cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost iPhone

SumGuy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My daughter lost her iPhone in Disneyland, and it hasn't turned in up in Lost & Found.

Two questions:

(1) Is there a way for Public Mobile to add the IMEI to the blacklist?  From other discussions, there doesn't seem to be an answer to this.

(2) Since the phone appears to be MIA, is there any way to apply the money I paid for a US plan towards getting a new SIM card? I only realized in hindsight that there was no point buying a plan when the phone is locked and not in roaming mode.  Obviously, there's zero usage on the data and no calls/texts. I knowingly bought the plan to try and findmyphone, so don't expect this, but hoping an Admin might take pity on me and cancel the unused plan and ship me a new SIM card.

Am in dreaming in Technicolour on both counts?

8 REPLIES 8

@SumGuy wrote:

Agreed re: lesson, but I think the bigger one was mine to learn--don't give a 14-year old an iphone X, even if used!!  I'm debating whether to tell her she can earn another (used) one if she gets straight As for her finals. I know you're not supposed to bribe your kids re: school, but that would be a pretty strong motivator (and a highly unlikely outcome--so low risk on my part)! 😉

@SumGuy  Went through similar lessons with grandchildren. Family "rule" is now one replacement and then your on your own. The "learning" did not take effect until each was required to buy the 3rd phone themselves; no loss or damage in the last 2 years! Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

SumGuy

Agreed re: lesson, but I think the bigger one was mine to learn--don't give a 14-year old an iphone X, even if used!!  I'm debating whether to tell her she can earn another (used) one if she gets straight As for her finals. I know you're not supposed to bribe your kids re: school, but that would be a pretty strong motivator (and a highly unlikely outcome--so low risk on my part)! 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SumGuy wrote:

PS: Hasn't been turned into Disney Lost & Found 24 hours later, so I'm guessing it's gone.  Filed a police report, but, again, can't imagine it making it's way to Police HQ.

If nothing else...a good lesson for the kid. Keep a hold of your stuff...particularly valuables.

When you get a new SIM and phone then simply go into the account and use the Change SIM function and away you go.

SumGuy

PS: Hasn't been turned into Disney Lost & Found 24 hours later, so I'm guessing it's gone.  Filed a police report, but, again, can't imagine it making it's way to Police HQ.

SumGuy

Holy smokes! You guys are awesome...and lightning quick!!!

I didn’t even think about her losing the phone in the USA, so no name/phone number in the case, on the screen, etc.  And I don’t know why I told her to keep the roaming data off, since it wouldn’t have worked in the USA anyway without a plan.  Sigh!

Interesting re: the blacklist…not much point going through the hassle considering it’s in Cali.

I bought it off a colleague at work, who bought it via our company’s business contract with Telus.  We recently renewed and had an option to upgrade all of our handsets, so I bought his old one.  I have the IMEI # from our blackberry server, but, doesn’t sound like it’s worth the hassle if it only blacklists in Canada—and even a good Samaritan looking for a reward, wouldn’t know who to call.  I changed the VM with a message with my cell #, but that would be a lot of work for someone to have to go through, and to even think about doing that.  Plus, I can’t seem to retrieve voicemessages other than from my phone, because PM is saying I have to set the VM up from my phone.

I see now I can get a SIM locally…for some reason I thought it had to go through Public Mobile.  I read an article that they have kiosks again, but couldn’t find their locations. I’ll try the London Drugs across the street for a new SIM.

I might sheepishly PM them to see if they’d be willing to refund the $ for the plan (assuming there’s no use, obviously), but, I don’t expect it. It’s my own fault for thinking I could call/text/locate the phone, but—duh—roaming is off and you can’t turn it on with a locked phone (I only clued in after—as I say—that it didn’t make a lick of difference when it comes to a pre-paid plan with no US add-on).

Appreciate all the pointers!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@SumGuy wrote:

My daughter lost her iPhone in Disneyland, and it hasn't turned in up in Lost & Found.

Two questions:

(1) Is there a way for Public Mobile to add the IMEI to the blacklist?  From other discussions, there doesn't seem to be an answer to this.

(2) Since the phone appears to be MIA, is there any way to apply the money I paid for a US plan towards getting a new SIM card? I only realized in hindsight that there was no point buying a plan when the phone is locked and not in roaming mode.  Obviously, there's zero usage on the data and no calls/texts. I knowingly bought the plan to try and findmyphone, so don't expect this, but hoping an Admin might take pity on me and cancel the unused plan and ship me a new SIM card.

Am in dreaming in Technicolour on both counts?

@SumGuy, you should contact the moderator team concerning placing the phone in the blacklist.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.  For question 2, I don't see how that works.  You are going to have to buy another SIM card yourself.  BTW, make sure you go into the self serve and declare the phone lost/stolen to suspend the service. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@SumGuy  Where did you buy the phone? Were you the first owner? Was it brand new? Were they an authorized retailer? Can you prove it, do you have the receipt still that shows the imei of the phone?

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

This link might help 🙂 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

#1: I am not sure, but I assume they can/should be doing it? However apparently it would only be blocked in Canada: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

"Remember, if your device is lost or stolen, report it to your service provider immediately. Only wireless service providers can add a device to the Blacklist.

To determine if a device has been reported lost or stolen, which would prevent it from working on Canadian wireless networks"

#2: You can try and ask the moderators in a private message. Don't set your expectation too high, but it costs nothing to ask 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.