cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to decrease my plan's cost but still need voicemail. What can I do for this?

tommygun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hey,

So I'm trying to make my phone plan cheaper by removing the service I use the least: Calling. However, since people still call me and often leave messages, I still require voicemail which is something that addons don't provide. Is there any sort of voicemail service that I can use so that I can use the 200 Minute Addon but still retain voicemail capability? An open source solution would be preferrable.
16 REPLIES 16

tommygun
Alright, thanks for all the help, guys!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite awesome work, thank you for posting it.  Couldn't have said any better myself.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

OK. Your first constraint is the phone. As you bought the phone from Koodo it will ONLY work on Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile. You must get it unlocked for $50 if you want to use a different carrier. Here's how: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

More than 2 GB/month of data is not a good spot for Public Mobile. With data only their best offer is $84 (less $6 if you use autopay) for 6 GB over 90 days. With a data only plan you could use Fongo for everything else as outlined here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-replace-the-old-90-day-90-plan/m-.... If you have wifi at home just use it for Fongo calling and texting to save on cellular data. Unlike provincial calling plans, Public Mobile data plans work everywhere in Canada. A friend of mine uses his iPad this way.

If you do get your phone unlocked, Fido currently has a data only plan (for tablets) of 3 GB for $15.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

tommygun
@Luddite

2GB per month is probably sufficient, but not ideal. I'd like to be closer to 3GB but it's not mandatory.

Plain SMS is sufficient, but again, not ideal. However, I can use other means of communication to send pictures, it's just not as convenient.

I do not know if my phone is unlocked. It was originally on Koodo which is a Telus service and from what I understand PM and Telus use the same networks.

You cannot call forward a Public Mobile number without a calling plan.

We probably have some idea for you on minimizing your costs if you provide a little more detail:

- how much data/month do you need?

- do you want picture messaging or just plain SMS texting?

- do you have an unlocked phone?

tommygun
@Luddite my current plan does not include any calling. My Fongo number is based in Quebec since they don't have any Newfoundland numbers.

@tommygun Does your current plan include Canada, or provincial, wide calling?

Where is your Fongo number located?

tommygun
@Luddite I've attempted to make my phone forward calls to ny Fongo number. However, it's not working and a phone call I received this morning did not forward. I have it set to Always Forward to +1XXX-XXX-XXXX. Have I set this up wrong?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know how to get rid of the voicemail notification, would you?

@tommygun wrote:
Hey,

So I'm trying to make my phone plan cheaper by removing the service I use the least: Calling. However, since people still call me and often leave messages, I still require voicemail which is something that addons don't provide. Is there any sort of voicemail service that I can use so that I can use the 200 Minute Addon but still retain voicemail capability? An open source solution would be preferrable.

Sorry, but there is no 200 minute airtime add-on. The add-on only covers long distance, but without airtime, you cannot use it.  To do as you say, you'll either need to keep your voice services at Public Mobile active or you can try some type of VOIP solution.  You should be able to find a low cost or even free one.

@tommygun wrote:

Would you recommend Fongo (or know anyone that would)?  Also, how does that work regarding my PM account if I port the number to Fongo?  Would I still be able to use text and data?

You will have two phone numbers: Fongo for calls/voicemail, Public Mobile for text/data. Do not port-out your Public Mbile number if you opt for this idea, as that will cancel your Publc Mobile account. If you don't care about picture messaging you can buy SMS from Fongo for around $2/month.

tommygun

Would you recommend Fongo (or know anyone that would)?  Also, how does that work regarding my PM account if I port the number to Fongo?  Would I still be able to use text and data?

tommygun

Right on.  So does this route my calls from my phone to my computer? 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
If you turn off calling, you could just get a freephoneline.ca account and have it forward voicemail to your email.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@tommygun Even though you can buy it, you cannot use the long distance add-on without a calling plan. Since Public Mobile's talk/text/data plans are virtually the same price as text/data you need to explore different options to lower your monthly cost.

Have a look at Koodo's $15 prepaid plan as they will let you add calling and data as an add-on. If your data usage is also quite low it will be cheaper.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What is your current plan?or he plan you would be gettng?

I think the only way to keep a voice number  would be to go VOIP (and use only data), if you need to keep our current nuber you would need to porrt out your currnt number to fongo else give people you new fongo number. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tommygun, if were interested in a data only plan which seems like the direction you are headed, consider getting some thing like the Fido data only tablet plan.  It is being offered at a promotional price of $15 for 3 gigs until the end of March.  The plan works on any device without restriction.  You can use apps like Fongo to get a Canadian number for calling and text. 

By the way, I am suggesting a competitor because I don't think you would be allowed to buy a calling addon if the plan does not include calling in the base features. 

Need Help? Let's chat.