cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PM - on the fence

pav
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is with a heavy heart that I write this... 

I have 2 active Public Mobile (PM) lines which have both received a solid level of LTE data support for almost a year now. For the most part, I have had no issues with the service , however I have recently found the need to upgrade my monthly data for one of my accounts. The 30-day data plans from PM are limited to 1GB, 4GB, and 6GB. I require a 2GB or 3GB monthly data plan. Unfortunately, these options are not currently available.  To be honest, the PM 30 day pricing is, in certain cases, cost prohibitive when compared to BYOD offers from competing service carriers - even those using the same (Telus) network.  I have reached out to PM but have been told there are no other data plans available at this time.

Given my limited options, I have temporarily signed up with another service provider and will be evaluating their services over the next 2 weeks. 

If the new service provider meets my needs, I will be faced with the decision of porting out my lines or remaining a loyal PM customer.  Admittedly, this will not be easy as I very much like being part of the PM family.

Will keep you posted on my decision.

71 REPLIES 71

The short fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

As to my living in Kitsilano which I mentioned in a March 9th post, that was many years ago. From what I understand, homes in that area are now extremely expensive, and far beyond my means to buy.

FYI.

Burn!!

East or West, West is the best! (wait a minute, that doesn't make sense. I may need to rethink that rhyme...)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@7789849803 @dhilscher the West Coast is the Best Coast!  Bam!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thanks for the show of support, @dhilscher and @srlawren! 🙂

dhilscher

I love rain on a warm day. Rain on a cold day is not quite as nice but still better then snow. I actually like snow too but not more then vancouver gets. We can go into the mountains when we want snow we are not forced to live in snow

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

Pffft!

srlawren

I'm with @7789849803: Rain over snow, all day any day!  🙂 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

As a matter of fact, I lived in Kitsilano for about 6 months.

I found Raincouver very attractive, and the people friendly.

That said, I wore glasses and did a lot of walking. The rain and splashing from passing cars resulted in my having to thoroughly clean my glasses about a dozen times daily, hence my preference for snow.

As we say, each to one's own!

dhilscher

Our cost of living may be insane but I believe its still nicest place in canada to live. Not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer. Sure we get a lot of rain but rain has never bothered me much plus the sound of rain is nice to sleep to imo 😉

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

Pffft to you. 🙂

Cheers.

Pfft...Martin with all his sound logic and undeniable rhetoric. Like, whatever, man...

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

With all due respect, I disagree with your logic.

Considering the very high cost of living, including extreme prices for homes and rentals, Raincouverites are left with very little disposal income. As a result, they must stretch each and every dolllar. Since Public Mobile is for the price-conscious, it only stands to reason that Raincouverites would find Public Mobile very attractive.

After all, folks still need to be able to afford to eat!

Food for thought!

See @Martin: BC residents clearly must be cool if there's so many of us using PM (and the community)!

Rockdaddy22
Hey, I'm originally from Abbotsford, now I feel included:)

I know what you mean @dhilscher. Good luck finding even a small 1 bedroom condo for $300k in the downtown area!

On the other hand, Vancouver sure is awesome! 🙂

dhilscher

@pav

ya I can see you are a pretty heavy music streamer. I can definately understand how you are getting a lot of benefit from the unlimited streaming data.

It's true everything is more expensive in BC especially vancouver where cost of living is rediculous. I watch some shows where ppl get a house for 100k in states and think to myself  my townhouse was 300k and I only live in surrey not vancouver where 300k gets you a very tiny apartment if your lucky!

Rockdaddy22
I'm here for the 6am shift 🙂

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

It's not ill-advised. There's no one else to look after the community.

LOL!

@Martin Your overconfidence in my abilities is ill-advised. Good night.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

I'm going to bed now. Nite! You're in charge of the community. Good luck.

@Martin For a minute, I almost believed you about "mea culpa" being "my cup". Then I came to my senses.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

Without reading the linked articles, I can tell you that weather in Iqaluit and Pangnurtung, NU is worse.

FYI.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

For the sake of interprovincial harmony, I retract my statement.

Mea culpa < ---- Latin for "My cup". Go figure!

PS: If you hate the weather in Vancouver so much, you'd definitely not want to visit a place like St John's, or most other parts of Newfoundland. Here's some data for you to compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Vancouver#Statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador#Climate

*gasp* Take that back!

British Columbians are true Canadians too!!!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

Except rain; it's free for the drenching!

Truth in advertising: Visit beautiful Raincouver, and be driven mad by non-stop rain.
Brought to you by Tourism Ontario, where the sun always shines, even on snowy days which TRUE Canadians love!

Everything's more expensive in BC... *sigh*

pav

@dhilscher

Since using the "new" provider unlimited music streaming, I'm consuming close to 6GB a month. Under PM, I would have to subscribe to a 6GB monthly plan (at 3x more $$) to get equivalent data. I understand in BC, mobile plans are more expensive on average when compared to some other regions in Canada.

dhilscher

@pav

Sorry I just read you had already explored that option. For me as a very light data user I got 1gb every 90days which made my plan cheaper then if I had added no data at all so it was like they payed me 10 dollars to get a extra 1gb of data I can't say no to that. After auto pay I pay $28 per month or less depending on other bonuses. In BC I haven't seen anything that compares to this

Need Help? Let's chat.