cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Delay Before Texts Get SENT

ETusesPublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I walk my dog through the forest but it is within a city subdivision with good cell service. I tried sending a short text and it would not send. I had no attachments on it (despite having a dog very worthy of an attached photo 🐕 lol) I tried several 'test' texts and they were also marked 'not sent'. I tried turning on my data and they still wouldn't send. Restarted my phone. Still not sending. 45 minutes later, only with my data on, they suddenly all went through. This happens in various locations, a long delay before a text suddenly goes through. Other times they go through instantly. (I doubt it's my Moto G4 phone as I never had this issue before PM) Any advice? Thanks 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8

@ETusesPublic wrote:

I walk my dog through the forest but it is within a city subdivision with good cell service. I tried sending a short text and it would not send. I had no attachments on it (despite having a dog very worthy of an attached photo 🐕 lol) I tried several 'test' texts and they were also marked 'not sent'. I tried turning on my data and they still wouldn't send. Restarted my phone. Still not sending. 45 minutes later, only with my data on, they suddenly all went through. This happens in various locations, a long delay before a text suddenly goes through. Other times they go through instantly. (I doubt it's my Moto G4 phone as I never had this issue before PM) Any advice? Thanks 🙂 

Standard SMS text messages do not use data, so turning on data would have no effect. If you're telling your phone only to use the HSPA network,. try setting the network type to LTE/3g/2g/Auto so that your phone can connect to LTE. LTE will generally be able to send a text message faster because of decreased latency.

@ETusesPublic wrote:

Cool website of the cell towers. Thanks for that! Yes, it is a busy city with lots of towers. I am able to make calls, there's just a random delay in sending texts. I see many posts about text issues so I wonder if it is some type of glitch. I have been with people whose texts work from the same location when mine won't send. 

Can you borrow an unlocked phone and put your SIM card in it to try out and see if it makes a difference.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic I just learned something Interesting recently from a telecom rep

when you insert a new sim, you are in essence deleting your old sim from the 'system' this in turn forces your carriers network to force an update to the network, making cell towers 'aware' of the new sim, this can improve reception as any new agreements between carriers and their cell towers and any new cell towers since your last sim will be 'aware' of the new sim, allowing it to access them.
in turn 'improving' your reception, in areas you previously had bad reception

don't purchase a new sim. what you can do is put a different sim and then install your original sim card and follow these steps

on 4G LTE devices, the PRL(preferred roaming list) is updated with your SIM card. To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so.

then reset your network settings

• open settings
  • scroll down to backup and reset
  • select network settings reset
  • select reset settings
  • restart

test to see if there is an improvement

even if you're in the city, if there are a lot of thick trees, your signal will suffer

@ETusesPublic wrote:

Cool website of the cell towers. Thanks for that! Yes, it is a busy city with lots of towers. I am able to make calls, there's just a random delay in sending texts. I see many posts about text issues so I wonder if it is some type of glitch. I have been with people whose texts work from the same location when mine won't send. 

Maybe try a different texting app?

ETusesPublic

@ETusesPublic 

Next time this happens make a phone call too to see if takes a while to connect. What is the signal strength on your phone. Are there towers nearby?

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

ETusesPublic

It has happened on several different days in various locations. I'm not a 'techie' so I don't really understand why they don't send. I don't think I should need to rely on data to send texts. Even that doesn't always work 🤔

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Sometimes there's network outages lasting a short time. Could be you're in an affected area. Probaly just transient...be ok later.

Need Help? Let's chat.