cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joke for the Day #2

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Ok you know what they say about people who post news stories without bothering to check any facts?

Apparently "Fido launched a $40 4GB plan to compete with ... VIRGIN!Cat LOL

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fido-promo-lineups-vancouver-november-2016

17 REPLIES 17

@Eug wrote:
Fido never raised the price of any of the plans I was on in the entire 18 years I was with them. 

Yes they do. The wireless code prevents raising plan so instead they raise price of add-ons.

I have just recently cancelled another line with them that lost so much functionality (unless willing to pay extra $$$)

They also reduce your hardware upgrades like clockwork trying to force you off legacy plans

@Eug the Fido $40 offer was eligible to add Canada long distance

I think it was +$12?

Eug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@McLaren wrote:

@Eug just reading from rfd that they had black Friday promos last year then a few months later upped the prices 

Some people are still on those same Black Friday promos at the same price AFAIK. However, they no longer can get credits to reduce the pricing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the past you could get a promo rate and then if you were month-to-month non-contract you could get an additional credit for say $5 off, which would expire in 6-12 months. Yes, at the end of the 6-12 months (or occasionally 24 months) the cost would go up, but it would only go up to the original price. That's for Fido though. Dunno about Virgin.

However, I'm sure I don't know all the available plans out there. Perhaps there were a couple that Fido raised (aside from that old 6 GB plan from $30 to $35). But if so, it's the exception rather than the rule, and anyways, Public Mobile has raised plan prices in the past too IIRC.

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Eug just reading from rfd that they had black Friday promos last year then a few months later upped the prices 

Eug

@McLaren wrote:

Fido and Virgin will just raise the prices in a few months like they have done in the past 

Fido never raised the price of any of the plans I was on in the entire 18 years I was with them. 

The only one that might have been raised had I kept it was an 8 year old 6 GB plan, which they raised from $30 to $35 like 7 years later. However, but by that time I was on a different plan, and was on that for four years before I switched to PM. They never raised the price of that plan.

I think the issue here is Fido started being very stingy with additional credits. But the original plan pricing never was increased. It's just they wouldn't reduce the plan prices much anymore if you called in.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's good that they're mentioned 🙂

McLaren

Fido and Virgin will just raise the prices in a few months like they have done in the past 

dZilla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

They did mention PM in the news article... Although passingly it seems. I'm confused now was it always in there? lol did I not read it correctly? lol

Regardless PM is mentioned in the article 🙂

Eug

@kav2001c wrote:

Ok you know what they say about people who post news stories without bothering to check any facts?

Apparently "Fido launched a $40 4GB plan to compete with ... VIRGIN!Cat LOL

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fido-promo-lineups-vancouver-november-2016

Actually, that's not completely inaccurate. Fido's deal was arguably just as much of a response (if not more) to Virgin post-paid than to Public Mobile directly (even though Virgin's offering was a response to Public Mobile). Fido post-paid doesn't traditionally compete against Public Mobile, and they resisted competing with this deal for a long time until Virgin succumbed.

In fact, some of the Fido agents were calling it the Virgin-competitive deal or something like that.

BTW, had Fido had a Canada-wide voice + 4 GB data plan for say $45, I would have taken that over the PM plan. Even at $50 I would have considered it, because of the lack of customer service availability on PM. Actually the plan was $52 for Canada-wide, albeit with the lame mini-voicemail.

However, I wasn't given the chance to consider it because it was just for AB and BC.

Come Boxing day, if there is a decent Fido or Virgin post-paid plan with 4 GB I will consider porting away from Public Mobile, unless PM can demonstrate they can vastly improve their customer service philosophy.

Rockdaddy22
You'd think the news would mention that.

Watoko

But that's because VIRGIN launched a plan to match PM. We've caused a ripple!!

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c ohh yes !. i completely forgot their usual trick..overage charges !!!

@neo911 and remember, Fido/Virgin both come with those great overage charges

Long distance, roaming, data over, even mms

All extras

Rockdaddy22
Sorry just noticed the Virgin thing. Lol what idiots, no love for PM I guess

Rockdaddy22
Old news lol

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lol..

crazy people..standing in a queue for over an hour to get the offer from Fido.

When PM offers the same plan from the comfort of your own home !

Go PM!!!!!

dZilla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And everyone should go comment on it and correct it. Let them knows its because of PM. No Virgin!

Need Help? Let's chat.