cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance charges

Dia
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey guys, does anyone know if calling within province is free or at least is there any possibility public mobile can charge you for this? As I know this is prepaid service so technically you cannot get overcharged. But anyways back to the point, yesterday I tried making a call to a different area code within my province and they told me to stay on the line and long distance charges may apply. Please let me know.

19 REPLIES 19

Dia

Srawlern that will probably be the way to go about it, just like what bell offers here or other large companies. The only problem with those is that either it's a few day package or a month there is nothing in between, and pay by day or use is a bit to expensive. Gotta do my math on what's worth it XD. Thx for the idea 

Dia

Luddite cellular connection will be needed and calling not only to US but also back to Canada, I guess I'll have to do a bit of research on that before I leave.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dia since you are going for a longer length of time, Roam Mobility does "snowbird" plans that might suit your needs:

https://www.roammobility.com/snowbird-plans

The other option that might work well for you is to buy a SIM from a US carrier when you arrive and sign up on one of their pre-paid plans.  Here's a recent round-up from Android Central that migh prove helpful in considering your options:

http://www.androidcentral.com/us-prepaid-carriers-buyers-guide

Let us know what you pick and how it works out for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Dia I believe roaming is far far off for Public Mobile. The least expensive plans in the US are local SIMs. All the others you have been discussing will be more.

There are several workarounds if your objective is to be able to call Canada from the US, or the US from the US. What services are you hoping to have when you are in the USA? Can you live with only connecting while on wifi, or do you need cellular connection?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Dia, other carrier: ZipSim

Not exactly. 

It is where PPL like you and myself can put our ideas in, and depending on certain criteria, can be adopted, rejected, under consideration, just depends

I'm pretty certain that its Prepaid.

Roam Mobility I think is a Canadian Co. or something.

Check out their site for more details, and I am sure that they can tell you where retailers sell them.

The thing is, You get a US #, and it ONLY works in the US, so if returning to Can, you MUST reinsert PM Sim for Service

Dia

How do you use the lab? Is it just another discussion group? 

If you want, you can always imput this in Lab, PM always looks at lab for nifty ideas to hlp improve

Dia

Makkham the two options you mentioned are those monthly prepaid? Or more like daily prepaid, in the sense of can people use them for longer periods of time or it would be too expensive?

Can't say for certain, BUT I hope sometime soon

Dia

Ah I see do you know if the roaming will be happening anytime soon? And as for states do they have any provider that's similar to pm in prices and quality of signal? 

Until PM rolls out the Roaming Carpet, only 2 options: Roam Mobility or this ZipRoam thing.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Unfortunately, no. That would be considered roaming and is not offered by PM. The US and international plans are for calling FROM Canada to the US, etc.

Dia

Now out of curiousity if you have the U.S. Canada unlimited talk will you be able to use your phon on the states side? As I will be going down there for a few months. 

Dia

Haha it scared me a bit as I've never heard it before. Is it a recent thing? But anyways thx that answered my question on point 👌🏻.

So far, everything is Unlim, except Data, But, all normal Calls, whether Prov, Canada or Can-US, Unlim, Just if on Prov Talk, Ya need Long-Distance Add-On to continue when out of home prov

@Dia Also if you do try a long distance that is not allowed the call will not connect; so, as Cath said, you cannot get an extra charge.

Cath

@Dia  It's just a little glitch we all get.  Ignore it.  You will never get charged for anything you haven't prepaid.  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.