cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower priced data-only plans coming soon!

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
16 REPLIES 16

mikga
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Agree!!!! Smiley LOL

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

They should come up with 1GB data plan at $10/m Smiley Happy

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/17/crtc-decision-slap-in-face/

In the above article, seems like critics are pretty much universally slamming the the CRTC ruling on the low-cost data options.  I'll agree that this article and the quotes within in are clearly negative and one-sided, but I'm sure there has been many other articles (even on the same tech site) that have towed the company line about how the carriers and the CRTC think that these plans are great and will give many options to Canadians who don't want to or can't spend much on mobile data.

My take on it:  The only winners with this ruling and these plans are the carriers who will be (still) laughing all the way to the bank with these plan pricings.

@will13am wrote:

This has allowed Freedom to reach critical mass and expand in a credible way.  If the timeline for virtual elimination of overages in home internet is any indication, we should see much larger data buckets in the next 2-3 years.  Small victory for the consumer! 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/16/freedom-mobile-announces-plans-to-extend-lte-coverage-in-2019/

Big 3 will be looking forward to RCS or 5G implementation, but freedome will "expand LTE coverage" there Smiley LOL

@popping wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

They will only start dancing in the streets when buck a gig data is offered 😄 

Data overage prices are grossly outdated and they are intentionally keeping them high until someone forces them to adjust to current times.  

@srlawren wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

Even at these relatively lower prices, data only plans appear to be expensive and I dont think many customers will be thrilled to hear these prices.  

@imm1304 I just looked outside and see nobody dancing in the streets!!  LOL.

I wonder if this will have any trickle down effect?  For example, data overage at most of the 1st and 2nd tier brands is currently being charged at the ri-dic-u-lous price of $10/100MB (or, one hundred smackers per GB).  I wonder if we will see them come down to PM add-on level of $30/GB for their overages.

CRTC should tell Big-3 to charge data overage by 1 MB increment.  I know Cityfone charges 5 cents/MB in 1 MB increment.  After 6 month with Cityfone, people can switch to loyalty plan with the data overage charge of 2 cents/MB in 1 MB increment = $20/GB.  When you are over by 10 MB, it will cost you 20 cents at Cityfone vs Big-3 $10 even you are over by only 1 byte.

Even this is too expensive!  I think the big 3 has cracked open the door to cheap/unlimited data plans last year with the $60/10GB plan and more recently the free 100GB data bucket.  There is a slight crack in the door and there is no way to fully reclose it.  They had deferred the inevitable quite well, maybe too good of a job.  This has allowed Freedom to reach critical mass and expand in a credible way.  If the timeline for virtual elimination of overages in home internet is any indication, we should see much larger data buckets in the next 2-3 years.  Small victory for the consumer! 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/16/freedom-mobile-announces-plans-to-extend-lte-coverage-in-2019/

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@imm1304 wrote:

Data overage prices are grossly outdated and they are intentionally keeping them high until someone forces them to adjust to current times.  

@srlawren wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

Even at these relatively lower prices, data only plans appear to be expensive and I dont think many customers will be thrilled to hear these prices.  

I wonder if this will have any trickle down effect?  For example, data overage at most of the 1st and 2nd tier brands is currently being charged at the ri-dic-u-lous price of $10/100MB (or, one hundred smackers per GB).  I wonder if we will see them come down to PM add-on level of $30/GB for their overages.

CRTC should tell Big-3 to charge data overage by 1 MB increment.  I know Cityfone charges 5 cents/MB in 1 MB increment.  After 6 month with Cityfone, people can switch to loyalty plan with the data overage charge of 2 cents/MB in 1 MB increment = $20/GB.  When you are over by 10 MB, it will cost you 20 cents at Cityfone vs Big-3 $10 even you are over by only 1 byte.

canadave
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Agreed. I'm a fairly light/normal user of data, and my monthly data usage is generally just over 2 GB. I think 3GB is a reasonable amount of data for most everyday use per month.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Lol, this is pretty much useless anyone willing to shop can find much cheaper data than this.  This reminds me of the days when Bell tried to convince the CRTC that it costs a dollar to deliver 1GB of data overage for home internet.  The timelines of this announcement makes both CRTC and carrier look dumb.  Practically every carrier brand is offering 100 GB bonus data buckets to attract new customers.  How can anyone get excited to a government imposed $30 per gig plan. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/17/crtc-decision-slap-in-face/

imm1304

@srlawren wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

srlawren

@imm1304 wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

The issue is old, but today's article provides an update.  CRTC got the carriers to agree to lower the prices so that the new norm will be that 1GB of data only plan will cost $30 ($28 at Virgin).  Also, $15 data only plan will offer 250MB of data.  This is the key point they agreed on and will implement within 90 days.  

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

What reported by CBC article is not new?

Koodo was already offering $30 500MB data only BYOP plan for at least a few months already.  

Cityphone, a third-tier Rogers provider, offers $36 4GB data/400 CW minutes/unlimited MMS for a while.

It isn't new, and I'm not sure what is new that is being reported in this article.  I suspect that CBC is just recycling the same story.  When I heard about this the first time around, the carriers inisisting how they offer such great value for the money, but customers were almost universially making fun of what they considered laughable proposed pricing and data amounts. 

They mentioned that these plans are coming within 90 days, so it's new enough.

@popping wrote:

Koodo was already offering $30 500MB data only BYOP plan for at least a few months already.  

Cityphone, a third-tier Rogers provider, offers $36 4GB data/400 CW minutes/unlimited MMS for a while.

It isn't new, and I'm not sure what is new that is being reported in this article.  I suspect that CBC is just recycling the same story.  When I heard about this the first time around, the carriers inisisting how they offer such great value for the money, but customers were almost universially making fun of what they considered laughable proposed pricing and data amounts. 

popping

srlawren

@RobertQc errr, these are data-only plans, that's kind of the point of them.

This is "good" news, but 1GB isn't enough, especially if you're going data-only and rely on mobile data for VoIP and messaging.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Haiggy wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/low-cost-data-crtc-1.4949421

@HaiggyHopefully this extends to the add-on data cost.

Please, please public mobile @Alan_K extend these new data offers (when they come out) in the 90 variety with talk/text.... not just "data-only" plans

Need Help? Let's chat.