cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LUCKY MOBILE

H3rnandez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone ever compared Lucky mobile service vs Public mobile? 

Data /coverage /service? 

55 REPLIES 55

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

@Arman wrote:

Telus and Bell using the same towers but they have their own tower and equipment on tower as well. What Bell has more is micro cell in city centers and Malls which makes them a better provider.

I think you misunderstand how network sharing is implemented. Coverage is identical and only the operator who owns the site installs equipment. It is then shared with the partner operator.

@Arman more on this, from @sheytoon :  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Arman wrote:

Telus and Bell using the same towers but they have their own tower and equipment on tower as well. What Bell has more is micro cell in city centers and Malls which makes them a better provider.

I think you misunderstand how network sharing is implemented. Coverage is identical and only the operator who owns the site installs equipment. It is then shared with the partner operator.

Overage charges for long distance are applied to the caller, not the receiver.  If they racked up overage on Lucky plans, then they have the wrong calling package at lucky.  

There red is nothing that would cause PM to have long distance charges apply to another carriers billing for subscribers calling a PM client.  The receiving phone number must have been long distance for the Lucky subscriber.

Yeah I was wondering how a proper comparison between two providers could result in this as well. The friends with the $200-$600 LD bills might be on Lucky as well? I'm not sure in this day and age how anyone racks up a LD bill like that! Even a data overage bill like that would take a lot of failures on the users part. JMHO....

srlawren

@Colinh90 wrote:

I've tried both but stayed with Lucky, it has better coverage

@Colinh90 coverage is the same.  Lucky is owned and operated by Bell on their network, and Bell and Telus (which owns and operates Public Mobile on their network) share networks among their subscribers.  If you are seeing coverage differences, it's probaby confirmation bias.

@Colinh90 wrote:

the only thing Public did was give my friends $200 to $600 dollar long distance phone bills during my trial month (June 2019)

@Colinh90 Did you use a temporary phone number with Public Mobile?  Did you pick one that caused long distance to your friends?  I'm not sure how this is Public Mobile's fault.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Arman wrote:
My Favorite is $25 plan . Unlimited call and text and 2.5gb data

I didn't see that plan listed. I only see the 25 dollar plan that is exactly the same as public mobile and only has 1 GB of data. Are you referring to a grandfathered plan?

Arman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
My Favorite is $25 plan . Unlimited call and text and 2.5gb data

Colinh90

2 gigs of data for 15 bucks , 1gig for 10, or 500mgs for 5. im with lucky. 

Colinh90

I've tried both but stayed with Lucky, it has better coverage, and better support. the only thing Public did was give my friends $200 to $600 dollar long distance phone bills during my trial month (June 2019)

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rh66 wrote:

what does lucky mobile charge for data top up? $/GB

$5/500MB

$10/1GB

$15/2GB

All are monthly rates (expire each month) and 3G. No LTE options.

rh66

what does lucky mobile charge for data top up? $/GB

@Arman wrote:

To simplify, Bell has very little going tower-wise in the west and Telus very little in the east. They share many resources to provide continuous service to both Bell and Telus customers across the country. 

Arman

@Anonymous wrote:

@Arman wrote:

I have both and lucky mobile is much better on coverage, support and responce to issue.

there is also a support phone number (you can talk to human)

Interesting coverage observation when Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile share the same infrastructure as Bell/Virgin/Lucky.

That's correct.  The coverage should be exactly the same, as it's a nationally shared network.  Mainly Telus in the west, and Bell in the east.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Arman wrote:

I have both and lucky mobile is much better on coverage, support and responce to issue.

Interesting coverage observation when Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile share the same infrastructure as Bell/Virgin/Lucky.

Arman

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Lucky Mobile. Heard bad things about high overage charges.

At Public Mobile there are no overage charges. Ever.

My friend is on an old Cityfone (sp??) plan very similar in pricing to the old Fall Promo.  It's a holdover from when Sears had a mobile system MVNO operation...   Can't get her to switch.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Of the three prepaid brands, Public Mobile is the best.  It has no zones and data even if so called 3G is on the LTE network.  The latency is far superior.  Now that Telus has repurposed 3G spectrum for LTE and has fully rolled out 700 MHz for LTE, there is just no comparision for data performance against the competition.  All the new 3G plans come with Canada wide calling.  The big intangible is the possibility of getting a great Koodo migration offer from time to time if that is your cup of tea. 

mimmo

Lucky also sells phones andyou can buy at many retail kiosks that sell multiple brands (ie bell and virgin)

The main difference is going to be zones at Lucky Mobile and the approach used for customer service.  Lucky Mobile does have a call centre available to customers.

In the past, Lucky Mobile has offered calling, messaging, and data plans to compete with the likes of Chatr and Public. Some of these Lucky Mobile plans were zoned, while some were not zoned.

@mimmo wrote:

Pretty sure lucky has zones and pm doesn't. Best thing is for you to do your own comparisons and decide from there 

They got zones and province/canada wide calling. Most of PM 3G promos are matched with Lucky's/chatr offers. 

mimmo

Pretty sure lucky has zones and pm doesn't. Best thing is for you to do your own comparisons and decide from there 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@H3rnandez wrote:

Has anyone ever compared Lucky mobile service vs Public mobile? 

Data /coverage /service? 

Its all the same bell/telus network & coverage, like koodo, virgin, pc mobile, etc

If you want to talk about costs / zones / add ons variety / customer service, etc you want to check out their websites / plan builders / promotions as these aspecs change often.

Need Help? Let's chat.