cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Caller ID Number

tmillernl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switched to PM and seems good thus far with one exception.  A number of times I have received calls from a number/service and it comes in as either Private number or Unknown.    

1) One examples is my sons school.  Their number has not changed, their callout system has not changed and they are in my phones address book.  That same call to other friends phones not on PM showed up fine with the number.

2) I have had two friends not on PM who called me from usual lines and they showed up as Private number.  They do not have their caller id blocked, and they are in my address book.

It seems like under certain conditions PM is stripping the info.  The callers carriers are sending the data with the call as its fine for others.  Anyone have any thoughts?

16 REPLIES 16

SparkleHeart82

Not that I have noticed. The house phone here which is Bell, usually shows the caller ID.

@SparkleHeart82 wrote:

I live in NL and I've been having the same problem with certain numbers showing up as private, namely my parents house phone. They recently switched from Bell to Eastlink so I am not sure if it's a provider issue. 

The difficulty here is how this could be either Eastlink or Public Mobile that is causing this.  Is this all the time or only sometimes, and does it happen when other Eastlink customers call you?

SparkleHeart82

I live in NL and I've been having the same problem with certain numbers showing up as private, namely my parents house phone. They recently switched from Bell to Eastlink so I am not sure if it's a provider issue. 

tmillernl

Hi there.  It was not related to a particular FROM provider for me.  It did at first seem to be linked to just toll free / automated systems coming in as Private Number when someone next to me with a Bell or Rogers phone sees the name and number properly.   Eg.  School calling out about reminders.  I am a Search & Rescue member and we use an automated system from Twillio to call out for emergencies.    However every now and then it will completely mess up a local name display.  I am to the point where I am thinking of paying more to go back to Bell Mobility to get rid of this problem.  It only started when i moved to Public Mobile

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Was that blocking all call display or name display? Rogers name display caused issues with incoming calls on some devices. Rogers had to disable name display to prevent issues on some accounts.

Yeah I expect that would have blocked all caller ID, including number.

I guess the main thing here is to confirm if this issue is affecting anyone else... @LurganIeUk Mentioned receiving unknown caller ID from Shaw landlines. @tmillernl Do you know the providers of those calling you where you are getting unknown caller ID now?

@Nezgar wrote:

There are some ancient GSM feature codes that could block "incoming" caller ID (not sure why anyone would ever want to do that)... the only one that seems to work with Public Mobile is the query code: *#30# ... My android returns "Incoming Caller ID Service was enabled".  Maybe just confirm yours does the same.

Also, try your SIM in other phones to see if the issue persists...

Was that blocking all call display or name display? Rogers name display caused issues with incoming calls on some devices. Rogers had to disable name display to prevent issues on some accounts.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@tmillernl wrote:

I recently switched to PM and seems good thus far with one exception.  A number of times I have received calls from a number/service and it comes in as either Private number or Unknown.    

1) One examples is my sons school.  Their number has not changed, their callout system has not changed and they are in my phones address book.  That same call to other friends phones not on PM showed up fine with the number.

2) I have had two friends not on PM who called me from usual lines and they showed up as Private number.  They do not have their caller id blocked, and they are in my address book.

It seems like under certain conditions PM is stripping the info.  The callers carriers are sending the data with the call as its fine for others.  Anyone have any thoughts?

We have VOIP land line service and every number except 2 come through with the caller id of the number only but VOIP has a contact list that then provides us with the callers name. Just like a cell phone. The only 2 that come through as anonymous are Shaw Land Line numbers. Which means, to me, that Shaw is not sending the callers number. So by any chance are the callers using Shaw or?  So I kind of think that it is not PM causing the issue. I don't think it would hurt to contact a MOD on this one. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

There are some ancient GSM feature codes that could block "incoming" caller ID (not sure why anyone would ever want to do that)... the only one that seems to work with Public Mobile is the query code: *#30# ... My android returns "Incoming Caller ID Service was enabled".  Maybe just confirm yours does the same.

Also, try your SIM in other phones to see if the issue persists...

Budd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Was your problem resolved? I'm having the same problem as you but realized that all calls coming in from Bell landlines show as private. There are a few other friends that have the same problem with Public Mobile and Koodo too.

@tmillernl try resetting your sim using the lost/stolen phone option in your self serve. 

@tmillernl wrote:

As indicated in the question the caller does have it enabled and the number does not come in.  Not worried about name.    When the same call from the school goes to friends phones the caller number for the school is there, and on the same phone before I switched to PM it displayed the number.  

@tmillernl 

Interesting.  phone number display shows on my lines.  

Maybe try the SIM card in another phone.  To see whether it may be a hardware set up issue versus PM service problem. 

Maybe try rebooting phone.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off.  Maybe network reset.  

tmillernl

As indicated in the question the caller does have it enabled and the number does not come in.  Not worried about name.    When the same call from the school goes to friends phones the caller number for the school is there, and on the same phone before I switched to PM it displayed the number.  

tmillernl

Just the number is all I need as the contacts name and number calling me are in my phones address book.  So if it came in as just the numbers thats ok but its either Private Number or Unknown Number

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@tmillernl  try calling your 2 friends and have them call you back. See if this rectified the problem.  Are your 2 friends with the same provider. Is everything else working properly on your phone? Thanks.  Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@tmillernl wrote:

Public mobile doesn't have a call display unless the number is in your phone and the provider on the other end is allowing the number to show. I get plenty of unknown callers now on PM, most of them are spam calls so my phone blocks the unknown caller. Although it does say call display on their plans it is not the same as Caller ID. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 11.58.31 AM.png

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@tmillernl 

Public mobile only shows phone number display.  PM will not show name display like other telecoms like Rogers.  

If the number is stored in your contact list, the name will usually show up though..  

Need Help? Let's chat.