cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS received and sent without using data (just from WIFI)

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I have started noticing this for some time now, but it seems that 75% of the MMS I receive or send do not require *Mobile* data anymore, just an active WIFI connection does it. 

Am I hallucinating or something else is going on ?

Edited to clarify . 

BTW running android

16 REPLIES 16

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As others have said, MMS does not consume data on your plan, but it does need an active data connection on your phone (and the receiving end) to be properly sent.

@AndroidFTW wrote:

None of my Sony Xperias require/required data or WIFI to send MMS.

MMS does not and cannot be sent over Wi-Fi.  For MMS to be sent or received, you must be connected to the data network,  There's no other way around that. 

There are some apps that can send a picture over Wi-Fi, but when the app does that, that isn't actually consdiered to be MMS.  In addition, when not connected to Wi-Fi, those apps would be using your cellular data amounts.

MMS usage does not get counted toward your monthly/30 day/90 plan data usage, but it still does require the data connection to be used.

AndroidFTW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

None of my Sony Xperias require/required data or WIFI to send MMS. I dont know if it is because of the provider or what.

Thanks

@computergeek541 wrote:

I am wondering if what @zhadj030 amd @lspring are experiencing is one of thoe quasi-instant messaging/standard texting apps.  In the case of Textra, it's not impossible that the software developers have implemented a computer server to process messages through the use of a standard internet connection (either by choice or when cellular data is unavailable),  but at that point, any of those messages cease to be simple SMS or MMS.  Apple has done this for a while.  Hangouts and I believe Facebook Messenger can also be now set to handle standard SMS and MMS, but both programs can also be used for instant messaging purposes.

I know that most users might not care about the technical side of that and for many, customers would probably consider both delivery methods to have the same end result.  I'm only speaking in the strictest sense of what my understanding of what SMS and MMS is.

That would mactually make a lot of sense if it was true . Could be something that Textra does 

tazzy_s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

MMS is usually tied to your texting services, since it uses a similar protocol to sms. Usually a lot of plans may include unlimited video and picture texts aka mms. That does require a cellular connection. MMS usually is separate from mobile data as mobile data handles connecting to internet services like email, etc if not on a wi-fi network and would not count against said data since it's considered picture or video texting at that point. Some carriers may offer calling and texting over wi-fi, especially is cellular connection is poor, others may not. 

@sheytoon wrote:

Agree 100% with @computergeek541.

@lspring, unfortunately you're wrong. Put your phone in airplane mode and then only enable WiFi. You won't be able to send or receive any MMS.

Or you can remove the SIM entirely. Same result.

Obvious typos aside (sorry, was using my phone to type one of the previous messages), to my knowledge, Wi-Fi usage isn't even  in the SMS and MMS protocol specifications.

I am wondering if what @zhadj030 amd @lspring are experiencing is one of thoe quasi-instant messaging/standard texting apps.  In the case of Textra, it's not impossible that the software developers have implemented a computer server to process messages through the use of a standard internet connection (either by choice or when cellular data is unavailable),  but at that point, any of those messages cease to be simple SMS or MMS.  Apple has done this for a while.  Hangouts and I believe Facebook Messenger can also be now set to handle standard SMS and MMS, but both programs can also be used for instant messaging purposes.

I know that most users might not care about the technical side of that and for many, customers would probably consider both delivery methods to have the same end result.  I'm only speaking in the strictest sense of what my understanding of what SMS and MMS is.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 I *think* what @lspring is trying to say is that if you are connected to Wi-Fi it's safe to turn on your mobile data to send/receive MMS because the rest of your data usage (including any unexpected incidental background syncing etc) would go through the Wi-Fi.  This is generally true but not 100% of the time because some phones seem unable to send and receive MMS messages while attached to a WiFi network.  My mother's old Nexus 5 had that issue for example, while her newer Moto G5 Plus does not (nor have any of my own phones).

Perhaps, although lspring does mention being able to send the messages using wi-fi after turning the cellular data off (or "not on th mobile network" in that past post).

I believe that I did read about needing to turn Wi-Fi off because of that bug (was probably on hear that I heard about that), but I never ran into it myself.

Agree 100% with @computergeek541.

@lspring, unfortunately you're wrong. Put your phone in airplane mode and then only enable WiFi. You won't be able to send or receive any MMS.

Or you can remove the SIM entirely. Same result.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 I *think* what @lspring is trying to say is that if you are connected to Wi-Fi it's safe to turn on your mobile data to send/receive MMS because the rest of your data usage (including any unexpected incidental background syncing etc) would go through the Wi-Fi.  This is generally true but not 100% of the time because some phones seem unable to send and receive MMS messages while attached to a WiFi network.  My mother's old Nexus 5 had that issue for example, while her newer Moto G5 Plus does not (nor have any of my own phones).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@lspring wrote:

You can send and receive messages and with picture attachment provided you are in a wifi spot. That means, your phone connects to the internet and therefore the data is used from the internet connection outside the mobile network.

Soery, bt no you can't.  This thread is talking about MMS.  MMS cannot and does not send over Wi-Fi. MMS can only be sent and received using celluar data.  There are other ways to send picture attachements such as instant mesaging apps, but by definition, those aren"t using the MMS protocol.

lspring
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can send and receive messages and with picture attachment provided you are in a wifi spot. That means, your phone connects to the internet and therefore the data is used from the internet connection outside the mobile network.

@youbmewrote:

What phone are you using @zhadj030? When I had a OnePlus 2, I noticed that MMS would work when data was turned off (WiFi off or on, didn't matter). When sending an MMS, mobile days would temporarily turn on to send the message then turn itself back off. 

It was a really convenient 'feature' for me, but I've never noticed it with other phones since (I now have a Google pixel and my wife uses a Samsung S7).

Try sending an MMS with WiFi off and pay attention to the mobile signal, you might see out flash with LTE/3g/4g indicating data was turned on to send the message.

Interesting, that would be handy indeed

I am using the LG V20 while I have tried keeping an eye on the data it became a hit or a miss. Sometimes the MMS is sent and other times it wont work unless data turns on. 

I will just keep an eye on it as a curiosity as it doesnt really bother me 

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What phone are you using @zhadj030? When I had a OnePlus 2, I noticed that MMS would work when data was turned off (WiFi off or on, didn't matter). When sending an MMS, mobile days would temporarily turn on to send the message then turn itself back off. 

It was a really convenient 'feature' for me, but I've never noticed it with other phones since (I now have a Google pixel and my wife uses a Samsung S7).

Try sending an MMS with WiFi off and pay attention to the mobile signal, you might see out flash with LTE/3g/4g indicating data was turned on to send the message.

@Anonymous @Korth thanks for the input, just to clarify I am just talking about android  and just using the default SMS/MMS system using Textra meaning I am not talking about IM apps . 

I am fully aaware that to send/receive an MMS you need an active mobile data (LTE/WCDMA-HSPA), what I did not know and seem to notice that just using the default texting app (Textra on Android ) I am able to send an MMS or receive it just by having WiFi connected (mobile data turned off) 

There are apps which emulate iMessage on Android.  Although they apparently aren't as good as the "real" iMessage stuff Apple embeds in iPhones.  Still, there are many ways to send/receive attachments across WiFi without Data.  The "downside" is that you need to install an app and the person (or people) on the other end need(s) to install the same or similar app ... so you can't send/receive attachments to/from "strangers" unless you have active mobile Data.

I prefer WhatsApp for such stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhadj030, MMS requires a data connection, even if there is no data in the plan.  Of course,  if you are on n iPhone,  for example,  you could be using imessage,  which doesn't require data(it can send over wifi)

Need Help? Let's chat.