cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos to Public Mobile! Here is a very honest review.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you know?

Public Mobile cures Internet addiction. Or I call it the “90-day-Internet-diet”.

Here comes an honest and thrilled review of Public Mobile.

(Please excuse my grammar as English is not my first language)

It was April 29, when my “90-day-Internet-diet” started.

Before this “diet” I was addicted. Addicted to the Internet. Everywhere I went, I kept surfing the Internet, checking my phone for news, e-mails and posting to Facebook. I could do this as I had a grandfathered old plan with my carrier with unlimited everything (unlimited talk+text+data), but I was paying $85 per month. As it was a partner phone and a partner plan, I took it 2 years ago when I bought my iPhone.

This amount was still too much for me as I barely spent 20 minutes per month on the phone calling out of province. I didn’t need the “unlimited” version….And having Wi-Fi at home and at work, I came to the conclusion that I actually could ditch the unlimited plan. And the good thing: My 2 year plan with my carrier came to an end.

The question was: Renew or not?

Then I discovered Public Mobile which for me was an unknown brand among all the big names. Why hadn’t I ever seen any public advertisement about this company?

After doing some research and scouring through the community threads educating myself about everything that needs to be known, I somehow got intrigued to give Public Mobile a try despite all the support posts from members crying for solutions for failed ports, service disruptions, things not working, etc.

I loved the simplicity and the innovative and inventive design of the start homepage. Kudos to the developers. After ordering the SIM card I changed from my very expensive plan to Public Mobile. The transaction with the porting went very smooth. No issues at all.

My 90-day-plan: unlimited province wide + unlimited international text + 1 GB data = $96

Of course I switched ON the Autopay feature and saved an additional $6. 

Folks, that was a drop from $85 per month to $30 per month.

Yippee! $55 per month on savings to spend elsewhere.

Then I added the 400 min Intl Long Distance (Incl Canada & US) add-on for just $15 as I have family in Germany to call and text from time to time. I was so happy that this add-on doesn’t expire at the end of the term. This way I would have months to use up the 400 minutes.

Hmmm, but how would this new slimmed plan affect my Internet addiction???

Now you can imagine how I felt the first few weeks: My hand constantly grabbed the phone instinctively to check for news. But for this I had to switch on cellular data. Exactly in this moment when I realized I will have to pay to use the Internet, my phone went straight back into my purse. I scolded “It is not that important. You can wait until you have Wi-Fi or when you are at home!”

Phew, it was hard, but 90 days passed by.

Today was Autopay due date. Time to check the fruits of my diet…

• The Autopay went through very smooth and without service interruption
  • From the available 1 GB I used roughly 400MB
  • From the 400 minutes add-on I used 33 minutes.
  • While on the road, my e-mails and Facebook could wait….
  • I enjoyed my time in the Rocky Mountains more and I didn’t have to be connected to the www at all times.
  • And finally here is the awesomeness: Within those 90 days I tried to be active in the Community answering questions. This earned me Community Rewards totalling $20 which were applied to my next 90-day-plan bringing the monthly costs further down.

♪♫♫♪ Money makes the world go round, the world go round…♫♫♪

As I am not a heavy user, I will keep my old 90-day-plan with 1GB for now.

[UPDATE April 2017: This plan is not available anymore and is grandfathered]

Thank you Public Mobile. You cured my Internet addiction.

23 REPLIES 23

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JuliaFranz765 .......Welcome to PM

The PM community trys to help others, thats what we do.

JuliaFranz765
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I also am loving how instead of paying higher rates immediately, which is what happens for phone plans that make you pay a tab. You can start immediately achieving a smaller phone bill. It is pretty ingenious if you ask me.

And the community provides so much support. This is capitalism at its finest my friends! Woohoo! 

ute1978

@Naepalm  Yes, still a member of Public Mobile and enjoying the many discounts (autopay and loyalty rewards). No other carrier can beat the price I reached at this moment. I guess it is true... "Loyalty Pays"

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ute1978 not sure if you are still a user or not but this is me almost to a T. My data has dropped so much. Ofher then being in this community seemingly 12 hours a day, although im trying to limit that (as I type at 1:15am) 

This has been a great move. Thank you for a great review, and ya I know it was 4 years ago but it is still relevant to today! 

Acekiller

from unlimited data to 1 g data... that's a big drop...

ute1978

So funny someone dug out my old, old post from 07-28-2016.

Michael77

Thanks for the review. 🙂

crtowns
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great post @ute1978!

A turning point for me was when I realized my previous carrier kept offering me more for more. This is okay if you commute a lot and use data while doing so. 

Also their BYOP plans were clearly priced to encourage you to do the two-year plan with subsidized phone and mortgage a new phone every two years (who really needs the latest and greatest every two years?).  

If you have wifi at work, home and many other places and don’t need huge data and really just need talk/text and a little data PM is perfect! 

Also Freedom has very limited coverage. With PM you get good prices and great coverage!

Also who really wants to waste their afternoon on whole with a call centre as opposed to sending a private message and carrying on with your life while you wait. 

Love PM! 

Heavyrocker

I LOVE PM

jaswest2754
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@berettaboi yes that was an adjustment for me for the year I lived in Alberta. Telus owns the phone lines and Shaw owns most of the copper lines in the western side of our country. A real shock is Saskatchewan where they have a crown Corp that does all your main services such as TV, Internet, and cellphones. Actually sasktel owns all the towers and rents them to the big 3 in Saskatchewan as far as I understand.

berettaboi
Another interesting fact, telus is one of the main home phone, tv, internet and cell providers in Alberta. Bell hogs the majority of home phone, internet and tv in Ontario (sharing with one or two other satellite providers, and a multitude of cable tv/internet providers)

berettaboi
Public mobile utilizes both telus and Bell towers, so it has absolutely the best coverage on 95% of Canada. Rogers/Fido has a few cities where they concentrated their efforts hard, and even just some buildings (colleges among maybe some others). Friends of mine had Rogers when i was in Niagara college in Welland, Ontario nearly 5 rears ago, i had telus, and they had better coverage for the most part. There were many signal repeaters in the building.

Card
I lucked out. I got 90 day plan. 6 Gb, unlimited Canada calling. Unlimited global texting. For $45 a month!
It has been excellent. Absolutely no issues at all. One person in a competitive store told me Public Mobile had bad service areas meaning not a lot of coverage areas. That was a bold face lie. I've never had any dropped calls. I love this plan and I use my phone all the time. I just laugh when I hear people telling me what they pay for Rogers and they don't have as much data as me.

ute1978

@guri wrote:

Hi, great review. I just joined PM on the weekend and don't see an option for:

"My 90-day-plan: unlimited province wide + unlimited international text + 1 GB data = $96"

Cheapest is with 3GB data for 90 days and costs $111. How do you get the 90day 1GB $96 plan?

-thanks

This plan is already grandfathered and unfortunately not available anymore for new customers.

guri

Hi, great review. I just joined PM on the weekend and don't see an option for:

"My 90-day-plan: unlimited province wide + unlimited international text + 1 GB data = $96"

Cheapest is with 3GB data for 90 days and costs $111. How do you get the 90day 1GB $96 plan?

-thanks

Very nice read.

Thank you for taking time and provide positive feedback. 

ute1978

@rodjames wrote:

I'm just really happy that my phone will be in service all the time, and I don't have to pay a bill now until OCTOBER????

Holy WOW!

You say it!! October 25 here...

pmobile
Wow I noticed that the new Public Mobile plans were posted in the HOT DEALS section of RedFlagDeals. Seems like a lot of people are liking what they are seeing and Public Mobile is getting much deserved recognition and likely more customers!

Go go go PM!!!

rodjames

I'm just really happy that my phone will be in service all the time, and I don't have to pay a bill now until OCTOBER????

Holy WOW!

ute1978

Thanks a lot to all. I will surely stick with Public Mobile. 90 days at a time....

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Wow,

That is a great review @ute1978, thank you so much for your feedback and Kudos to you for showing your appreciation.

Welcome to Public Mobile & to our amazing community.

I hope you have a pleasant adventure with us 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @ute1978!

Love the detailed and interesting review of PM.  Very happy that your internet addiction is cured and you get to keep the plan that works for you.  

On the other hand I am thrilled to get more data while no increase in price starting today on the new plan.

I can't remember the last time a Canadian mobile carrier decreased prices or offered more for the same price.

pmobile

Awesome review!

I am loving Public Mobile as well, lots of savings and lots of options to find what works best for your own usage.  

I am still within my first 90 days with Public Mobile and I opted for the 4GB of data.  I've been monitoring my usage though and decided that I am better suited with the 1GB data option so I put in a request to switch over at my next 90 day renewal time.  More savings so I am not paying for what I am not using = a happy PM customer 🙂

We're both singing that happy Money makes the world go round tune!

Need Help? Let's chat.