cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of CRTC unlocking rules on the market - for discussion

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just a general topic for discussion:

I've been tempted by the koodo $50 plan but am wondering if the market will do better.

Do you think the CRTC ruling about having all devices unlocked will help lower plans going into the Christmas season? 

Will/are the Big 3 going to try to dump all of their older locked devices by enticing us before Dec 1?

I'm  curious about the community's thoughts. 

7 REPLIES 7

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I don't think prices will improve..if anything, an excuse to increase pricing.

Things might improve once Shaw has FM sorted out,

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't see there being any major change (if at all) to price plans due to the CRTC's device unlocking policy as it's limited strictly to the devices themselves. Sure, people will be able to have their phones unlocked at no charge and new devices will be sold factory unlocked, but even if someone were to choose to leave their existing carrier they will still need to pay off whatever device balance they have if there is one on their account.

If this involved the way that contracts worked then it would be a different story, like when the CRTC mandated 2 year contract terms vs. the 3 year terms that were the industry standard at the time. Since the carriers essentially lost that extra year of potential lock-in, both price plan and device prices increased to offset the difference. 

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I don't think there will be a big change in pricing. There might be as soon as Freedom Mobile perfects their network

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I'm not sure there will be any real impact.

Say You get a phone from koodo today, if you want to break your contract you have to pay off the tab amount. Not sure what the others do when you leave before the contract ends but I imagine it is something similar.

And honestly it's more an iPhone thing, I have spent at most 5$ to unlock any of my android phones via eBay.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I agree about the crtc screwing us by ending 36 month terms. Plans doubled. At first the byod plans were good but over time discounts have gotten smaller.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Sadly everytime the CRTC tries to help the customer, it backfires and we end up paying way more.  Only time will tell how much this one is going to cost us.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@905289, I don't think that you will see lower plan prices with them trying to dump locked phones.  There is nothing to stop someone from going in after Dec 2 and saying please unlock my phone that is locked to your network.  What I think will happen is you will see plans may come down in price as there will be less susidy for the phone and you will now have to pay a larger portion of the phone price up front.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.