cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local callers sometimes have to dial +1 to dial my local number

ChrisMelnyk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I have a 902 number, and often times local callers have to dial +1 to dial my local number (902). At our office, when calls are transferred, it will give them a message of the call not being completed as dialed...

6 REPLIES 6

We've had to dial eleven-digit 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx in some (multi-area-code) cities for years now. It's just the way it is. And it's no hassle anyways now that rotary dialing mechanisms have been replaced by one-touch contacts list.

There's no reason to not preface every call and every contact with a 1 to ensure it goes through. And there's no reason for incoming callers to avoid doing the same. (Unless they lack Canada-wide calling, in which case they should upgrade their ancient plans/services and stop being ripped off.)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

902 spans over provinces it's very likely that two numbers will not be local to each other. 

If you are in Halifax you can get a free number with fongo and set it to forward to your cell. V it's totally free.

If you are anywhere else you can head here to find your exchanges https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

You could go over to TextNow or Talkatone and try to get one that's local to you, you may have to keep reloading till you find the right one. After that if it works you can just port that number over

gumbyng
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Long distance usage is based on where the phone number is based in. Way back when for example, 613 though mostly in Ottawa also encompassed Kingston. So dialing a 613 number from one place to the other place required putting the +1.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@ChrisMelnyk wrote:

Hi, 

I have a 902 number, and often times local callers have to dial +1 to dial my local number (902). At our office, when calls are transferred, it will give them a message of the call not being completed as dialed...

Check here. http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

After 902-xxx. The xxx might tell you why. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMelnyk wrote:

Hi, 

Cell phone numbers are still bound to the old landline long distance ranges. It's just that Canada-wide calling is likely more prevalent so we don't notice it. In any major centre you could discover calling across the street was long distance just because a line had to be drawn somewhere by the landline providers.

Well that's still kinda with us as a legacy.

As mentioned, it's not just area code. It drills down to those first 3 numbers too.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You should have 1 infront of everyone number regardless if it is a local number or somewhere else in Canada. To avoid hearing the standard message "this may be a long distance call bla bla blah". 

As for your query. The local number may not actually be a local number. It does not go by area code. 902 so it should be a local call you say to yourself. It's the city the number is in. Which are the 3 digits after the area code.

So yours is 902 - xxx - 1111 the xxx determines the city your in.

The city that the phone number belongs to can be checked at the CNAC website. People experience this issue with call boxes for apartment buildings as well thinking it should be local as it's the same area code. Unfortunately it goes by city the number is in.

So you need the 1 infront.

Need Help? Let's chat.