cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Number While Travelling

EJomo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm planning on going traveling to SEA for 3-4 months and want to cancel my plan until I'm back in Canada, but I don't want to lose my phone number, as I'd like to seamlessly transition back into a Public Mobile plan.

Does anybody have any experience with this? From what I've read you can purchase add-ons every 90 days to maintain your phone number?

8 REPLIES 8

MrElbe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

By going to "sea" I think the poster meant traveling to South East Asia. Not going on a ship.

@popping wrote:

@EJomo wrote:

I'm planning on going traveling to SEA for 3-4 months and want to cancel my plan until I'm back in Canada, but I don't want to lose my phone number, as I'd like to seamlessly transition back into a Public Mobile plan.

Does anybody have any experience with this? From what I've read you can purchase add-ons every 90 days to maintain your phone number?

Yes.  You can stop renewing your plan.  Your plan will be suspended.  You can pay and reactivate every 89 or ealier to avoid your account being canceled.  Since your are travel on sea, how often you get WiFi?  

It is may be easier to switch to the $15 plan.  With autopay, you are paying only $13 per 30 days.  Then, forget about reactivation every 89 days or less.

@popping...good eye...I thought OP meant "travelling to Seattle for 3-4 months" Going to sea is a whole different thing. .

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@EJomo wrote:

Perfect, if I go change my plan do I lose my loyalty reward?

I'll be getting a sim card in each country I go so I don't have to rely on wifi.

If you switch to the cheapest $15 plan, you will continue to get your loyalty reward.  Otherwise, if you suspend your plan, your anniversary date to be delay the same amount of days while your account is suspended.

EJomo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Perfect, if I go change my plan do I lose my loyalty reward?

I'll be getting a sim card in each country I go so I don't have to rely on wifi.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@EJomo Add-ons are useless for your need; they REQUIRE an active plan. 

A summary of all the suggestions so far is here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

Enjoy the travel; I love open ocean cruising. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@EJomo wrote:

One option is to get a free voip app like TextNow. You can call and text any Cdn or Us number as long as you have a robust wifi signal. Wifi is in most homes, cafes and stores nowadays. I'm sure there's other voip apps but I've used textNow and it works fine for me.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@EJomo wrote:

Yes.  You can stop renewing your plan.  Your plan will be suspended.  You can pay and reactivate every 89 or ealier to avoid your account being canceled.  Since your are travel on sea, how often you get WiFi?  

It is may be easier to switch to the $15 plan.  With autopay, you are paying only $13 per 30 days.  Then, forget about reactivation every 89 days or less.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@EJomo wrote:

You account can be suspended for 90 days...after that it's closed for good. Downgrade to the cheapest plan ($15)...30 days later it'll expire. In 85 days renew that plan.

The only add-ons to US are 10 Days Roaming talk/text/data...only good for 10 days at a time.

Need Help? Let's chat.