cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luddite
Oracle

Re: Looking to decrease my plan's cost but still need voicemail. What can I do for this?

@tommygun Does your current plan include Canada, or provincial, wide calling?

Where is your Fongo number located?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
tommygun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Looking to decrease my plan's cost but still need voicemail. What can I do for this?

@Luddite my current plan does not include any calling. My Fongo number is based in Quebec since they don't have any Newfoundland numbers.
Luddite
Oracle

You cannot call forward a Public Mobile number without a calling plan.

We probably have some idea for you on minimizing your costs if you provide a little more detail:

- how much data/month do you need?

- do you want picture messaging or just plain SMS texting?

- do you have an unlocked phone?

tommygun

@Luddite

2GB per month is probably sufficient, but not ideal. I'd like to be closer to 3GB but it's not mandatory.

Plain SMS is sufficient, but again, not ideal. However, I can use other means of communication to send pictures, it's just not as convenient.

I do not know if my phone is unlocked. It was originally on Koodo which is a Telus service and from what I understand PM and Telus use the same networks.
Luddite
Oracle

OK. Your first constraint is the phone. As you bought the phone from Koodo it will ONLY work on Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile. You must get it unlocked for $50 if you want to use a different carrier. Here's how: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

More than 2 GB/month of data is not a good spot for Public Mobile. With data only their best offer is $84 (less $6 if you use autopay) for 6 GB over 90 days. With a data only plan you could use Fongo for everything else as outlined here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-replace-the-old-90-day-90-plan/m-.... If you have wifi at home just use it for Fongo calling and texting to save on cellular data. Unlike provincial calling plans, Public Mobile data plans work everywhere in Canada. A friend of mine uses his iPad this way.

If you do get your phone unlocked, Fido currently has a data only plan (for tablets) of 3 GB for $15.

View solution in original post

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite awesome work, thank you for posting it.  Couldn't have said any better myself.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
tommygun

Alright, thanks for all the help, guys!
Need Help? Let's chat.