cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS texts say 'sent' but not being received

bradC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I sent two MMS texts the other day (which didn't contain a picture, just were long texts so got converted to 'multimedia'), and despite having done this successfully many times before, including with Public Mobile, this time they did not go through and the recipient said they just got a message saying something about how I had tried to send an attachment, but they did not receive the texts.  (It wasn't actually an attachment though, it was just two regular MMS texts, no photo).  I checked my phone settings, and it still has cellular data turned on, and although I have the cheapest plan, I'm not near my maximum data for the month at all, so no reason why it shouldn't be sending an MMS message. 

Also, clicking on the messages themselves and they both say "sent" still on my end and have the times they went through, so no sign on this end that it didn't work.  Does anyone know what would explain this, and why it seems the messages just went into the ether like that and my recipient could see I was trying to send something but they didn't get it and got that error message instead?  Is it just delayed (like more than a day?!) and will still arrive, or once it says sent on my end if they didn't actually get it then that means it is not going through at all? Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8

I've seen the attachment thing when someone tries to send me an MMS to my email address. This works, but I found their text message shows up in an attachment to the email. The email itself has not much. Just in case you sent to your recipient's e-mail address, instead of their phone number...

bradC

@Helpershelper @benfatto @kselmak @Dunkman Thank you all for your tips and suggestions, very helpful!  I will look into these possibilities!  Didn't know which to give the 'solution' to, so I just chose the one who responded first, and also since they wrote with another suggestion after, but thank you all for your great feedback and ideas! 

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bradC 

If you have an iPhone can you try enabling iMessage: settings > messages > iMessage. If it is enabled you can try disabling it if enabling it doesn't fix the problem. You can also try removing your SIM and inserting it back in the phone.

Both users can try going to settings > apps > all apps filter is selected. Scroll down and find the messaging app. Tap on storage > clear data > clear cache.

Both users can also try increasing the text message limit in that messaging app by going into the settings of the messaging app and going to text message limit then increasing that limit.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bradC  While you must have data enabled to send/receive MMS, there are no data charges from PM. You don't even need a data plan for MMS to function. 
If you have another unlocked phone, try your SIM there to rule out a phone issue. 

Ate they by any chance with Fido? I had issue work a family member as they have smaller size allowance then we do, I had to make sure it is very small for Fido numbers. I be suspect Rogers and chatr would have the same issue I just never treated it.

You sent it without any errors on your side so you should be good, it's bite that they can't receive it.

Also my mom turns data and bluetooth randomly so it's worth checking that it's actually on

@bradC 

Might want to try to send  MMS texts to other numbers to see whether MMS texts work.  Hard to say whether the problem is on your end or the receiver.  

Maybe try reboot your phone.  Network reset.  

bradC

Thanks for your message, but I'm almost positive they have data enabled because I'd sent them MMS texts as recently as 2 weeks before and it worked just fine (plus they know a lot more about their cellphone than I know about mine, so I'm thinking it's something on my end that's wrong?).  But not sure why it says 'sent' and gave me no indication that it didn't go through, but then doesn't seem to give them the option of actually reading it.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

They should enable data to receive mms

Need Help? Let's chat.