cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is unlimited texting really unlimited?

haoc8888
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My plan has unlimited text messages.

I need to text hundreds of my contacts to promote my new website every day.

Does anybody know if texting a thousand times a day is allowed?

Or is unlimited texting really unlimited?

Thanks.

44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@haoc8888 : It'll be interesting to see what happens at the boundary. Do the texts just not go through? Do you get a warning? Do you get suspended?

haoc8888

thank you @softech . good idea.

I'll try 1 text per minute and 200 texts for first day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

So, maybe this time you can try it once and answer it for the Community!!!  🙂

Love it!. That's how you do it. Explore the boundary. And report your findings here.

i agree the policy is not clear.  Although you can try to open a ticket but I honestly don't know if CS Agent will provide you with a solid number.  Sometimes big firm purposely make it unclear, so, they reserve the right to do whatever they want..  .. 

spam filter is more a timing issue.    I don't think it is 300 per day.  I think it is more per "shot" or within a min or 5 mins?

i would try with 199 first and wait 5 mins and try again and see.

the limit was discussed here before but I don't think we got a definite number.   So, maybe this time you can try it once and answer it for the Community!!!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@haoc8888 : I'm not sure it's been stated. The usage policy is not clear. But it definitely mentions abuse...whatever that line in the sand is.

Edit: I don't think it's ridiculous. A human typing one short word send, one short word send could put out maybe 1 per second. So sure 3600 per hour. But why would they do that? A human would type a sentence. Wait for a reply. Type a sentence. etc. That's far less than 1 per second.

haoc8888

as @softech mentioned, spam filter will trigger after 200-250.

if I know the number, say it's 300. I'll just send 299 a day.

but then "unlimited" here means 300 or less. It's ridiculous.

haoc8888

@Anonymous

@softech 

don't know how to quote other's comments.

the bulk limitation is what i want to know.

it's really unlimited, but just need to be careful about the spam filter. 

So, try it and let us know what happens..

haoc8888

I wrote an android program to send text messages one by one. So it's possible to send 1000 texts in one hour.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, it's unlimited text but if you send to multiple recipients, bulk SMS, that might trigger carrier's spam filter

I have read something and it did say some carrier has SMS Spam filter that blocks SMS.   It was a general articles so I am not sure if Canadian Carrier is doing it.  Also, it mentions each carrier has it own rules to filter and determine SPAM or not.  Sending bulk SMS might trigger the filter.  

I think there was another story about someone's account got blocked after 200-250 mark.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@haoc8888 : This post refers to a prior thread that would suggest there are likely bulk limitations. Check out the Service Terms down in the footer.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I never heard of a limit with PM.

But how you are going to send out the mass email?  are you going to send the send text to multiple people like a group text?  your app might limit you how many you can send at a time.  Some app only limits 8.  So, you send 1000 in a day would be lots of manual work

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@haoc8888 wrote:

My plan has unlimited text messages.

I need to text hundreds of my contacts to promote my new website every day.

Does anybody know if texting a thousand times a day is allowed?

Or is unlimited texting really unlimited?

Thanks.

All current plans have unlimited international texting.

You should read the terms.

Terms and conditions   

Taxes are extra. The account must have sufficient funds to cover the total cost each month.

Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included. Picture messaging on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

• * The stated benchmark for wireless affordability was released by the Liberal Party on Liberal.ca. Public Mobile does not affiliate with nor endorse any political Party.

1. Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see here.

2. Add-Ons are available for use only with an active plan. Long distance Add-Ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan.

3. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in US calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. Calls made to numbers starting with the following UK codes are not included in UK calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 4470, 44870-44879, 44843-44845.

4. Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed. US Roaming speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, our partner’s applicable network management, the base plan you have purchased and other factors.

5. Calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes.

6. Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US.

7. We will use your email address to send you information about promotions, special offers and news about Public Mobile events and services. All communications will be coming from Public Mobile. Our contact information is: Marketing Preferences, 30 Floor, 25 York Street, Toronto ON M5J 2V5. You can withdraw your consent to receive electronic messages from Public Mobile at any time.

• * The stated benchmark for wireless affordability was released by the Liberal Party on Liberal.ca. Public Mobile does not affiliate with nor endorse any political Party.
Need Help? Let's chat.