cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any comparable service provider to PM?

kefirpancakes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all - I recently moved to PM from Koodo (with them for over 10 years!) and I got thinking, that I would have accrued so many loyalty points had I been with PM for that same length of time (I know PM hasn't exist for that long). But I wish I had the foresight to change my plan earlier. I was holding onto my $15 koodo grandfathered plan for so long, that I didn't want to let go. 

What other providers have a similar sort of loyalty retention plan that PM has?

13 REPLIES 13

Public, Lucky, and Chatr are the third-tier Canadian phone providers.

Similar plans and prices, mostly. They each have their own gimmick and they each sometimes run a special/promo which blows the others away. Public's Reward system is hard to beat, though, especially if you intend to stay across the long term instead of hopping carriers every time you see a better offer elsewhere. Lucky can be a better deal than Public if you do lots of long distance calling to a country in one of their packages (especially if your country is not on Public's "International" list).

Lucky and Public use the same combined "Bellus" network, Chatr runs on the Rogers network, they have different coverage and QoS in some areas (sometimes better, sometimes worse, typically more or less identical). The Rogers network has both the very fastest and the very slowest data speeds across Canada, you could get awesome 5G in a few cities and slow 3G or marginal 4G almost everywhere else, Telus and Bell networks are more consistent performers. Chatr's "endless data" is notoriously slow.

Freedom can be a better deal than Public if you (and the people you call) are in Freedom Zones. Not so great a deal outside the Zones (ie: all the rest of Canada). They focus a lot on "cheap" heavy data plans with big data buckets, but their offerings on low-cost "basic" plans usually aren't so compelling.

I summarized things in this comparison about a year ago. (Some details and prices have changed since then, but I won't bother constantly keeping my old post updated.)

I'm still with Public because they're still the best deal. For my needs, anyhow.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I love public mobile. I'm so glad I finally switched I was paying way too much with Fido and I didn't even have data now I'm saving $65 a month. I can't believe I paid so much for so long!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

https://fizz.ca/en/mobile?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitG23ZGW6gIVZRh9Ch1QQwC0EAAYAiAAEgL7hfD_BwE

@kefirpancakes 

The only other mobile provider that has innovative and incentive based plans in Canada that is similar to public mobile would be fizz mobile based in quebec. They cannot compare for coverage but have reasonably priced plans, data sharing, roll overs, top ups and referrals.

kefirpancakes

I was getting way more bang for my buck for $15 with PM rather than koodo, so decided to make the change!

Werden203
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Whereas with Public Mobile, you continue to be rewarded for every friend you refer.

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

just wondering why you switched? $15 sounds like a good deal as well!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kefirpancakes wrote:

Hi all - I recently moved to PM from Koodo (with them for over 10 years!) and I got thinking, that I would have accrued so many loyalty points had I been with PM for that same length of time (I know PM hasn't exist for that long). But I wish I had the foresight to change my plan earlier. I was holding onto my $15 koodo grandfathered plan for so long, that I didn't want to let go. 

What other providers have a similar sort of loyalty retention plan that PM has?

Koodo referral credit is $25/friend.  Max $300/calendar year.

If you stay with Koodo $15 plan($180/year), you can get free service by actively sending 7 to 8 customers to Koodo every year.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@kefirpancakes actually PM has been around for more then ten years, 10 years and almost three months less a day. Although their loyalty program has not been. 

And you are right they have THE best loyalty and rewards program at this point. I have not seen anything at this point that can compare. You do have to have a but of patience with the online help, but I dont mind that at all. 

Thanks for being apart of it! 

"Launched on March 18, 2010, Public Mobile was one of several new Canadian cellphone providers that started in 2009–10 after a federal government initiative to encourage competition in the wireless sector. Public Mobile was acquired by Telus in October 2013."

kefirpancakes

I have to say, the fact that I personally have some level of control over reducing my monthly phone bill makes me feel quite powerful... bill management management has become a lot more proactive for me since I switched to PM! And I've really enjoyed it so far. 

Lucky "did" have. All in the past now and not that good of a program compared to PM. 

And I too hung on to our 2 loyalty prepaid accounts with Telus. Just because it was called Loyalty and I proudly negotiated it. But PM offers far far more for less. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 7.23.28 PM.png

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@kefirpancakes As I know, only PM has such a reward system. No one can compare with it, and that's the idea!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yanzhiqiang  yes PM is the only one with rewards and the ability to reduce your bill to $0.  some have auto pay rewards that give some bonus data but nothing like PM.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As far as I know(I am maybe wrong), Public Mobile is the only one has the reward program.

Need Help? Let's chat.