cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming call

Pipcan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received a call which was identified as V72313060600068.  I didn’t answer the call but later, out of curiosity, pressed on the missed call.  It then displayed as 905-294-3093.  Both numbers showed to be Markham Ontario.  I called the 905 number and got a recording that the number was not in service.  Anyone know why it would display as V723… and end up being 905…, a number not in service?

7 REPLIES 7

These spoofed calls actually do use a legitimate 10-digit number as the caller ID, as OP noted when calling back it was a 905xxxxxxx number.

The "Vxxx..." number that you see is actually the CNAM or Caller ID Name display, which is sent in addition to the caller ID number. Many phones show only this CNAM data when the call comes in, and you have to do extra steps to reveal the number...

Regardless, they are spam calls just the same - and the V... name is just an artifact of one of the autodialer softphone programs that they use... Since the number is most likely spoofed, a call back to the number may just reach another unsuspecting/confused person wondering why people are complaining about calls they didn't make...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

interesting.. you 905 number seems to register to someone in a Retirement residence in Markham..

Also can you see the legit number in the V number? And google the legit number at 800Notes and you my find more about what they were calling for. 

I used to get a lot of those calls. Always telemarketing or Windows has discovered an issue. Awhile back the CRTC had a mandate that those kind of numbers are not supposed to make it through the Canadian phone systems. What I found was the V number showed on caller ID and "some" of them but not all showed as a legit number when I checked my VOIP account. I would put a block on the legit number. So just block one or both numbers and keep on blocking. Also as you when I did call back the number was always "no service". So they are calling on spuffed caller ID's and how they manage to use a number that is not in service is a mystery...but sometimes they will fake out a caller ID using your neighbourhoods numbers just to lure you to answer. 

So....

1. You should never call back to those numbers. 

2. You might be blocking a legit number that may want to call you....ie I had some one call me and the caller ID was my number!!😁

And oh....it is easy to do.  I have an app on my iPhone to use my VOIP number over Data or WiFi....and I can put any number for caller ID into the app and it works!!! So when I call using my land line VOIP number and I am away I use my PM number as caller ID and utilize my unlimited inbound calls on my $15 plan. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pipcan 

just ignore and deleted

JK8
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.