cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public Mobile shutting down??

Gotmilk2go
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got a phone call from a Telus operator telling me that PM would stop it’s services on March 16th, and that all clients would have to transfer. I would be given the same rates apparently but would have to switch over to Telus or Koodo.

Is this legit? I’ve looked at other posts about this from 2019 and earlier, so I don’t think it is, but I wanted to be sure. 

43 REPLIES 43

Koodo is taking over pm oh no! I highly doubt it as they just announced improvements to the community

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Would be interesting if it is real..

It's sound like just a Koodo or Telus sales looking for some business.

However, the line "would be given the same rates apparently but would have to switch over to Telus or Koodo", I guess Telus and Koodo don't have rate as low as PM, how can this agent offer this if it is a only a sales call?

Anyway,  PM just gone through the "trouble" of the Provincial calling announcement, really doubt there is another drama coming soon.

@Gotmilk2go , you should have talk to the person and get us more "insider news". LoL

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have asked my YWG contacts to pretend the message never happened and see what really happens in a couple of weeks time.  Is this an act of selfishness to preserve referrals?  I guess we will find out soon enough.  I have staked my reputation on this being a non event.  

@Gotmilk2go 

Sounds more like an overzealous salesperson looking for a commision. I usually get one after I have called in about my internet. When I ask them if they an beat free they apologize and hang up.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

You in Manitoba by any chance?

Read this post from Public Mobile staff about 3 weeks ago:

HALIMACS_0-1614379086781.jpeg

Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Hoping to help clarify some questions around the HSPA changes happening in Winnipeg and Brandon, Manitoba on March 16, 2021. 

What is the impact?

Only customers in Winnipeg and Brandon will be impacted. Only certain Hz bands will be changing, which will impact the quality of voice calling and service. Data speeds will remain unchanged. 

What should impacted customers do?

This is a TELUS wide change. At this time, Public Mobile does not support VoLTE. We are looking into enabling it; however, this is not an easy solution to turn on and launch timing is unclear. In the meantime, we strongly suggest impacted customers move to Koodo or TELUS postpaid and make sure they have a VoLTE compatible device.

Impacted customers in Manitoba can contact 1-866-975-3058 for support on plan changes.

Why is TELUS migrating from HSPA to VoLTE?

With VoLTE customers will get:

• Superior network experience
  • Simultaneous use of voice and LTE data
  • High definition sound quality when calling another VoLTE-enabled device
  • Faster call setup time

For more information on what VoLTE is, you can visit the following article from our friends at TELUS.

Edited Feb 8, 2021. 

@Gotmilk2go 

What @Anonymous  has to say isnt exacty correct. Telus is losing one of its two bandz (850/1900) in those areas. It is unlikely to affect your calling while outside but it could affect your calling inside. Especially large concrete buildings......because pm does not currently offer voLTE calling pm customers can be impacted by this sudden change so telus is offering migration offers to postpaid koodo and telus plans. Many pm customers are using a wait and see approach to see how much their own calling is affected before making a decision.

@Gotmilk2go wrote:

I’m in Alberta actually. I also haven’t received any texts or emails from PM about it. Maybe they thought my region is Manitoba?

@Gotmilk2go unlikely as area codes are different, isn't it?  Did the caller leave you a number to call?  

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It hasn't happened yet, but it wouldn't shock me if Telus eventually does so just to force users up the value chain, but who knows, this could get better or just keep getting worse *shrugs*

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gotmilk2go : Is your phone number from there? Address on file here? If you don't need cell service in those areas then you can disregard the info.

Gotmilk2go
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m in Alberta actually. I also haven’t received any texts or emails from PM about it. Maybe they thought my region is Manitoba?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gotmilk2go : Are you in Winnipeg or Brandon? Telus is turning off UMTS towers in those areas. (or some such thing) Public Mobile voice works on UMTS. That would render Public Mobile customers unable to talk on their phones.

Edit: I was going to look for that announcement. RosieR has your dets.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Gotmilk2go wrote:

I just got a phone call from a Telus operator telling me that PM would stop it’s services on March 16th, and that all clients would have to transfer. I would be given the same rates apparently but would have to switch over to Telus or Koodo.

Is this legit? I’ve looked at other posts about this from 2019 and earlier, so I don’t think it is, but I wanted to be sure. 

Hi @Gotmilk2go I have not heard that Public Mobile is closing.  This is the text sent to Public Mobile customers in Manitoba, Winnipeg and Brandon.

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

If you live in affected areas, read this post by Product Manager @Catherine_T 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

I hope this helps

RosieR

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Gotmilk2go wrote:

@Gotmilk2go Well this should make for a lively thread! This is the first I have heard this.

Need Help? Let's chat.