cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE doesn't work

sumithkodithuwa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I just switched from Wind Mobile to PM. My device is Samsung S4(Model SGH-M919v). On the top of the screen "3G" is shown. Why is it not LTE ?

I have WCDMA/GSM and not LTE under mobile networks settings.(Settings->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Network Mode).

Does that means my device doesn't support LTE ? When I was using Wind, it showed 4G.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

vbobo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@monster5000 ahh it's no problem thanks!

monster5000

@vbobo Yes that was my bad. I needed to add another step . You need to select Lte only first , to force it to switch over , and then you switch it to lte/gsm, just like you did . You'll need to repeat both parts everytime you reboot your phone . 

So sorry for the miscommunication on my part ! Hope it all works out now ! 

vbobo
@monster5000 hey if I set lte only phone calls don't go through......? I've tried and only way they work is if I go lte + GSM. Am I missing something?

vbobo
Awesome just waiting for my unlock code, will report back once all is done

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cingkrab wrote:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/OejRv/samsung-sgh-m919v-galaxy-s4-samsung-altius

Because your phone doesn't support LTE.  Buy a new phone.

@sumithkodithuwa although I find @cingkrab's reply a bit curt, unfortunately he or she appears to be correct.  If you follow that link, you can see that only up to UMTS aka 3G is supported.

As to why it showed as "4G" on Wind, well, "4G" is a bit of a marketing term sometimes.  Many carriers and manufacturers call HSPA+ (3G UMTS at it's fastest possible speed) as "4G" for marketing reasons.  You can see that in this table from the spec sheet that cingkrab linked, btw:

Supported UMTS Protocols Name Generation

UMTS3G
HSDPA3.5G
HSUPA3.5G
HSPA+

3.5G (4G speed)

I added the bolding as that's the important bit. It's only really 3G HSPA+ but they're calling it "4G speed" or 3.5G, again, all basically marketing terms.  

Your phone unfortunately isn't capable of LTE (real 4G) data.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

cingkrab

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/OejRv/samsung-sgh-m919v-galaxy-s4-samsung-altius

Because your phone doesn't support LTE.  Buy a new phone.

sumithkodithuwa

@cingkrabYou mean Settings->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Network Mode ?

I have WCDMA/GSM and no LTE under mobile networks settings.

*#*#4636#*#* doesn't work either

Thanks

sumithkodithuwa

@monster5000   Error in downloading. "This app is not compatible with your device".  Phone has Android ver 5.0.1

cingkrab
Umm... No it won't since Telus doesn't even have a 2G network!

The only calling option without VoLTE is fallback to HSPA.

monster5000

@vbobo Yes it will! 

vbobo
If you choose lte only, will it still switch to GSM for phone calls like it should?

monster5000

If OPs phone is like mine , that code won't do anything . I tried a bunch of things to try to get it to work , including factory reseting with the TLS network settings, and nothing worked . This app was the only solutions and I recommend OP uses it . 

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Simple way is the same @cingkrab said. Just dial that number ---> Device Information --> then scroll down :Prefered Network and choose LTE. 

cingkrab

For me, it also connects to HSPA unless I explicitly specify LTE.  You don't need an app -- you can just go into Wireless & Networks -> Mobile network settings -> Preferred network type and tap LTE/4G again.  It should reconnect and try to get on the LTE network.

That or type *#*#4636#*#* in your dialer.  This is basically the menu that app accesses.

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The app called 4G LTE Switch if I don't remember wrong. 

monster5000

@daredoggI had this exact same issue with my S7! What you're going to need to do is head over the the playstore and download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher&hl=en

Once in the 4G LTE Switcher app, select LTE only and you'll be good to go!

The only pain is that everytime you reboot your phone, you'll need to go back into the app and choose something else, then select LTE only again to get it working. 

Important Note! Do not click update or refresh on the SMSC section or it will mess up your texting ability, and it's a hassle to fix!

Hope that works for you!

Someone mentioned there's an app you can download to make your Wind phone do LTE. I forget who said it, but it might have been one of the oracles...

That device is not LTE compatible.  Even if the hardware is capable, Samsung devices from Wind almost always have the feature disabled.

Need Help? Let's chat.