cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Cell Phones Costs in Canada!

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

Has anyone here written their MP, the PM or Opposition Leaders about lowering cell phone costs in Canada?

Just sucks we pay more than the UK and USA.

27 REPLIES 27

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabr is right, your friends should hurry up before the plan is no longer offered... And most importantly, do not forget the Refer-a-friend offer, you will save 1$ per month and your friends too !

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

@TIANRUI wrote:

I am very happy that i got the $25/m plan. it just cost me $23/m and only one hour after i activated. several of friends are interesed in it.

If you're friends are interested they better sign up by 22nd April because the $25 plan and couple of others are being discontinued.  Check out announcement link.

TIANRUI
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am very happy that i got the $25/m plan. it just cost me $23/m and only one hour after i activated. several of friends are interesed in it.

Patrick_R

Great if other's saw the comparison

Patrick_R

True, but Canadians pay far to much for to long for cell phone service and it is never addressed.

@Jbanks1989 wrote:

We also pay way more than in israel. 

I'm not sure it's quite fair to compare Canada to Israel for mobile services, seeing how Canada's vast geography to population density would mean far greater infrastructure costs against a more smaller and densely populated region.  Maybe the comparison should be against a country like Australia which seem to offer much cheaper mobile plans than we get. Not sure how they manage to do that and we can't here though.

Jbanks1989
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We also pay way more than in israel. 

wickedgx

The REAL problem is that there aren't enough competition in Canada VS USA. Competition drives prices down. The big 3 are too big of an influence over the cell phone industry, buying smaller companies out of business.

Patrick_R

Well if many Candians would write their MP's and keep this a ongoing campain MAYBE we can get a solution and a bill tabled in the House to finaly look into the high costs for cell service in Canada

Patrick_R

Agreed but always room for improvement since we as Canadians do pay the highest fees than anyone else.

We all want lower bills. It won't happen overnight. Some of Public plans are a good start.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Have not try to lower it by contacting mp etc.  

Who doesnt want lower bill, its unlikely to happen anytime soon in canada.

JaimeLaPizza

Any company wants to get your dollars.  If enough people are willing to pay price X for service Y, why would the companies lower their prices ?  I would not.  Now, if enouigh people make the effort of really finding the best deal, the companies offering service X at price Y will begin losing customers and they will begin to consider lowering their prices.  As long as Canadians complain about "the big three (or whatever number) are charging way too much" but not switching to the lesser known company (hello Public Mobile !) that sells the service for the smaller price, well, prices are going to remain sky-high (but not at Public Mobile !).    

Tiprix

While I'm all for lowering cell phone cost, I don't know if I would go to the extent of contacting my MP or the PM.  A good thing about public mobile is that it provides the opportunity to reduce your bills through different means. An aspect I never experienced with any other provider.

JackQuint

@Triguy wrote:

We have reliable and fast wireless networks but compared to other countries, we do pay a lot more for service.  Just saw this article.  https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/23/ndp-lower-cell-service-fees-federal-election/

I have some difficulty with the premise. My PM phone is for all intents and purposes a CarPlay device as my car doesn't support Android Auto and PM is the best deal for data only at the rate I'll use it (esp. factoring in rewards).

But, I have a plan for my primary phone through another carrier thay more than lines up against any Verizon/AT&T/Vodafone offering. I won't particularize it here because it's not appropriate except to point out that people just need to learn how to negotiate for themselves.

@slash407 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi

Has anyone here written their MP, the PM or Opposition Leaders about lowering cell phone costs in Canada?

@Patrick_R no I haven't, as I'm not a fan of bashing my head against brick walls.  But I wish you the best of luck your letter-writing campaign!  

EDIT: why did you mark @Alex888's response as the solution to this thread?  He told you how to edit your post, not how to contact your MP, the PM or Opposition Leaders.  No offense Alex--your post was helpful, but your response didn't even answer the question, let alone provide a solution to the topic.

welcome to PM where the most basic response gets accolades....its the norm.....just write "PM is great" at the end of every sentence and u'll get 10 bravos and more

I am lobbying for access to a down vote button exclusively for oracle use to negate up to 10 bravos per down vote.  You better be on your best behavior.  Smiley Tongue

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick_R wrote:

It is unfortunate the system of marking it as the solution makes it look like that is the solution.

@Patrick_R okay now I just have to ask:  what did you think the Accept as Solution button would do, if not make it look like that reply was the solution?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@slash407 wrote:

welcome to PM where the most basic response gets accolades....its the norm.....just write "PM is great" at the end of every sentence and u'll get 10 bravos and more

When it comes to community rewards, bravos aren't everything.   People are free to bravo what they like, but if it really were that easy to get 10 bravos, I should have more than 40,000 of them by now.  Let's assume that it really is that easy to get 10 or more bravos just by saying "PM is great".  That would just mean that everyone would have many more bravos and that it would require more of them to earn each reward level. It would be the same for everyone, so I'm not sure why that would matter.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

We have reliable and fast wireless networks but compared to other countries, we do pay a lot more for service.  Just saw this article.  https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/23/ndp-lower-cell-service-fees-federal-election/

mimmo

@Patrick_R wrote:

I was noting his suggestion of the edit.

It is unfortunate the system of marking it as the solution makes it look like that is the solution. The system would let me take the marked as solution down

I removed the solution

Patrick_R

I was noting his suggestion of the edit.

It is unfortunate the system of marking it as the solution makes it look like that is the solution. The system would let me take the marked as solution down

Patrick_R

I was marking his suggestion to the edit but with this system it puts it as the solution and noway to edit it as marked as the solution

@srlawren No offense taken, I was wondering that too.

srlawren

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi

@Patrick_R no I haven't, as I'm not a fan of bashing my head against brick walls.  But I wish you the best of luck your letter-writing campaign!  

EDIT: why did you mark @Alex888's response as the solution to this thread?  He told you how to edit your post, not how to contact your MP, the PM or Opposition Leaders.  No offense Alex--your post was helpful, but your response didn't even answer the question, let alone provide a solution to the topic.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Patrick_R In the top corner of your posts there are 3 grey dots, if you click there you can edit your post.

Patrick_R

Sorry meant in Canada not on Canada 

In previous post

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi

Has anyone here written their MP, the PM or Opposition Leaders about lowering cell phone costs on Canada?

Just sucks we pay more than the UK and USA.

I pay $0, thanks to the rewards at public mobile.

To answer your question no I have not.

But I am always happy to get more, for less.

Need Help? Let's chat.