cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just found "no service" on my phone.

sxtra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I haven't been using Public mobile service since I didn't make phone calls and always use WIFI in home for these days. I just found that my phone is "no service" now. I don't know when did this happen but I put the SIM to another phone and still won't work. I double checked my account and it shows normal. My last payment was on Jan. 7 and I have autoPay setup. 

What happened to my service? Please help!

22 REPLIES 22

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@sxtra  Nice to hear a positive outcome 🙂 Enjoy the weekend and stay safe!

sxtra

Hi, all, here is the update. I contacted moderators last night and they friendly replied me since this morning. After several conversation, my service was successfully restored to my original SIM card and everything seems fine now. They said that further investigation will be taking place but at least my service is back. I'll let you know if there is anything new. Thanks a lot for your help and advices. Cheers!

@darlicious 

I do see close to one a day reporting no service and being told to compare SIM serial number with the one registered online etc. I see many of these people come back saying “They don't match!” But I cant say I have seen one person come back to say anything bad happened as a result of this. Maybe I just managed to miss all of that.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

You haven't seen anyone come back......?

There is almost one a day here now....luckily the regulars have come to recognize this for what it is and advise appropriately that for the most part the financial damage has been minimal for most victims.

@Anonymous 

Oh right...yeah I wasn’t looking at it quite right. Just a SIM replacement but by someone else to take over your phone service. Likely to use any payment systems linked to your phone I guess and/or to receive the 2 factor ID checks from banks etc before your account is emptied.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector : We have read of people saying their PayPal had been hit.

SIM-jacking is taking over the services of your account.

Porting out is taking the number elsewhere thereby killing the account (as we know).

How can this still continue to happen so frequently when the new procedure is in place sending a person a text to port out which effectively what a SIM-Jack is...isn’t it? Could a defective SIM be the cause of number mismatch? I haven’t seen anyone come back on here after saying their numbers don’t match and tell us of any bank accounts being cleaned out or even minor problems being discovered. But yes I know, reporting back here isn’t at the top of the list of you now have a whole load of financial problems because of being SIM-jacked.

AE_Collector

613Delaney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There are directions in the original post.

613Delaney

It happened.  It's been fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@613Delaney wrote:

This is exactly what happened to me.

@613Delaney : Did you read all the posts in this thread? The reply from username Jb456 is what you need to do.

Or are you just saying that this happened to you too and that you have done what's needed.

@613Delaney wrote:

@613Delaney And? What happened? Did you follow the advice given in this thread?

Cucumber999

What did you go to fix it?

613Delaney

@Cucumber999 wrote:

This happened to my brother. It turned out to be a defective SIM card. More than likely you need to replace your SIM card. Hope this helps. 

@Cucumber999 Though it's commendable for wanting to jump in and help out as a new poster, you really should read the thread and replies first. The OP @sxtra already confirmed that the sim registered on his account is not the same as the sim he has in his phone. He doesn't have a defective sim, he was sim-jacked.

Cucumber999

This happened to my brother. It turned out to be a defective SIM card. More than likely you need to replace your SIM card. Hope this helps. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sxtra wrote:

Thanks a lot! Yes the SIM # are different! I'm really shocked. I've suspended my account and changed password. Message has been sent to the moderators. Hope my other accounts don't get invaded. 

😥

Change your secuirty question too.  Also change the password to your e-mail address if you use the same password.

sxtra

Thanks a lot! Yes the SIM # are different! I'm really shocked. I've suspended my account and changed password. Message has been sent to the moderators. Hope my other accounts don't get invaded. 

😥

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Hopefully sim numbers match. January 7th to now is a very long time for hacker's. Or from last time you used the phone.

@sxtra 

If your sim card does not match immediately suspend your service via lost/stolen. You can find it on the plans or the usage page in your account.  Then change your password. Call your financial institution and any other accounts you have your phone number associated to for 2FA. Once your accounts are secure contact the miderators to restore your account.

@sxtra 

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

It will show you last 4 digits of the sim card. Now take the sim out of your phone do they match?

If they don't you have Been a victim of simjacking.

Click plans and add-ons then lost/stolen mark it as stolen to block whoever has access to your account sim.

Then immediately start changing all your passwords and check your financials for fraud. Be sure to check PayPal if you have an account, change that password immediately as the simjackers seem to target that first.

Then open a ticket for moderators to investigate. They have away to get your current sim card working again.

Screenshot_20210104_110512.jpg

Or private message them at link below 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Or your other option for a faster resolution is to go out and buy a new sim card. DO NOT ACTIVATE IT!!. You have to take the brand new sim card and log into your account. Click "Change sim card" enter new sim card number and you will be back up and running.

Let us know!

sxtra

Hi, I've been with Public for almost 2 years and haven't changed SIM. 

How to check SIM card # in my account? 

Thanks,

@sxtra wrote:

Hi, I haven't been using Public mobile service since I didn't make phone calls and always use WIFI in home for these days. I just found that my phone is "no service" now. I don't know when did this happen but I put the SIM to another phone and still won't work. I double checked my account and it shows normal. My last payment was on Jan. 7 and I have autoPay setup. 

What happened to my service? Please help!

This could be a temporary network issue. In your account, the the SIM card # match the one that you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.