cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues making and receiving phone calls

cacharles
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When specific people call me or I call them either I am unable to hear them or they are unable to hear me. My sister called and she said she couldn't hear it ringing but I received a call from her and picked up however, neither of us were able to hear the other one. I have also had instances when my mom has called me and she is not able to hear me but I can hear her. I thought it was isolated to my family out of province, but my mechanic tried to call and the same thing happened. Not sure if it's related to my phone or service. It doesn't happen every time I get or make a phone call but it is happening more and more. 

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@cacharles wrote:

When specific people call me or I call them either I am unable to hear them or they are unable to hear me. My sister called and she said she couldn't hear it ringing but I received a call from her and picked up however, neither of us were able to hear the other one. I have also had instances when my mom has called me and she is not able to hear me but I can hear her. I thought it was isolated to my family out of province, but my mechanic tried to call and the same thing happened. Not sure if it's related to my phone or service. It doesn't happen every time I get or make a phone call but it is happening more and more. 

An important piece of information is to know what provider the other parties are using. These types of issues might not be too surprising if they are using a free calling app or other VoIP service. It would be more surprising if they are using Public Mobile as well. Hard to know if you're getting this from companies calling you though...

You can try test calls to one of the Canadian numbers on the below linked page for an echo test service, which will confirm that both your Mic and your speaker are working if you can hear yourself...

https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/

• +1 416 342 9562 (Toronto, ON)
  • +1 250 412 5922 (Victoria, BC)

Also test with speakerphone, a headset or bluetooth device, bluetooth disabled. etc.

There's been a few others reporting issues with receiving calls at all (going straight to voicemail) that a workaround to resolve the issue seems to be to disable LTE for now, and use only the 3G/HSPA/WCDMA mode only. You could try this as well to see if it helps. Sometimes the network switching from LTE to 3G takes to long or fails the transition since calls have to use the 3G network since Public Mobile does not support VoLTE.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@cacharles 

Following @Triguy  & @Staliger  suggestions, I'd try actually swapping out SIM card with someone (maybe with a different cell provider) and calling each other (with the opposite SIM in either phone), to establish conclusively whether it's a network or device problem.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Is it happening in the same area ?

Check your coverage area.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage. 

Try rebooting your phone.  If you have another then try swapping the sim to see whether it works.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@cacharles Many factors can play a role. Where are you located? What is your signal strength? Did it happen before? What is your device? Did you try using SIM in another phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.