cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Data Usage

vunnikri
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have activated my public mobile sim yesterday (23-Nov-2020) and it showed that I have used around 30MB of my data when I checked today (24-Nov). I have my phone on Wi-Fi the whole day and i switched it off to test the speed of my mobile data (on 24-Nov-2020, around 2:30PM)

Once the speedtest completed, I received a text message from Public Mobile that I have exceeded 75% of my data. I logged into my account and now see that it has used 775MB of data - see screenshot below.

publicmobile_data_usage.jpg

Do let me know how I might get hold of someone from PM support to discuss this further.

--- edit ---

Just want to clarify few things:

1. I'm aware that PM is 3G and I'm not expecting some super speeds. I did a speedtest to know what kind of speed I can expect in my area.

2. I've been using mobile data for many years and never had to worry about a simple speed-test wiping out all my mobile data. I'm not sure how many people have had this experience in the past!

3. I've been on multiple mobile networks (Freedom, Fido, Lucky, Rogers, Bell) and I've never seen this behavior before (i.e.) 500+MB of data depleted by a speedtest. 

Thanks,

- a confused new customer

16 REPLIES 16

vunnikri

@darlicious 

Yes, I did get the data and minutes. Thank you for pointing out the '@' as well. I was wondering why my reply structure looked off.

@vunnikri 

Did you get your free 500 min international calling minutes add on while you were there? If not its the same process. FYI....if you want to tag someone so that they know you are replying to them just tap the "@" key and a box will pop up with usernames to tap on or you can type in the name for it to pop up. Welcome to public mobile! ......and to the pm community!

vunnikri

Sounds great! 

Yeah, like I mentioned - I've always had my data on and never had any issues of disappearing data. I'll probably have the 'mobile data switched off' for a few days until I gain some confidence back 🙂

I've used the PM offer to get free add-on data. That was great!

vunnikri

That was great! Thank you for that 🙂

I've registered and got the add on data - now for some peace!

@vunnikri wrote:

Yes. I agree. I haven't noticed such issues in the past - although I always had 3GB or so of data and didn't care too much.

Now that I only have 1GB of data, I'm planning to switch off my mobile data unless I really need it 🙂

@vunnikri I am on the $15 plan with 250MB of data. I have turned off wifi assist. I have selected update over wifi only and I have selected auto connect to know wifi networks (home/work). I have turned off background data for most apps. I leave data turned on all the time and I don't think I use remotely close to 100 MB per month. If you need maps for guidance they can be downloaded free for a number of apps and use no data when in use. I don't play music or stream videos or play games unless i am on wifi.

All this to say, if you take the same steps I outlined above your data usage will be low. I use a PlayStore app called DataWitness PM that is quite accurate and allows me to check from time to time that I am still on track with my usage.

@vunnikri 

Unfortunately, many customers in the past has tried the speed test and used up a significant portion of their data allotment.  

Did you get your free holiday 2GB data add on?  That would help in these situations.  Unused data will roll over to next month.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/More-is-Merrier-is-back-Free-gifts-for-...

vunnikri

Yes. I agree. I haven't noticed such issues in the past - although I always had 3GB or so of data and didn't care too much.

Now that I only have 1GB of data, I'm planning to switch off my mobile data unless I really need it 🙂

macrocyclo

Sounds like you already got an answer, but beware, sometimes even with WiFi on some phones will use data. Mine is missing the switch to prevent it from using data even if WiFi is not available.

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I did 3 speed tests using Ookla Speedtest on a 5g network.  Each test averaged around 125mb of data usage.  Mind you I was connected to Wifi when running this.  However, I have a Data Manager app which tells me how much Wifi and how much mobile data I'm using.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@vunnikri 

I would also make sure you have Wi-Fi Assist disabled as that can use data even on Wi-Fi. Remember the reason you joined PM in the first place. It’s not for super-fast data although you won't really notice it. Remember we all used 3G when it first came out and weren’t complaining.

@vunnikri wrote:

computergeek541,

Thank you for your suggestion.

It does seem possible that speedtest would use considerable data, but i'm shocked that it could use upwards of 500MB.

Anyways, I will wait for one of the moderators to look into this further.

I've switched off my mobile data for now to avoid further surprises 🙂

Thank you!

I don't believe that there's anything for the moderators to actually look at, except for that  you're a new customer. The data was almost certainly used by performing that speed test, and I I am confident that they'll look at the usage and say that it's correct. As to if the moderator will return the data, that would be a goodwill gesture if that gets done.

@vunnikri wrote:

computergeek541,

It does seem possible that speedtest would use considerable data, but i'm shocked that it could use upwards of 500MB.

Thank you!

Well, at least, you won't be surprised by any charges for excess data usage. Hopefully the moderators will be kind to your error.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Speed test will us as much as it can so no surprise there. It is trying maximum for limited time period and based on that it does calculate your speed. I personally don't see value using it unless I see slowness in using certain apps/sites and want to make sure that it is not my issue.

vunnikri

computergeek541,

Thank you!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You shouldn't be doing speed tests. PM is LTE throttled to 3g speed (3 MBs)..first 48 hours is full speed. So now because you ran speed tests and stuff you want your data back? Not sure PM will do anything about this.

Open a ticket through the chat bot (message bubble bottom right) for the moderators or private message at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Also even though you're on wifi you have to change settings on your phone.

Like wifi assist or wifi + that automatically connects back to data is wifi signal is weak or having issues.

Another is mobile data always on in developer options.

Go through your apps turn off background data, mobile data so they only use wifi, etc etc

@vunnikri wrote:

Hello,

I have activated my public mobile sim yesterday (23-Nov-2020) and it showed that I have used around 30MB of my data when I checked today (24-Nov). I have my phone on Wi-Fi the whole day and i switched it off to test the speed of my mobile data (on 24-Nov-2020, around 2:30PM)

Once the speedtest completed, I received a text message from Public Mobile that I have exceeded 75% of my data. I logged into my account and now see that it has used 775MB of data - see screenshot below.

publicmobile_data_usage.jpg

Do let me know how I might get hold of someone from PM support to discuss this further.

Thanks,

- a confused new customer

Unfortunately, the usage is very likely correct. Speedtest.net uses a lot of data. I've used 500MB on a single test before. For the first 48 hours as a customer, your speeds are full LTE speeds. Speedtest.net uses more data when the connection is fast.

Need Help? Let's chat.