cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Koodo a bad thing?

methyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the letter from Dave he said that all good things must come to an end, referring to 12GB/$120/90day plan on PM. Since he implies that being on this plan on PM as a good thing, does that mean that moving to Koodo on a similar plan is considered to be a bad thing by PM's general manager?

Most people already made the decision for themselves that it's a bad thing, but it's interesting to get the perspective of Dave, that he thinks along the same lines.

Thoughts on this? 

34 REPLIES 34

The Koodo link.... I heard from my ex-colleague about the arrangement between Telus and AT&T.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sheytoonwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

For koodo... I've actually seen this EXT near Georgian Bay and Rogers was the only other providers (minus bell network).

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/extended-coverage

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/News/rogers-bell-telus-and-videotron-to-offer-extended-network-...

I'll have to take your word about Georgian Bay, though I didn't think that was the case.

With regards to the link you shared, that's referring to AT&T for US roaming only for a handful of sites near the cities of Windsor and Sarnia.

Rogers showed as EXT. Seemed weird to me. Won't be there till summer again.

which link was about AT&T the koodo link or the one about Canadian carriers allowing each other to roam on each other's network with a soft handshake?

the poster asked for proof about the existence of this EXT network so I provided.

@torontokriswrote:

For koodo... I've actually seen this EXT near Georgian Bay and Rogers was the only other providers (minus bell network).

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/News/rogers-bell-telus-and-videotron-to-offer-extended-network-...

I'll have to take your word about Georgian Bay, though I didn't think that was the case.

With regards to the link you shared, that's referring to AT&T for US roaming only for a handful of sites near the cities of Windsor and Sarnia.

@torontokris

Telus might refer to it as "3G" internally because the performance caps were originally installed for interface/compatibility with (now legacy) 3G hardware.

Telus still (as of Q2/2017) has only "97%" 4G/LTE and "98%" 3G/HSPA+ coverage, suggesting there are still 3G-only areas.  And people with 3G hardware might be worried about compatibility with "LTE-Lite" data.  Otherwise, I agree "3G" is a dumb name.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@torontokriswrote:

@sheytoonwrote:

They'll never move people from LTE to 3G. There's a large scale effort in all operators to move subscribers from 3G to LTE in order to maximize network efficiency and lower operating costs.

Also PM calling it 3G makes me suspicious. Why not call it capped LTE. 

Because it makes it more confusing for new customers. They can market it as 3G and not have to worry about customers complaining about not getting LTE speeds.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

Also PM calling it 3G makes me suspicious. Why not call it capped LTE. Market it as LTE lite or similar. But they don't. There must be a reason. Maybe that reason is simply to compare to Chatr. But if your LTE why not advertise that? 

Already discussed here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Rebrand-3G-as-LTE-Lite-as-it-is-not-3G-but...

My best guess is that while "PM3G" is technically 4G/LTE it is functionally 3G/HSPA+ in terms of performance.  Calling it "3G" implies compatibility with 3G systems when roaming or away from the PM/Telus network.

There was no reasons posted there though. In fact someone stated even the Oracle's hate the 3G branding. So why call it 3G? Someone at Telus has a reason. I don't think it's for compatibility reasons while roaming. It's either to 1) define that it's lower and not compete with more pricy LTE plans/Koodo 2) compare to Chatr (a competitor) 3) because in the future they can move you to 3G IF they wanted to - there was never a promise of LTE.

Or a combination of the above

@torontokriswrote:

Also PM calling it 3G makes me suspicious. Why not call it capped LTE. Market it as LTE lite or similar. But they don't. There must be a reason. Maybe that reason is simply to compare to Chatr. But if your LTE why not advertise that? 

Already discussed here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Rebrand-3G-as-LTE-Lite-as-it-is-not-3G-but...

My best guess is that while "PM3G" is technically 4G/LTE it is functionally 3G/HSPA+ in terms of performance.  Calling it "3G" implies compatibility with 3G systems when roaming or away from the PM/Telus network.

torontokris

@sheytoonwrote:

They'll never move people from LTE to 3G. There's a large scale effort in all operators to move subscribers from 3G to LTE in order to maximize network efficiency and lower operating costs.

Although I agree never say never with Telcos. Chatr being a good example they run 3G. Also PM calling it 3G makes me suspicious. Why not call it capped LTE. Market it as LTE lite or similar. But they don't. There must be a reason. Maybe that reason is simply to compare to Chatr. But if your LTE why not advertise that? 

torontokris

@sheytoonwrote:

@imm1304wrote:

We don't get access to the extended network in places like Northern Manitoba and Northern Ontario where Telus has special arrangements with regional carriers. 

Can you elaborate on this and where you got this info? Which regional operators can Telus subscribers use, but not PM?

@More_Chaoswrote:
I'm just wondering what's up with PM trying to get us to move to Koodo.

PM is strictly Bring Your Own (Unlocked) Device.  Attractive to (Telus) customers who don't want to throw away an old working phone or who just want to avoid contracts and postpaid billing and any possible "bill shock".  Attractive to (Telus) customers who are looking for the lowest price in town, not to spend more money than absolutely necessary.

Koodo has BYOD plans but provide incentives to get people on Tabs, then to increase them to higher-tier Tabs.  Attractive to (Telus) customers who want a decent phone and service and monthly bill.  Attractive to (Telus) customers who are willing to spend a little extra to get more.  Koodo is basically the "friendly" point of entry for Telus to make money (a lot of money) on phone sales.

https://www.prepaid-wireless-guide.com/subsidies.html

@imm1304wrote:

We don't get access to the extended network in places like Northern Manitoba and Northern Ontario where Telus has special arrangements with regional carriers. 

Can you elaborate on this and where you got this info? Which regional operators can Telus subscribers use, but not PM?

torontokris

@More_Chaos yes public 3G is really LTE capped to 3mbps. They should have called it LTE Lite. Although calling it 3G gives them the option to move people on 3G plans to 3G in the future (if they want to) . They only promised 3G. 

It's been stated the CEO wants to move people "up the value chain" and off prepaid to postpaid. More potential for people to spend money on overages buy a phone etc. Although I think it's dumb I'd want to move people to PM no stores to run no customer service other then community forums/moderators.

Everyone should calculate what the best move for them. Do you need Canada wide long distance? Do you need a tab for a phone. Maybe Koodo will give even better deals in the future to get us to move from PM.

@More_Chaoswrote:

@torontokriswrote:

Public is LTE even on the "3G speed plans" its LTE capped to 3mbps

Is that true?

Yes it's true.

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@torontokriswrote:

Public is LTE even on the "3G speed plans" its LTE capped to 3mbps

Is that true?

I didn't want to start a new topic, since this move to Koodo topic is going rampant this month. I'm just wondering what's up with PM trying to get us to move to Koodo. I received a second promotion to move to Koodo yesterday (I didn't accept the first one), but this time for an additional 2Gb for an extra $5 from my current plan/previous offer. I won't mention the specifics since there seems to be little differences between everyone who's received the offers (seems to be based on whatever your current plan is, and last day to activate the promo is different for everyone too, mine is February 28th).

I have to say, the newest offer is tempting with the extra data, the only downside is that I'd still be paying more than I am now...which is admittedly still less than what I was paying when I was with a corporate Telus plan, but still...Not to mention I still have 2 months with my current 90-day plan, and the international long distance minutes I purchased last year that I've only used 3 minutes of. So that $100 credit I would get from Koodo, isn't exactly a bonus, more like a compensation for my loss... Of course, none of this takes my discounts from PM into account, so it's not really an extra $5/month I'd be paying, but more like $10 + tax.

Vickel

Honestly the $40/4gb offer is decent 

Not the same but pretty competitive with our PM plan

What got me was announcing the increase just after my renewal and giving a short deadline to accept the offer or pay the $10 increase

The $100 bonus incentive to switch when it was barely enough to cover the 2 months lost plus cost of a new sim

torontokris

@shawnie_boywrote:

If I go to store to switch to Koodo plan. What kind of extras can I expect to negotiate for signing up? Any experience? Can I easily get call forwarding free and visual voicemail. 

Ask nicely, it doesnt hurt to ask however probably not.

Others have been sucessful at getting the $100 rebate PLUS negotiating that they still have an outstanding balance/well pre-apid for next 3 months with Public Mobile, and the rep gave them another $100. Also if you want/need a phone negotiate for a phone or medium tab (instead of small) if possible

shawnie_boy

If I go to store to switch to Koodo plan. What kind of extras can I expect to negotiate for signing up? Any experience? Can I easily get call forwarding free and visual voicemail. 

fireapple

I think the move to Koodo isn't a bad thing if they don't increase the plan prices later on for those that do end up moving over. Virgin I believe is notorious for raising the prices of their Boxing Day specials. Koodo (and Telus) seems to be a bit better in terms of this other than with the PM price increase, but I think moving to Koodo means you would lose some of that protection that PM advertising implied we had. 

PM is an MVNO operated by Telus, wireless service running on the Telus network.

PM's offices are in the big Telus building, they've masked their physical operations well enough online that it's difficult to determine if they're a Telus corporate subsidiary or merely a Telus department running a brand.

Koodo is an MNO operated by Telus, wireless service running on the Telus network.

Koodo's offices are also in the big Telus building.  But Koodo has a definite corporate presence, they have shops and kiosks and lots of employees across the nation.  Koodo's people provide "real" service and support, a physical point of contact between the company and the customer.

All the same Telus hardware, same wireless, same quality of hard-service.  Koodo offers some soft-service advantages to the customer, but these ain't free and their costs are reflected in Koodo's prices.  While PM offers "no frills" and "Less for Less", they promise lower prices because the customer isn't paying for anything unessential.

All that being said, if you can get the same or better service plan at the same or lower prices from Koodo (and you can keep this plan at this price over a long term) then you can get the best of both worlds.  Good luck.

torontokris

The Koodo rep is just trying to get you to take action asap. Public is LTE even on the "3G speed plans" its LTE capped to 3mbps Which already shows the rep was untrustworthy. 

My workplace just went through anti scam training. Unsolicited offers.. from unknown parties with false/misleading promises and an urgency that you must act quickly. Hmm

David01

All I know is, I love Public Mobile 😀 

Tough keeping alert for this thread. Is it too early to nod off? 

Yawn.jpeg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

canucks4life

Indeed defintely get it in writing on printout including $100 activation credit plus any potential bonuses thrown in by Koodo rep performing the transfer.

Also probably a good idea to take a screenshot of the offer SMS just in case.

Screenshot_20180216-111729.jpg

@bumparkwrote:

@Timewasterninjawrote:

@bumparkwrote:

• the Koodoo deal expires this Saturday, Feb 24 (which isn't the deadline mentioned in the infamous text)

Where did you hear this from? I was thinking of taking my time to migrate over, but this might push me to do it sooner.

@Timewasterninja the rep that I spoke with told me the promo expires this Saturday.  I'd take that with a grain of salt though.  I think if PM customers want to move over to Koodoo on their own accord, it would be in both PM and Koodoo's best interest to keep the expiry date as written in the text (or even longer for that matter).  Isn't that what they ultimately want? For PM customers to move over to Koodoo?

That's how I think of it.

It is not about PM's interests, it is about honoring what has been provided in writing.  Verbal communication from a hungry rep looking for commission is not a replacement for a written statement.  If there were to be any changes to the open offer, it would be in writing also, either announced in this forum, new text message, or both. 

bumpark

@Timewasterninjawrote:

@bumparkwrote:

• the Koodoo deal expires this Saturday, Feb 24 (which isn't the deadline mentioned in the infamous text)

Where did you hear this from? I was thinking of taking my time to migrate over, but this might push me to do it sooner.

@Timewasterninja the rep that I spoke with told me the promo expires this Saturday.  I'd take that with a grain of salt though.  I think if PM customers want to move over to Koodoo on their own accord, it would be in both PM and Koodoo's best interest to keep the expiry date as written in the text (or even longer for that matter).  Isn't that what they ultimately want? For PM customers to move over to Koodoo?

That's how I think of it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@imm1304hit on all the points that I wanted to make.  Dave's message was about the 2016 fall promo being a good thing that may come to an end.  Of course, that end was postponed due to our backlash.  There has been a lot of discussion in other threads about the pros and cons of migrating or staying.  To me the two plans are very different with the exception of the base price being at $40 per month.  If there were no real differences, then most of us would view staying or leaving at a totally neutral decision.  That is obviously not the case as many continue to debate the merits of the two options.  For me, it could come down to a "game time" decision for some of my accounts.  Luckily, we have until March 15 to decide one way or the other.  As for the Koodo rep saying the deadline is February 24, that is a total lie fabricated for the purposes of self interest.

Timewasterninja
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@bumparkwrote:

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@methyl, it may have come off wrong.  I don't think Dave_M intended to suggest that moving to Koodo is a bad thing.  I read it as a good thing at PM is coming to an end.. i.e. the fall promo prices.  Moving to Koodo is supposed to ease the pain of losing the $40/4GB promo at PM.  Having said that, I have decided to not migrate to Koodo.. at least not yet.  

methyl

Excellent points, however, would you agree that giving indication that moving to Koodo is a bad thing is kind of a bad marketing strategy for Telus organization overall?

Need Help? Let's chat.