cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE vs 3G Speeds in downtown Toronto

rbilodeau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone. I recently switched from a 3G plan to an LTE plan, but I'm not seeing faster speeds.

I checked on frequencycheck to make sure my device is indeed compatible, and it definitely is 100% compatible with the LTE offered by the Telus/Public network.

I rebooted my phone today and did a speed test about two blocks from the CN tower and only got 6.41Mbps (800KB/s) download and 10.6Mbps upload. Is this just a symptom of being in a crowded area?

I unfortunately did not  actually test the 3G before switching, so I can't really say how fast that would've been before.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

8 REPLIES 8

rbilodeau

Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out it was a very silly error on my end. I usually just type "speed test" in Chrome and use the built-in test, but for some reason that one was incredibly slow at 6mbps. When I downloaded the Speedtest.net app, I got incredible speeds of 132mbps (16 megabytes!). Wow wow wow.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rbilodeauwrote:

To convert 6mbps to 800KBps..

Speedtests are performed in megabits per second, not megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte. So 6.41mbps = 6410kbps, not KB/s, and 6410kbps/8 = 801,25KB/s

I dont disagree with your calculations, however if your saying all speed tests are done with megabits... I must be on slower then freedom mobile as Im only getting like 6mbps on speed test so your saying thats really close to 700kb/second.

Also my home wifi is limited to 1 megabyte (ya its old but its cheap) and I consistantly get exactly 1mb on the speed test. So your saying my home wifi is getting 1 mega BIT on speed test and im getting roughly only 125kbps consistantly even in the middle of the night.

rbilodeau

I did the switch about two weeks ago, telling it to apply the new plan when my next billing cycle started, which was on the 23rd.

I've got an LG V20 (H-910)

rbilodeau

To convert 6mbps to 800KBps..

Speedtests are performed in megabits per second, not megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte. So 6.41mbps = 6410kbps, not KB/s, and 6410kbps/8 = 801,25KB/s

Try it at night, that area is dead at night. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

As mentioned above, the switch will take affect in about 48 hours. Try checking the LTE speed then.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

When did you do the switch I think it can take upto 48 hours.

Also can you check your selfserve to check that it Infact doesn't say 3g

As I was typing you said you got 6mbs the 3g is capped at 3. So you can probably ignore what I wrote above.

What phone do you have? Did you select the LTE data speed on it?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rbilodeauwrote:

Hi everyone. I recently switched from a 3G plan to an LTE plan, but I'm not seeing faster speeds.

I checked on frequencycheck to make sure my device is indeed compatible, and it definitely is 100% compatible with the LTE offered by the Telus/Public network.

I rebooted my phone today and did a speed test about two blocks from the CN tower and only got 6.41Mbps (800KB/s) download and 10.6Mbps upload. Is this just a symptom of being in a crowded area?

I unfortunately did not  actually test the 3G before switching, so I can't really say how fast that would've been before.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The 3G speed plans with PM are actually LTE capped to 3mbps.

If your getting 6 download & 10.6mbps upload your above the 3. Not sure how you converted 6mbps to 800kb/s?

Ive used Koodo/PM 3G (on an older phone with no LTE) and the speeds were 3-30mbps down.

If you feel there is an issue maybe contact a mod to ensure your on the right plan, and your APN settings are correct.

Although the Bell/Telus network (depending on your phone) should really pull in a lot more than the numbers you mention. 

Need Help? Let's chat.