cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Koodo a bad thing?

methyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the letter from Dave he said that all good things must come to an end, referring to 12GB/$120/90day plan on PM. Since he implies that being on this plan on PM as a good thing, does that mean that moving to Koodo on a similar plan is considered to be a bad thing by PM's general manager?

Most people already made the decision for themselves that it's a bad thing, but it's interesting to get the perspective of Dave, that he thinks along the same lines.

Thoughts on this? 

34 REPLIES 34

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bumpark,

I agree with you.  The PM and Koodo and Telus all have the same network coverage and unless you are on one of the 3G speed throttled plans, PM customers are getting access to full LTE speed.  I have routinely done speedtests on the last day of the plan and usually get between 200 and 300Mbps down. 

We don't get access to the extended network in places like Northern Manitoba and Northern Ontario where Telus has special arrangements with regional carriers. 

bumpark
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was thinking the same thing...

And coincidentally, a rep from Koodoo just called me and asked if I wanted to switch over.

His selling points:

• it's $40/month vs. $120 quarterly lump sum (not a factor for me, it's in fact better with the rewards and data rollover);
  • the Koodoo deal expires this Saturday, Feb 24 (which isn't the deadline mentioned in the infamous text);
  • any leftover prepaid balance would be transferred over (I suppose that equates to the $100 credit);
  • you could get a new phone (yeah...sure...with a contract);

And these ones made me think.

The rep said that:

• PM is 3G and not LTE;
  • PM's network is garbage, Koodoo's is better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I told him he was incorrect.

The plan I'm on (the fall promo $120/12GB) is LTE and not 3G (maybe he was foreshadowing)?

And that PM and Koodoo share the same towers and transmitters.  So the hardware is shared but sure, the software could be different.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @methyl,

My understanding is that Koodo or PM is pretty much the same thing.  If the price hikes were to come, they are equally likely to come to PM and Koodo as they are one and the same behind the curtains.

PM seems to be moving towards a new identity as a 3G brand and compete head on with Chatr and Lucky mobile.  Here is what I think is driving the migration effort (I could be totally wrong):

1. Koodo postpaid has greater potential for billing more $$ as people tend to spend more than whats in their plan for the convenience of paying later. 
  2. Koodo tab purchases also increase the billables and increase the likelihood of the customer staying with Koodo longer.
  3. PM's autopay, referral and loyalty rewards make the promo plan incredibly cheap for us.  Moving to Koodo gets rid of all those rewards.
  4.   Consolidate the brand identities so that only the customers with 3G plans remain with PM in the end.  

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I doubt it...really makes no difference when it comes to their bottom line whether PM or Koodo both fall under Telus probably why Koodo/PM subscriber numbers are never disclosed.

Really just comes down to personal preference for my situation Koodo US and Intl roaming options are more ideal.

Need Help? Let's chat.