cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just came across this... Koodo offering targeted 4gb for $10 addon

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just an observation... Ive been comparing prices everywhere really just to see if any prices drop, either anyway or just in terms of covid, with the way the economy is headed. 

So far, ive noticed overall with all carriers that data offerings are growing, but nothing in the way of price lowering for non-heavy data users (say Koodo matching the $25 plan here or even for $30 as a random example i just made up)... 

so data overall is beginning to cost less, but not airtime/texts. so far... will be curious to see what follows

Anyone else following the overall market out of total curiousity? 

7 REPLIES 7

@sheytoon wrote:

Sorry @will13am but I disagree. Data delivery might be cheap compared to what is being charged to the customer, but it's nowhere near free.

There are hardware and software/licensing costs for 4G and 5G cell sites. Also costs for site acquisition, landlord/real estate rent, construction/rigging, power, professional engineering services/tower reinforcements, fiber/transport equipment delivery, core network/data centre management, operations and engineering staff.

It doesn't justify the high prices, but it's also not fair to say $10 data add-on is all profit.

@sheytoon , I should have clarified the variable costs are nearly nothing.  It is the same infrastructure to deliver service for 1GB data compared to 3GB data.  I made the comment thinking to the days when Bhell used to charge $1 per GB of overage for home internet.  They were trying to convince the CRTC that overage fees were a great bargain.  I have problem coming to terms with I got by with 60GB of monthly usage when the home internet was first metered.  

nguifombeoh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great observation.  I noticed that too. I wonder why there in no drop in prices given the current situation 

Sorry @will13am but I disagree. Data delivery might be cheap compared to what is being charged to the customer, but it's nowhere near free.

There are hardware and software/licensing costs for 4G and 5G cell sites. Also costs for site acquisition, landlord/real estate rent, construction/rigging, power, professional engineering services/tower reinforcements, fiber/transport equipment delivery, core network/data centre management, operations and engineering staff.

It doesn't justify the high prices, but it's also not fair to say $10 data add-on is all profit.

zblackma

@Pawprints1986it looks like they are trying to find ways around the CTRC ruling to cut prices on certain plans within 2 years.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Data delivery is cheap.  There's literally $10 of profit on that add-on.  Note that this service is not focused on large data buckets.  It's all about the rewards which bring cost down. 

Pawprints1986

At least for now it's definitely my perfect fit! In time I may down the road need a new device, but for now especially with 0 need to roam for the foreseeable future, I'm solid! 😁

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

I used to check out different providers to see if they had a better deal but i dont have to do that anymore. It's really nice to feel appreciated, paying a fair price for good service, excellent coverage,  understanding  moderators, great customer support on the community and the feeling that you are part of this big extended family. I've said this before about public mobile....i love my phone company! Quirks, glitches, minor mishaps and all ....nothings perfect in life but I've found the perfect fit for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.