cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public Mobile shutting down??

Gotmilk2go
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got a phone call from a Telus operator telling me that PM would stop it’s services on March 16th, and that all clients would have to transfer. I would be given the same rates apparently but would have to switch over to Telus or Koodo.

Is this legit? I’ve looked at other posts about this from 2019 and earlier, so I don’t think it is, but I wanted to be sure. 

43 REPLIES 43

I wouldn't trust the power values coming from the database, have seen way too many mistakes on all operators.

Telus and Bell can build indoor sites in SK if they wish, this one seems to be the first, most likely a microcell or picocell in the mall at the Telus store, as @Nezgar mentioned.

A "0 power" network site would still allow passive reception, yes?

Perhaps it's redundancy built into emergency systems, intended for stuff like "Alert Ready" transmissions?

Perhaps it's a placeholder necessary for CRTC compliance. Intended to nominally maintain a Telus legal foothold (allow Telus to theoretically participate in bidding/purchasing for spectrum) in SK territory?

Or perhaps it's some sort of private governmental system. Turned on to provide service whenever Trudeau visits the capital?

@Nezgar wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 but 3G doesnt run on 2100MHz afaik? Hence I figured that particular picocell would be LTE only...

That stuff they say is 2100MHz is band 4 (1700MHz). Freedom uses it for 3g, so it's possible.  Telus could have used it for 3g but used it only for LTE.

@cellphoneuser1 but 3G doesnt run on 2100MHz afaik? Hence I figured that particular picocell would be LTE only...

Edit: unless you suspect its also doing 850/1900 but not explicitly in the database ertyu is using?

@Nezgar wrote:

@Korth Haha, wow you got me! Where did that green telus tower come from!? I swear that is recent, as I've frequented those maps. 😆

Looks like it's just a picocell within the Telus store in the Southland mall... 5M elevation Omni at 2100mHz - so LTE only - says 0 power, so it may not actually be operational... could be interesting to visit and watch what my net monitor shows.....

Telus won't do it but there's nothing that says that they can't use it for the 3g network. 

@Korth Haha, wow you got me! Where did that green telus tower come from!? I swear that is recent, as I've frequented those maps. 😆

Looks like it's just a picocell within the Telus store in the Southland mall... 5M elevation Omni at 2100mHz - so LTE only - says 0 power, so it may not actually be operational... could be interesting to visit and watch what my net monitor shows.....

Edit: the nearby Rogers tower appears to be a similar deal - an omni with "0" power - theres also a Rogers Kiosk in the mall, so the "pin" must just be a bit innacurate as its showing in the north parking lot... maybe anything less than 0.5 watts rounds down to 0...

@Korth wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

It is true though that Bell and Telus have NO network of their own in Saskatchewan (not even 1 tower), and have a RAN sharing agreement on SaskTel towers.

Thanks for clarifying ... real details about SK and MB seem harder to obtain from faraway BC, lol. I don't wanna sound accusatory, but I think the internet lied to me, lol.

The cell site map (link in my above post) does show exactly one Telus tower in SK, lol. It's an immediately obvious anomaly. My guess is that it's only there because of provincial capital?

When someone tells someone a fact, that person tells someone else, and each person tells a more people, the story gets changed. 

@Nezgar wrote:

It is true though that Bell and Telus have NO network of their own in Saskatchewan (not even 1 tower), and have a RAN sharing agreement on SaskTel towers.

Thanks for clarifying ... real details about SK and MB seem harder to obtain from faraway BC, lol. I don't wanna sound accusatory, but I think the internet lied to me, lol.

The cell site map (link in my above post) does show exactly one Telus tower in SK, lol. It's an immediately obvious anomaly. My guess is that it's only there because of provincial capital?

Agree with @Nezgar, there's no 3G decommissioning. Telus is moving away from the shared Bell/Rogers RAN in Winnipeg and Brandon, and onto their own RAN, which doesn't have any 850 MHz spectrum.

@Korth SaskTel is not connected to the network changes in Brandon and Winnipeg in any way. SaskTel has no plans to decomission any of their 3G/HSPA network. I "know a guy" connected to network engineering at SaskTel and he is not aware of any changes.

Manitoba is a bit different as they have a similar sharing agreement on the province-wide Bell/MTS towers, but Telus does actually have towers of their own in Brandon and Winnipeg. Those particular towers only serve 3G/HSPA on 1900Mhz, not 850Mhz.

Just a side note, using the android "Net Monitor" app, I can see my calls use the 1900Mhz 3G band here in Regina, even in my basement, so I highly suspect Winnipeg and Brandon will also "mostly" be just fine with 3G on 1900Mhz...  Time will tell after the cut-over in March how many fringe areas/basements actually relied on the 850Mhz band for calls...

My understanding is that this isn't something Telus can directly control.

Telus has almost zero hardware deployed in SK and MB. They rely on a network sharing agreement with SaskTel and Bell to provide useful coverage for Telus/Koodo/Public consumers in these areas. Apparently SaskTel and Bell have decided their new equipment (upgrades to old equipment) are going to abandon 3G. It won't be an issue for VoLTE-supported devices on VoLTE-supporting providers - it will be an issue for VoLTE-lacking Public Mobile.

In an above post, @Catherine_T wrote:

At this time, Public Mobile does not support VoLTE. We are looking into enabling it; however, this is not an easy solution to turn on and launch timing is unclear.

If 3G is starting to get phased out and supplanted by VoLTE then Public Mobile basically won't have any choice but to provide VoLTE calling if it wants to stay in business. (Indeed, why not offer Province-wide Talk on VoLTE just for these particular provinces?)

I'm speculating that "launch timing is unclear" really means "we'll delay adoption until reduced revenue from affected/lost customers is more than the increased expenses attached to VoLTE operators". Or it could mean "we can't do it until Telus HQ allows it to be a profitable business model."

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Gotmilk2go

The OP refers to a Telus “operator”. Let’s get that defined first as Darlicious has brought up a very very good point. And, OP, who knows you are on PM....PM, maybe Telus....and?

? = did you start PM at a retailer that activated your PM SIM card and also sells other plans?

@LurganIeUk 

I activated my SIM at Walmart, so it’s entirely possible I suppose

Gotmilk2go

@Gotmilk2go : Is your phone number from there? Address on file here? If you don't need cell service in those areas then you can disregard the info.

@Anonymous 

Lol yeah, I definetly have an Alberta address on there. Another reply posted that it could be that I got a Manitoba number or something weird

@XionBunny 

I really doubt they would force users to upgrade service. They would only push many people to lucky freedom chatr or any one of those MVNO providers who are just waiting all around our borders to pour in

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Gotmilk2go 

PM is not shutting down.

There will be however TEMPORARY interruption in some areas and it's possible that the area where your number is from is affected.

There are those who can't afford this interruption.

Data and texting WILL be working.

Talk SHOULD be working but it will not be stable for (for us unknown) period of time.

I would suggest you use fongo for backup during those times. They boast being easy on data consumption.

If are on 50 plan and need usa calling, TextNow can take care if that.

Forward your missed calls to either your Fongo or TextNow, whichever you decide to use during that time and you will minimize missed calls

Fongo is also much easier with advertisements and you can completely get rid of them for life with one time$7 payment. Not bad at all.

This again is temporary and if you can live with workaround you can save your account and rewards.

If you absolutely need smooth access to your calling line you may consider switching to Telus or Koodo and be back once everything is stable.

Keep in mind you won't be able to get your rewards back and you will not be able to get your Canada wide plans for the same price, they are now province wide.

You have another option of getting temporary sim with Telus Koodo or anybody else in your area with a new temporary number, but you probably won't get the same offer i believe they will demand that you port over. Maybe I'm wrong and you can actually get new service for the same price with the given code and without porting number. In that case you may be able to sell your new temporary plan when you are done with it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : ok. The grey...looks legit. The red...Star Trek. Landing party. Red shirt. Expendable. Recent thread about Ontario outage. Joke made (by me) that someone pressed a button and then it broke and they got fired. Red shirt. Now. Call back by Spudster jokingly wondering if people promoted from here would wear red shirts.

You're caught up.

If Telus pulled the plug on PM that would have to mean they are getting out of the 3rd tier market or you the other 2 companies are going to close up their lower tier.  If the parent company of your provider shut it down are you likely to stay with them or move to someone else just out of spite?  I don't see PM closing.  PM is and has been a "starting" place for Telus employees, we have had many community managers and community "refreshes" some slight changes some big changes.  There is obviously a rotational system in Telus that that helps people make their way through different branches and of the company to make a well-rounded asset to the company.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

And finally.. Telus calls me every couple of months. From an offshore contractor. Always to my cell number. Probably because I have Telus home services. Last time was for home security as they have bought up ADT and many others and are now the main player. I am usually very short with them. Time before that was a mobile plan that would beat the plan I have now. And I thought.......should I play this one out? Nope.....decided to be short. But over the last week I have had 2 missed calls. Hmmmmm maybe a mobile plan offer....should I??? 😃😃

@RosieR wrote:

No, they get to proudly wear Telus grey shirts

Telus shirt.jpg

What’s the difference between grey and red? Contractor/commission vs an on the Telus payroll employee?

@Spudster wrote:

@Gotmilk2go 

I gotta say, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this were to occur.

Recent announcements, including Manitoba changes, plan pricing changes, a prominent PM employee leaving for greener pastures....  coincidence?

Time will tell.

That’s an obvious no brainer. Manage this for us and you will be rewarded.....and will you up the ladder. That’s a common reward in many companies when you are a trainee or on the bottom of the heap (I used to say totem pole...I assume that is no longer acceptable?)

@hTideGnow wrote:

Would be interesting if it is real..

It's sound like just a Koodo or Telus sales looking for some business.

However, the line "would be given the same rates apparently but would have to switch over to Telus or Koodo", I guess Telus and Koodo don't have rate as low as PM, how can this agent offer this if it is a only a sales call?

Anyway,  PM just gone through the "trouble" of the Provincial calling announcement, really doubt there is another drama coming soon.

@Gotmilk2go , you should have talk to the person and get us more "insider news". LoL

Would Telus or Koodo offer the same rewards program....not likely. And what makes a huge difference with PM is the rewards program.....and perhaps rather than changing the rewards program they now get more revenue from new accounts that want Canada Wide calling. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Gotmilk2go 

Sounds more like an overzealous salesperson looking for a commision. I usually get one after I have called in about my internet. When I ask them if they an beat free they apologize and hang up.

The OP refers to a Telus “operator”. Let’s get that defined first as Darlicious has brought up a very very good point. And, OP, who knows you are on PM....PM, maybe Telus....and?

? = did you start PM at a retailer that activated your PM SIM card and also sells other plans?

@XionBunny wrote:

It hasn't happened yet, but it wouldn't shock me if Telus eventually does so just to force users up the value chain, but who knows, this could get better or just keep getting worse *shrugs*

Not likely as Telus and others were directed by CTRC to provide lower cost mobile services..which is PM. Why would they do changes to improve their bottom line and then close down and also go against the CTRC. 

But putting on my corporate hat......did the recent changes make PM more mergeable into Koodo?

Was their an alliance amongst Bell Roger and Telus to all discontinue Canada Wide calling on $15 plan and charge more on the next tiers? But grandfather us? I find the latter doubtful...BUT....followable. But then there is competition to keep yourself in the lead. It’s a razors edge. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gotmilk2go : Is your phone number from there? Address on file here? If you don't need cell service in those areas then you can disregard the info.

Meaning if you live in Alberta......do you have an Alberta number? If you live in warm and sunny Alberta and have Winnipeg/Brandon  number...you would have received the texts that were directed to cities concerned and not you.....unless you live in AB and frequent MB. 

No, they get to proudly wear Telus grey shirts

Telus shirt.jpg

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do the ones getting called up also have to wear the red shirts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen a few folks come and go in my time here. It's why I call it the marketing farm team. Then if they do fine and the place doesn't collapse under their watch, they get called up to the bigs.

Spudster

We'll see.

Turnaround may be telling of something.

Seems different moderators have significantly different responses to the same issue.

One's gotta wonder...

@Spudster 

Lol....hardly. Hmmm Catherine leaves for telus after 8 months after taking over for Tiana who left pm for a position at telus after ummmm....8 months and a redesign of the community. Do you see a pattern here?

Spudster

@Gotmilk2go 

I gotta say, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this were to occur.

Recent announcements, including Manitoba changes, plan pricing changes, a prominent PM employee leaving for greener pastures....  coincidence?

Time will tell.

Need Help? Let's chat.