cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance

recoverretail
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are getting a recording saying "Long distance charges may apply".... We have All Canada included in our plan. Am I getting charged for calling out within Canada?

7 REPLIES 7

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Keyword "may" : "Long distance charges may apply"

It just means you didn't prefix a "1" for your out-of-area call. If your plan includes Canada wide calling you won't be charged. Even if it didn't, with the way public mobile works the call just wouldn't go through at all. For your own assurance you can review your call logs in the self-serve portal after such a call.

Some people on Telus Mobility/Koodo/Public Mobile still have plans that don't include long distance so the long distance switch plays this as a courtesy.

Personally I was quite annoyed when Rogers stopped their similar warning message when making a LD call but my plan only covered local calls. I had to be extra diligent to check that numbers I was calling were indeed local, or be charged 55c/minute. Telus prepaid still charges similar rates without a "plan" .

@recoverretail wrote:

We are getting a recording saying "Long distance charges may apply".... We have All Canada included in our plan. Am I getting charged for calling out within Canada?

This message means that the call actually is long distance (or the system thinks that it is).  This message is a hold over from plans that include only local calling and is based on Telus Mobility local calling areas. It just happens to be that this type of long distance is already included in your plan if you're calling a Canadian number.

Canada Wide means you can call any number in Canada. But to call any number in Canada you have to dial it properly. If you are in Spuzzum BC call LD to Calgary AB you have to add the 1 prefix. I always thought that Canada Wide can be mis leading and leave some users to think they can call anywhere in Canada  with the given number and some miracle will happen...and your call with go through. But...no miracles. I do  admit though,  I have called LD with out the 1 prefix and you get a warning and the call still goes through. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@recoverretail wrote:

PM is a prepaid service provider.  PM does not have pay-per-use like Chatr. 

Therefore, if PM connects your long distance call, you will not be charge.  Period.  This is because if you did not paid for the service ahead of time, you call will not work.

If your plan includes unlimited Canada wide calls and received this wrong message, dial 1 in front of the number that you are calling.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@recoverretail wrote:

@recoverretail 

You will not charged for overages here. 🙂

If you ignore the message will the call complete?

If you are on Canada Wide calling and have minutes left on your plan (could just be a glitch).

Shut your phone off for a few minutes, then restart it.

Also do a reset of your network settings.

Can you now complete calls?

Try your SIM in another phone to see if the issue is the same.

If problems still persist have the Moderators to check your account.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You should Not be charged for long distance calling withing Canada if your plan is Canada Wide.

Did you use all your minutes,  by any chance?

Yummy_0-1621291156198.png

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

try adding a 1 in front of the 10 digits number when you dial

Also, you might try to reboot the phone and see if you can call without adding the 1 in front

Need Help? Let's chat.