cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance notification

DARLENE11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have Canada no limit calls. But I have family members with land lines that try to call me and get that it's a long distance call. How do I fix this problem?

14 REPLIES 14

@computergeek541 wrote:

CNAC doesn't actually tell anyone if a call is local or long distance. It only tells you the rate centre (city/town name) of a number. Phones numbers can be in different rate centres and still potentially be local.

@computergeek541 True, but the OP already stated that it was a long distance call from family to them. Checking their exchange will allow the OP to change numbers to one that has the same area listed.

@kb_mv wrote:

@DARLENE11 The problem isn't really yours. To determine if a number is local or long distance you need to look at not the area code, but instead the next 3 numbers.

506 XXX 1212 where the X's are what count.

They determine whether it is local or long distance to call. The CNAC website can be used to look up your numbers:

http://cnac.ca/

CNAC doesn't actually tell anyone if a call is local or long distance. It only tells you the rate centre (city/town name) of a number. Phones numbers can be in different rate centres and still potentially be local.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@DARLENE11  It's not by same area code that determines if it's a local call.

Your cell number and their landline number may not be considered the same city.

Use the link that @kb_mv  put in very first post about CNAC website.

Example. 

514-xxx-1111 the xxx is the city of the phone number. So look up yours and your relatives on the website to determine if they are Infact in the same city.

You can always decide to change your number if you're not tied to it. Log into your account and hit change number.

Orange arrow on pic below. PM allows one change per 30 days.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

@DARLENE11 wrote:

Can I change the number to the correct area code

You can change your number.  You will choose the Province and City.  Then PM will give you options.

Here is a help article on this issue:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

@DARLENE11 wrote:

You can change your number in self service.

numberch.jpg

@DARLENE11 wrote:

@DARLENE11 You can change your number to whatever area code you want. Are they not the same now? As stated in earlier replies, you can have the same area code and it still be long distance for the landline.

DARLENE11

@DARLENE11 wrote:

They live in the same city

@DARLENE11 

Your phone number is likely outside your city number.  For mobile phones, not usually a problem since most mobile lines are Canada wide.  However, with landlines, it can make a difference.

One solution is to change  your phone number to a number within your city.  You are allowed to change your number once every 30 days.  

@DARLENE11 wrote:

@DARLENE11 That may have no bearing. What area code are you in? What are the 3 numbers after the area code for them and for you?

DARLENE11

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Their landline plans likely don't have Canada wide calling. Unfortunately it's not your fault it's at their end. They'll either have to pay to call you or you just call them since you have Canada wide calling.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Lorca wrote:

Are they in your city? Your unlimited minutes means you can call anywhere in Canada, or receive. The person calling you must have long distance too if you’re in different parts of the country.

@Lorca The people calling the OP don't need to be in different parts of the country for the call to be long distance. Landline plans may not include calling outside of their "local" area without charge.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are they in your city? Your unlimited minutes means you can call anywhere in Canada, or receive. The person calling you must have long distance too if you’re in different parts of the country.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DARLENE11 The problem isn't really yours. To determine if a number is local or long distance you need to look at not the area code, but instead the next 3 numbers.

506 XXX 1212 where the X's are what count.

They determine whether it is local or long distance to call. The CNAC website can be used to look up your numbers:

http://cnac.ca/

Need Help? Let's chat.