cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphones really worth using with PublicMobile?

Angelic_Fille90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey fellow Public Mobilers,

Hope that you all had a great Spring and Summer. Plus you'll get important mail soon before any possibly Canada Post strike. Cat Frustrated

I have been thinking of POSSIBLY getting a IPhone from someone. It isn't a promise but just a thought.

What I want to know is, IS it really worth getting?

I only know it cost more than any other phone and that it has to have its own very special charger.

33 REPLIES 33

ohitora

"It does, and for much longer than an Android would, simply put".

How do you know this?

ohitora

@leocao_sh wrote:

I have iphone 5 to use the public mobile sim card. But I never upgrade the IOS

Even if you wanted you could not uograde to the latest several ios on your iPhone 5 which is basicaly an iPhone 4s.
You would need at least an iPhone 6s to upgrade and take advandage of most of the latest features.

ohitora

But then how would you take advandage of the sync feature?

@stonechucker wrote:

@katiatall, I have an iPad and a macbookAir.  I still prefer the Android platform on my cell phone.

@katiatall, I have an iPad and a macbookAir.  I still prefer the Android platform on my cell phone.

katiatall

Just using an iPhone on it's own is OK but a bit extravagant because of it's cost. To get the full benefit one would also have a Macbook etc. in order to enjoy the full benefits. 

katiatall

Sorry --- perhaps "junk" was too strong of a word.

@stonechucker wrote:

@katiatall, all else is not junk.  I'm on my 2nd device that is not an iPhone since I had an iPhone 5s.

I prefer Android.  Nothing wrong with liking one platform over another - This is why we have a choice.

If Apple would open up iMessage and FaceTime to I terconnect with other similar apps like Google Allo and Google Dou, or heck, heaven forbid it, create Android versions of the software, I’d be happier than a pig rolling around in you know what.

Take down the iOS wall, and everything else Apple, and let others play and work together too,

Bailey12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think it is more of a preference. I have had both iPhones and android phones. I recently switched from an iPhone 7 to a Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus. I kept the phone for 8 months and it was a great phone but I went back to an iPhone and got the iPhone X. I’m more familiar with an iPhone and truly enjoy the iMessage and FaceTime to keep in touch with family around the world. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Iphones have some special features which will not work on public mobile so if you wnat those feature then you need to get  service from a different provider specifically:

• visual vociemail
  • esims for apple watches
  • not sure what else

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Haiggy wrote:

I'm not a fanboy, I'm a mathematician... I am not loyal to one brand, just as I don't buy pumpkin spice lattes just because they're the BEST. The original requester is asking for advice on whether or not an iPhone works on Public Mobile. It does, and for much longer than an Android would, simply put.

I wud buy a pumpkin spice iPhone. Sold! 😄

@katiatall, all else is not junk.  I'm on my 2nd device that is not an iPhone since I had an iPhone 5s.

I prefer Android.  Nothing wrong with liking one platform over another - This is why we have a choice.

katiatall

Buy a used iPhone to try out and once you do all other brands will seem like junk.

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Hope that you all had a great Spring and Summer. Plus you'll get important mail soon before any possibly Canada Post strike. Cat Frustrated

I have been thinking of POSSIBLY getting a IPhone from someone. It isn't a promise but just a thought.

I only know it cost more than any other phone and that it has to have its own very special charger.

katiatall

Once you try an iPhone all is will seem like junk. 

TWoolman

I am a longtime iPhone user who switched to PM a short time ago. I see no difference in the quality of my service after switching from a higher priced cell provider. Apples to apples (pun intended) you will see no difference with PM and others for quality of service. As far as an iPhone, it is a very good quality cell phone. Very easy to use and reliable. I would highly recommend it, but that’s a personal thing. Everyone has an opinion. Apple iPhone can do everything any other smart phone can do. It’s all personal preference. 

TWoolman

I am a longtime iPhone user who switched to PM a short time ago. I see no difference in the quality of my service after switching from a higher priced cell provider. Apples to apples (pun intended) you will see no difference with PM and others for quality of service. As far as an iPhone, it is a very good quality cell phone. Very easy to use and reliable. I would highly recommend it, but that’s a personal thing. Everyone has an opinion. Apple iPhone can do everything any other smart phone can do. It’s all personal preference. 

leocao_sh

I have iphone 5 to use the public mobile sim card. But I never upgrade the IOS

Procykgirl

Coming from personal experience, an iPhone is very easy to use with Public Mobile. If you have problems with the phone saying the sim cannot be used all you have to do is contact the carrier the phone was with before, provide the imei number, and they can unlock the phone for free. I have not encountered any issues using an iPhone with the service, and if any issues do arise they can be easily resolved by asking anyone on the community forum for help. 

Haiggy

@Anonymous wrote:

@Haiggy wrote:

I'm not a fanboy, I'm a mathematician... I am not loyal to one brand, just as I don't buy pumpkin spice lattes just because they're the BEST. The original requester is asking for advice on whether or not an iPhone works on Public Mobile. It does, and for much longer than an Android would, simply put.

No. The OP asked if it was "worth getting". It sounds like whoever is offering it is asking a bit of a price.

The answer to that question is entirely subjective.

They were also acting on misdirected assumptions "I only know it cost more than any other phone and that it has to have its own very special charger." which is what I was trying to address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Haiggy wrote:

No. The OP asked if it was "worth getting". It sounds like whoever is offering it is asking a bit of a price.

The answer to that question is entirely subjective.

Haiggy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Haiggy wrote:

The iPhone 6s is 4 years old, and the Android you're recommending is 1-year old. I fail to see the logic in this 'budget' option if you need to keep buying phones every year.

My first Canadian-supplied smart phone was an LG running Android from (according to gsmarena) around 2010. Still works fine. It won't update. But it works.

We get it. You're an Apple fanboy. Believe it or not others aren't. I know. Hard to believe. I'm not. Nor am I an Android fanboy. I still run an antique Z30 from 2013. Works great. Does all I need it to do. The browser is getting surpassed in capability more and more these days but that depends on the site.

Haiggy

The iPhone 6s is 3 years old, and the Android you're recommending is 1-year old. I fail to see the logic in this 'budget' option if you need to keep buying phones every year.

Haiggy

@bridonca wrote:

A iphone is not worth the extra money.  They are nice phones though.  The advantage of Android phones is there is a lot of them, and a model is more likely to suit your needs and budget. 

If I were to get an iphone, I would not get anything less than a 6s, because anything older is too slow. 

If I were to get an Android phone, I would get last year's flagship model.  They tend to just as good as the brand's newest model, but are priced much better. 

The best phones that run Android, tend to be better phones than the best phones Apple makes.  Android phones still also tend to be cheaper. 

The 6s is 4 years old, yet you're telling people to buy a phone that's only 1 year old because it has better value. I fail to see that logic. The longevitiy of the iPhone far outweighs the 'budget' price you're arguing for Android phones. The support drops off after 2 years, yet Apple still supports 5-year old phones with the latest OS, making it a 6-year support cycle, so you could spend twice as much on an iPhone and have it last 3x as long.

bridonca

A iphone is not worth the extra money.  They are nice phones though.  The advantage of Android phones is there is a lot of them, and a model is more likely to suit your needs and budget. 

If I were to get an iphone, I would not get anything less than a 6s, because anything older is too slow. 

If I were to get an Android phone, I would get last year's flagship model.  They tend to just as good as the brand's newest model, but are priced much better. 

The best phones that run Android, tend to be better phones than the best phones Apple makes.  Android phones still also tend to be cheaper. 

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

The Canada Post strike: I don't think iPhones will be mailed by CP if you buy it online... It'll probably be delivered by UPS or FedEx etc.

Reasons for not getting an iPhone:

• Few customization. It's just a dumb OS. Android is open source at least.
  • Can't store files without external apps.
  • It costs way more than a good Android phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Haiggy wrote:

Not really helpful, but OK. Thanks for the rant. iPhone changed connectors once, Android? 2x, and everything's wireless now anyways, which is a standard that all phones use now... so that point is moot.

Just to be geeky technical...Android doesn't have connectors. It's software. Of course I know what you mean.

tbark

It is definitely a preference thing, but I cannot see spending that much money for a phone on Public Mobile service at 3G. If you are one the LTE plan then it may be worth the extra expense. It just seems like a lot of phone and expense in my mind, but then that is just my own personal opinion

iPhones are fine, as are Android, WindowsOS, BlackBerry, Nokia (what do they run?), etc...   whatever you want to use, is fine - just make sure it's compatible.

There are advanced features on many devices that will not work on Public Mobile at this time - maybe in the future.

I'm an Android guy - I like my device near to stock Android.

As for the charging cable - The old 30-pin was fine, then Apple switched to the Lightning connector.  Reversible connect for data and power - cool thinking.  That's what USB C (3?) is now on the Android side.  These are no-brainer type connections - just plug and go.  Sure you can't re-use old chargers and cables as easily, nor docks either, but sometimes that's a good thing.

Bluetooth connections eat power, drain your battery.  The 3.5mm mini jack doesn't.  It should still be standard on a cellular phone in my opinion.  Hey, my Android has a built-in FM Tuner too - that's cool.

Haiggy

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Well I'm not neutral. 🙂

Expensive and proprietary with their own little walled-in sandbox.

The charger is more about their own proprietary connector. No sirree. Can't be using the standard little usb connector. Gotta be special. Or maybe they think their customers are too stupid to figure out plug orientation.

Depending on how old the iphone is...now with no headphone/mic jack. Great. Reduce flexibility and access. Doesn't that even go against your credo?

No memory card slot. That's it. That's all you get.

No easily replaceable battery. Many phones are easily opened to swap out a battery for on the go needs.

Sure. They're fine lovely products. I'm an old f@rt. I've been against Apple since they started. They're all about marketing and style. That's not how I want to identify with my tech.

At the end of the day, how to justify and rationalize your purchases is entirely personal.

Not really helpful, but OK. Thanks for the rant. iPhone changed connectors once, Android? 2x, and everything's wireless now anyways, which is a standard that all phones use now... so that point is moot.

Haiggy

I think that's a common misconception. I'm using a 5-year old iPhone 5s, and it still runs the latest OS. Lots of value in using an iPhone with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.