cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to temporarily disable voicemail?

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't want to remove the voicemail feature.  I just want it so that when someone calls they can't leave a message (they would just get the 'The person you called is not available please try again later' standard greeting). 

Is this possible?

13 REPLIES 13

@Miky wrote:

there is no physical way to turn of that feature, the easest way to change your greeting " this number does not accept any messages, please do not leave any messsage" , allow your voice mail to be full. no one can leave message.

You can record an extended absence greeting to that extent and then press "5" do disable the ability to leave a message.

@srlawrendid one of his excellent write-ups on that here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

Miky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

there is no physical way to turn of that feature, the easest way to change your greeting " this number does not accept any messages, please do not leave any messsage" , allow your voice mail to be full. no one can leave message.

Miky

I do not know the physical way to do so, but the easy way is allow the voice mail to be full to the limit. no oneelse can leave a message.

Geezer
Geezer

Re: How to permanently disable/remove Voice Mail on my account?

Kudos to @firstdataplan for coming up with the proper answer to the voice mail problem for us 50 minute plan users. This is tested and works. Mind you it cost me 25 minutes of time to test it. Even if you have call forwarding turned off on your phone they forward your calls. Even if you dismiss the incoming call with your power button the call is still going on in the background and is forwarded. The network won't let you turn off call forwarding. You can't delete the voicemail number in the phone settings but you can change the number. So I changed the 1 to a 9 et voila, it works, but it has to be an unreachable number. I got lucky on my first try. I even put that number on a block list so I couldn't call it myself and the phone still lets me call that number. Seems like the network has too much control over my phone.

Tested on Samsung A5 2017 model. A query to a MOD was very helpful as they reset my time to 50 for me. Most appreciative.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@erotavlas, I have no idea what it might have been previously.  that's just the number I had taken note of when a reliable source (probably one of the oracles) had mentioned it a couple of months ago. 

@Anonymous

10? Did this change recently?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@erotavlas wrote:

Ok I could try that (filling mailbox with messages) I just don't know the message capacity.  Is it measured in time? Or number of individual messages?

@erotavlas, I think voice mail holds up to 10 messages.  I have seen posts that indicate that they are stored for either 10 or 20 days (can't remember which - sorry).

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@erotavlas

You can setup the "Extended Absence Greeting" telling your caller that you are not available.  The voicemail system will not allow caller to leave any message.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

=====================================================================

Adding an Extended Absence Greeting

An extended absence greeting allows you to record an alternate greeting, which can be up to 1 minute long, without deleting the one you have recorded. You can use it as an after-hours greeting or to leave special instructions, for instance if you temporarily don’t want to accept voicemail.

To set up an extended absence greeting, dial into your voicemail. From the main menu, follow the arrows in the below visual.

9fig4.png

===================================================================

erotavlas

Ok I could try that (filling mailbox with messages) I just don't know the message capacity.  Is it measured in time? Or number of individual messages?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@erotavlas, I think you should be able to change the voicemail number on your phone to a number that is invalid.  In that case, your phone would not forward to any valid voicemail server.  If there is no other system option, it might be worth a try.

@erotavlas wrote:

What about leaving myself a bunch of messages until the mailbox fills up?  Will that work?

That would prevent someone from leaving a message for sure.  But I'm unsure what the exact message will say.   I think one time when mine was full, it said something like "voicemail box is full" to the caller but I can't remember exactly (I was using Bell Mobility back then).   Voicemail box system are pretty standardized, so Public Mobile's might be similar.  You can give it a try and you'll know the answer for sure when you call your number. 

erotavlas

What about leaving myself a bunch of messages until the mailbox fills up?  Will that work?

@erotavlas wrote:

I don't want to remove the voicemail feature.  I just want it so that when someone calls they can't leave a message (they would just get the 'The person you called is not available please try again later' standard greeting). 

Is this possible?

I know of no option to do that.  The message that you speak of is the message that someone would get if there was no voicemail on the account, but all Public Mobile talk plans have voicemail boxes.

If for some reason you are wondering this because you want to avoid calls from a specific phoen number, there are software apps available that can set so that they answer any calls from that number and then quickly hang up on that person so a voice message can't be left.  I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Need Help? Let's chat.