cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent to non-existent service

SmilingKoala
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey folks - new user here with what I hope are just setup pains.

I just got on PM about a week ago on the unlimited Canada-Wide talk/text plan (New account) with a used Galaxy S10 I got from Bestbuy Outlet (New Phone). Somewhere between the phone, the account, and the network, I have had a helluva time getting consistent connectivity for talk or text, although data seems to work fine.

Sometimes I get no connection at all (text or talk) other times I get a call to connect. and then it drops after just a few minutes. I have used the phone at home (in the GTA) and on vacation (drive to Sudbury and back) and have had very spotty and intermittent ability to send/receive even if there is connectivity showing on the phone. I had a second phone with me (Galaxy S10+ on Telus) and it was able to send & receive texts when the PM phone couldn't. 

So far I have reset the MMS settings following another post I found here, and I have locked the phone to 3G following another thread with connectivity issues.

I'm open to whatever other ideas folks have to get this thing working consistently and dependably. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

chainsawcowboy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@SmilingKoala 

Did customer support fix your issue?

SmilingKoala

Will do - thanks.

@SmilingKoala 

Ok we're back to a SIM card provisioning issue.....

The CSA's ( formerly moderators) can fix this for you but you must initiate contact for this to be done. Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of your screen. Type in "sim not provisioned properly upon  activation" and "human" and follow the prompts to submit your ticket.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the CSA's.  Wait times are currently less than an hour. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Edit: I would skip using lost/stolen at this point because your SIM card didn't provision correctly when you activated and you would have to contact them anyways to apply your rewards so just get it provisioned properly on the back end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SmilingKoala wrote:

Dammit... and the next text I send fails. Grrr.

Note: Intermittent.

@SmilingKoala 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you do try reseat the SIM card

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. wipe it clean SIM card,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is go through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your DATA is on.

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Good Luck

SmilingKoala

Dammit... and the next text I send fails. Grrr.

Note: Intermittent.

@SmilingKoala 

Woohoo....happy to have helped! We are here when you need us....😃

SmilingKoala

Network settings reset...
Phone restarted...

Seems to be working...

I'll mark this closed for now - thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SmilingKoala wrote:

4. By perform a network reset - do you mean turn it off and on again?

@SmilingKoala 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  HERE 

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click HERE

@SmilingKoala 

Yes that confirms it's a device issue. To perform a network reset....

1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen. ...
  2. Navigate: Settings. ...
  3. Tap Reset network settings.
  4. Review the info then tap Reset settings. ...
  5. To confirm, review the info then tap Reset.

SmilingKoala

@darlicious - thanks for the tips. 

1. I have found that if I restart, usually I can get one or two "clean" texts out, then back to no service.

2. I have toggled airplane mode. It didn't make much difference.

3. Sim cards - I just swapped between the two phones. The Work phone (Galaxy S10+), using the PM card is working fine. The new phone (Galaxy S10) using the work Sim cannot connect. I think this suggests an issue with the phone.

4. By perform a network reset - do you mean turn it off and on again? 

I'll wait to do the starred items...

@SmilingKoala 

The boss wouldn't even know you are testing the SIM card. All you would be doing is sending a test call or text to yourself to see if the same problem occurs on that phone and alternatively if your phone works fine with the telus SIM card then you know it's a SIM card issue not a phone issue.

I suspect this is the case.....it sounds as though your SIM card didn't provision all that well. Run thru these troubleshooting tips to see if you can fix it on your end. As it could be connectivity as well....

. Usually the first two or three steps will clear up either issue but keep these in mind when you experience similar problems in the future.( Test after each tip.)

1. Reboot your phone. ( You should do this once a week anyways.)
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Remove SIM card and set aside. Check for any dirt or debris in the SIM slot. Check the SIM card for dirt or damage and gently clean with a little alcohol and a cotton swab. After 10 minutes reseat the SIM card making sure the SIM fits snugly in the SIM slot. Use a paper shim or a little tape to secure it in slot/tray. Reinsert in the phone and reboot.
  4. Perform a network reset.
  5. Clear the cache of the troublesome apps. Perform device maintenance.*
  6. Add a payment of at least $1 to your account balance.**
  7. Log in to your self serve account. Go to the plans or usage page. Click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and Reboot.***
  8. Contact customer support via Simple--Simon or private message.

*Will not help reprovision.

**Will not help a poor connection.

***Caution : Using lost/stolen w/active service even briefly will cause rewards to not apply upon renewal. You must contact the CSA's after renewal and ask for them to be applied manually. Also will not help a poor connection.

@SmilingKoala 

….or you can put your PM sim in a friend/relatives unlocked phone to test.

..at least put the Telus Sim on your PM phone.. this confirn it is a device issue.

honest Telus and PM uses the same network..  if Telus SIM on your PM phone without issue, then it could be a provisioning issue and you would then open ticket with PM

just test the Telus SiM on PM phone first

SmilingKoala

I would do that, but it's a work phone and locked down to business. I'm not sure how well it would work to play with my employer's phone. 🙂 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SmilingKoala   since you have  a secondary  phone with Telus.. did you try

1.  put your PM sim into that S10+ Telus phone.

2. put the Telus SIM into this PM phone (S10)

tell us  how it goes

Need Help? Let's chat.