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@southernfarm 

Make sure you specified in the ticket request that you have been sim-jacked and you are without service.

If you didn't, please do so with that information.

It's been my experience that the more specific and impactful a matter, it may receive some type of priority versus those requests which aren't as impactful and time-sensitive.

Also, as this is the 2nd time, it's a good idea to look over your passwords and usernames to make sure they don't contain any identifiable information within them AND to make sure you're not posting anything online of a nature which may be linked to you, as an individual.

(i.e.  putting your ticket number online in a public forum may seem minor, however it's a ticket assigned to YOUR account so things such as that should be kept from public forums)

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@southernfarm wrote:

I have confirmed my sim card was changed.  I have changed my password, my security question, and I have disabled my account.  See ticket # 180582-670. I have seen this happen before with my son's PM account.

If you have submitted a ticket already all you can do is wait for the moderators to get back to you. It may take up to 48 hours.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@southernfarm wrote:

I have confirmed my sim card was changed.  I have changed my password, my security question, and I have disabled my account.  See ticket # 180582-670. I have seen this happen before with my son's PM account.

@southernfarm You have taken the correct initial steps. If you used your number for any 2FA or password resets, check those accounts as well. You now need to contact a moderator.

Edit: You already contacted a moderator? You just need to wait for a reply.

How to Open a Ticket / Contact Moderators

1. Click Chat Bubble and type "Open Ticket"

2. Click "Contact PM Support"

3. Select "Account Specific Question"

4. Click "No, I Need A Human Now"

5. Select the link "Click Here To Submit A Ticket"

6. This opens a new window. Log in with Community Account NOT your self serve.

7. Provide log in info of Self Serve account.

8. Follow prompts.

Need Help? Let's chat.