cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping public mobile as a data plan

maddog1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to change my number over to Shaw but keep my public mobile account open with a new number to use for data. Any help would be appreciated thanks

9 REPLIES 9

I know this is over a week old and OP will likely not see my response. If by chance the number that@maddog1234 wants t keep were originally a SHAW number that was ported to PM, cutting the number lose by doing a number change on the PM account and then having SHAW look for the old number to activate a new account with them would likely be do-able. BUT, not Very likely that it was a Number originally from Freedom or whatever it was called before SHAW bought it and renamed it Freedom. 

AE_Collector

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@maddog1234 If you have a multi sim phone that supports esim this is an option (approximately $24/month for 3 GB 4G);

https://www.airalo.com/canada

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you want a cheap data only plan, go to Lucky Mobile. 

$15/month for 750MB ( I think) and then throttled unlimited after that. Plus, you can put your LuckyMobile service on an eSim if you phone supports that.

2 things PM seems to be lacking when comparing 3rd tier providers.

@popping wrote:

@maddog1234 wrote:

I want to change my number over to Shaw but keep my public mobile account open with a new number to use for data. Any help would be appreciated thanks

As soon as you port your number to Shaw, your current account will be closed.

Option 1:  Port your number to Shaw

Activate a new plan with the same plan you are using now.  This will cost you $10 for a new SIM card.  But you can get someone to give you a refer-a-friend code to get $10 credit to offset your SIM card cost.

Remove your autopay cc info before porting your number to Shaw.

Option 2:  Get a new number at Shaw

Keep your current PM account and plan

^^ This.

Additional note:

PM doesn't offer data only plans anymore. And if you are on the grandfathered $30/1GB data only plan you are paying too much for your data, IMHO.

So, any in-market Public Mobile plan that contains data also contains talk and text. Which means, again my personal point of view (I prefer the solid Telus backing of PM over what my understanding is of Shaw Mobile...), you are not really gaining anything by combining the two services - unless I'm totally missing something.

If you are trying to use Shaw Mobile as WiFi calling option / addition to PM, you can always take a new number with Shaw and forward calls from your Public Mobile line to that new number.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@maddog1234 wrote:

As soon as you port your number to Shaw, your current account will be closed.

Option 1:  Port your number to Shaw

Activate a new plan with the same plan you are using now.  This will cost you $10 for a new SIM card.  But you can get someone to give you a refer-a-friend code to get $10 credit to offset your SIM card cost.

Remove your autopay cc info before porting your number to Shaw.

Option 2:  Get a new number at Shaw

Keep your current PM account and plan

@maddog1234 wrote:

Can I change my number before my number is ported open?

Sorry, but no you can't. A number that isn't active can't be ported anywhere.

@maddog1234 wrote:

You would need to buy a new Public Mobile sim card, open a new Public Mobile account. You'll be treated as a new customer.

maddog1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I change my number before my number is ported open?

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@maddog1234 wrote:

@maddog1234 hi I'm sorry but once you port number your  account closes

Need Help? Let's chat.