cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luddite
Oracle

Keys to trouble free PM service

Given my experience, and the 10 friends/relatives I persuaded to join, the keys to glitch free service (after one gets correctly activated Robot wink) are:

• turn on autopay
  • never change your plan
  • never port-in while activating
  • never buy an add-on
  • always delete the current credit card before making any changes

2-4 years, and counting, glitch free. None had a problem activating as well.

BUT, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and risk one of the changes. In which case, https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.

Accepted Solutions
srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Keys to trouble free PM service

@Luddite I'm trying to decide if this guide is somewhat tongue-in-cheek or 100% serious?  I mean, yes, never changing your plan and never buying any add-ons I guess would be trouble-free, but also quite restrictive.  It's kind of like never leaving your house so you know you will never be hit by a bus while walking down the street--sure, you're safe, but you're also missing out on a lot in life.  

But overall, I'd agree with most of the advice above, particularly the bits about not porting until after you've activated and confirmed the services are working, your phone is compatible, your data (if applicable) is flowing, etc.

EDIT: here's one to add to the list:

Never, ever, under any circumstances, look at your self-serve account between about 10 AM on your Payment Due Date and about 2PM on the following date.  If you make the mistake of looking and think something is amiss, as long as your services are still working (you're still able to call/text/data (as applicable) like normal), then whatever you do, don't do anything.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite I'm trying to decide if this guide is somewhat tongue-in-cheek or 100% serious?  I mean, yes, never changing your plan and never buying any add-ons I guess would be trouble-free, but also quite restrictive.  It's kind of like never leaving your house so you know you will never be hit by a bus while walking down the street--sure, you're safe, but you're also missing out on a lot in life.  

But overall, I'd agree with most of the advice above, particularly the bits about not porting until after you've activated and confirmed the services are working, your phone is compatible, your data (if applicable) is flowing, etc.

EDIT: here's one to add to the list:

Never, ever, under any circumstances, look at your self-serve account between about 10 AM on your Payment Due Date and about 2PM on the following date.  If you make the mistake of looking and think something is amiss, as long as your services are still working (you're still able to call/text/data (as applicable) like normal), then whatever you do, don't do anything.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Yeah I don't quite get the not buying add-ons. Roaming add-ons maybe due to known bugs and general hassles. But the other add-ons are solid as far as I've experienced.

GR
Mayor / Maire

I set up my 7 accounts with autopay but a week or so before each is due I log in and click make a payment and add the funds needed for the renewal and I've never had a problem. Also once I downgraded a plan for 40$ to 25$ and I put the 40$ on the account just in case and it went down no problem.   I've never bought roaming add ons but I bought the 5$ and 8$ extra minutes before and those worked great! I can't complain, I love public mobile and the money savings! 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Good suggestions @Luddite  but I'm in agreement with everyone here that not changing to a different plan if your needs change would be restrictive and having add-ons makes limited plans not only more complete but still affordable for anyone who is more budget conscious.

I have made a couple of plan changes without any issues, one during a particularly trying time when PM upgraded their $15 plan a few months ago.  I have also bought add-ons and am on autopay and never preload funds for renewal, and have not experienced, so far, any major glitches.  

Hope I'm not jinxing myself though:)

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

While your points are accurate @Luddite, I would say the customer shouldn't be held hostage due to poor implementation by Telus. They need to fix issues so that services offered are glitch-free.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

While your points are accurate @Luddite, I would say the customer shouldn't be held hostage due to poor implementation by Telus. They need to fix issues so that services offered are glitch-free.

I fully agree with this statement.  It’s limiting to have reoccurring errors which have been around for years, without being fixed.  Telus needs to up the funding to fix these ongoing issues.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

I fully agree with this statement.  It’s limiting to have reoccurring errors which have been around for years, without being fixed.  Telus needs to up the funding to fix these ongoing issues.

Telus has the funding. They are doing this by choice. The PM business model is clearly designed to push customers to Koodo. Get everyone frustrated and periodically incent them to upgrade. The costs of fixing these issues are nominal because Telus and Koodo have prepaid platforms that work without any of these glitches. Telus could easily port PM/PM customers to their working platform with a few coding changes for branding and be done with it. They don't because they prefer PM to f**cked up because they think it makes for better business.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

I agree with @JackQuint Public Mobile's Billing / selfserve system is "off the shelf" solution by Optiva with customization by Public Mobile.. Optiva also works with AT&T, Tmobile, Vodafone etc. so I got a feeling they know what they are doing.

Back to the topic, I prepare for the worst and hope for the best, to add something relevant to the thread. I would say keep a month's fee in the account before account renewal time.. just in case autopay fails. You can sync your voucher purchasing when Canadian Tire do their 50x events at their gas bars.. apparently CT's 50x purchasing work differently in store / gas bars, you get 50x when you are at gas bars.

jor123
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JackQuint wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Telus has the funding. They are doing this by choice. The PM business model is clearly designed to push customers to Koodo. Get everyone frustrated and periodically incent them to upgrade. The costs of fixing these issues are nominal because Telus and Koodo have prepaid platforms that work without any of these glitches. Telus could easily port PM/PM customers to their working platform with a few coding changes for branding and be done with it. They don't because they prefer PM to f**cked up because they think it makes for better business.

You would think if anything issues would push people away from Telus brands and into Rogers or Bell.

Need Help? Let's chat.