cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone at bottom of river, unretriveable

Coolwavesallday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bought new phone and new SIM card, now what ?

Of course want to keep same Public Mobile account and same phone number so I am waiting to activate SIM card.

Submitted a ticket yesterday.  Still no answer.

In the meantime, cannot receive text or even install apps because my mobile number is the one to receive codes for forgotten passwords like Applestore lol.

I am losing my sense of humour lol.

Please help !

32 REPLIES 32

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious that is truly amazing, i wish they made them like they used to. this is true for many consumer products. 

@stevenanto @treefrog 

Even my bf couldn't do in my flip phone when he would use it in between his many phones....he lost it for 24 hours. We found it in the bushes the following day at no frills after an overnight rainstorm. (We called it to hear it ringing!)

A month later he left it on a stump while splitting and stacking firewood on my friend's farm and he dropped a split log on it and killed the screen. It didn't connect when calling at first but within 24 hours calling returned to normal. But it is now just a phone.....albeit a 7 year old one.

stevenanto

@treefrog Wow that's pretty crazy, yeah they were indestructible. Ive dropped min so many times from various heights (by accident of course) and it always worked, with the newer gen of phone even with an otterbox and the smallest of drops the phone would crack. 

to this day my kids still use the flip the phones as play toys and still in great shape! lol 

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stevenanto 

LOL! I once knocked a flip phone in a bucket of freshly boiled water that I was heating up a bottle of sake in! I had to run around looking for a pair of tongs to fish it out. Wiped it off and left by the heating vent for 3 days and worked like a charm for a few more years. Gotta love those old flippers.

stevenanto

Man that is really unfortunate. People to dive down and get things in rivers if you find someone. 

This reminds me of the time a buddy of mine lost his phone in the snow while hunting and only found it the year after and it still worked when he charged it up. This was those old school flip phones. 

.. after the "recuse", there will likely be a big selection of phones to choose from  🙂  

@Coolwavesallday 

A river is a tough one....if it was a lake you can hire local "volunteer" diver(s) to try and recover your device or lost valuables. They will retrieve additional lost items and clean up garbage at the same time. They often work on a sliding scale or you can post on social media to see if there are other locals who have recently lost valuables in the same body of water and you can pool your resources to better reimburse the diver(s) for their time and effort.

Coolwavesallday

Just did, thank you all !

Coolwavesallday

Unfortunately the phone is forever at the bottom unfindable although it was an iPhone 10 with waterproof case so double ISO 68 but if you can’t see it in over a 100 000 square feet of area and you can only see 2 feet at a time under water up to 30 feet deep, it is all for nothing.  Waterproof is only good for the toilet bowl lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

“OP” stands for “original poster” 

Coolwavesallday

I might sound naive but what is an OP ?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious said "@BearFBI 

Don't worry the already have a new sim card!"

Whoops. I briefly read the OP's post and it sounded like he lost his new phone and new SIM card at the bottom of the river. That would suck even more lol 

@Vancouverbc 

Lol...really?😅😆😉

Edit: The post we are both referring to was posted at 9:58 am pt. My reply to S--S was at 10:42 am pt. I have posted nearly 12,000 posts I think I have finally caught on to how it works around here.😃

@Coolwavesallday 

It depends on your card. Most have 90 day new purchase insurance that covers lost or stolen items. If it's a premium card like a visa avion card it will have usually a 2+year device insurance policy that covers brand new phones only (no open box, refurbished etc...) with a small deductible of $10-$20 and a 2% depreciation per month from the original phone cost before taxes. It usually requires you to report the phone lost/stolen to your local police (usually online) to obtain a police file # to submit with your claim.

Vancouverbc

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Did you even read @Coolwavesallday post? 

@darlicious   Hey I'm guilty too of missing the fact that the OP already has a new phone. The topic implies the phone is still at the bottom of the river. We're all strangers on these forums, trying to help each other out as best as we can in a cordial manner. Sometimes we don't get all the context.

This community forum is setup differently from many others, here new posts are at the top rather than at the end which is common. Also how to reply and quote is not obvious, it's buried in the options AFTER you reply. 

Coolwavesallday

Yes my new phone came in yesterday.  I was out on my new to me standup jetski on Sunday, and I guess the small tray on board is not as secure as I thought 

Coolwavesallday

Bought the phone over a year ago, will check though

Coolwavesallday

Yes I got one at local Superstore

@Coolwavesallday  yeah...  should be quick from here.  Hope you can get your "new" phone and service back soon 

Coolwavesallday

Oups my bad, still new and did not see inbox reply from moderator yesterday.  I am just learning how to communicate in community, I was expecting email lol.  Sorry and thank you

@Anonymous 

Did you even read @Coolwavesallday post? They have a new phone and new sim card that needs to be swapped out so they can resume using their services. Please take the time to understand what an OP is asking for help with and tailor your reply to actually help them. Edit your stable of posts that you copy and paste to only include information that is helpful to the OP's query.

@BearFBI 

Don't worry they already have a new sim card!

Vancouverbc

This is a response to losing your phone, how did you pay for the phone? If on a credit card you may be lucky and the card has insurance on purchases. Check with your credit card bank, if you are lucky the insurance may cover the cost of replacing the hardware. 

Sorry to hear you lost your phone. Your post makes me realize how much we rely on authentication codes going to text and that we need access to the hardware. 

mh1983

@BearFBI wrote:

@mh1983 said "Did you order a new SIM? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/where-to-buy-a-sim"

@Coolwavesallday DO NOT ORDER A SIM FROM PUBLIC MOBILES SITE PLEASE. Canada post absolutely sucks and it'll take weeks for you to get your SIM. If you can try getting it locally. 

Yes, thank you for that call out. Agree with the suggestion to get it locally.

BearFBI

@mh1983 said "Did you order a new SIM? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/where-to-buy-a-sim"

@Coolwavesallday DO NOT ORDER A SIM FROM PUBLIC MOBILES SITE PLEASE. Canada post absolutely sucks and it'll take weeks for you to get your SIM. If you can try getting it locally. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I assume you already checked your Community inbox to see if mod tried to reach you?

I think it is ok to open another ticket.. try this direct link to open Sim Swap ticket

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/-H7DB-

or at least private message the Mod to ask for update

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Coolwavesallday 

Did you report your phone lost/stolen? Your voicemail stays active. Dial it from another phone. When it connects press * and enter your 4 digit pin voicemail pin #. Now you can recieve/retrieve verification codes sent by phone calls. You can install the fongo app for wifi calling if you don't have access to another phone.

@Anonymous 

Ha! I beat you...my request only took 28 minutes yesterday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was done and done in 30 minutes today.

LEGO

@Coolwavesallday By contacting Moderator Team numerous times will just delay their response to you, as this will move your ticket to the bottom of the pile. Just wait patiently! 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Coolwavesallday 

Moderator response time is about one hour of late. Once you verify you are the account holder and answer a couple of extra questions about your account you can send your new unactivated sim card number to the moderator and they will swap out your sim card in your account. You can insert your new sim card in your new phone and reboot. If you still have an active plan then your services will just resume. 

Edit:

Send a follow up private message with your support ticket reference number and Sim Swap in the subject line.

Need Help? Let's chat.