cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Ideas] More flexible US roaming add-on

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am aware of the exisiting US Roaming bundle that lasts 10 continuous days.

My suggestion is that, if Public Mobile could release some add-on that allows us to use it whenever we want and deducts by days. I believe quite a few people living near the boarder (or even GTA area, like me) would come back in one or two days. The current 10-day bundle is too much for them. 

10 REPLIES 10

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabrI don't think they will either. It's not really something I've seen out of a prepaid plan tbh. On postpaid, most offer a daily access fee to your normal plan. There are also one or two plans that include cross border roaming as part of the monthly fee, but in more expensive packages to start with.

@JackQuint wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you guys looking for daily increments looked at Roam Mobility?  Pay once for the SIM card (I got mine ages ago on sale in a 2-pack at London Drugs) and then buy as many or few 24 hour days as you want for I think it was around $5/day.  

This is great advice. If you are going for a day or something, the EasyRoam or Roam Like Home packages offered by Telus/Koodo/Rogers/Fido are really convenient. But those are on postpaid, not prepaid plans.

The other comment about how cheap PM roaming is ($8 for 10 days) is only if you don't use data. These days, I use data and SMS way more than I use voice and I am probably fairly typical. PM sells you a gig of US roaming data for $20 which isn't bad.

It looks like Koodo prepaid does have US roaming boosters which apparently don't expire until used up which makes them really attractive. $20/500 mb, $5/50mb, $20/250 mins, $5/25 mins, text options is also available but requires the data roaming purchase first.  Non expiry makes it a very reasonable choice for day or weekend trippers but I don't believe PM will offer something like this.    

JackQuint

@srlawren wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you guys looking for daily increments looked at Roam Mobility?  Pay once for the SIM card (I got mine ages ago on sale in a 2-pack at London Drugs) and then buy as many or few 24 hour days as you want for I think it was around $5/day.  

This is great advice. If you are going for a day or something, the EasyRoam or Roam Like Home packages offered by Telus/Koodo/Rogers/Fido are really convenient. But those are on postpaid, not prepaid plans.

The other comment about how cheap PM roaming is ($8 for 10 days) is only if you don't use data. These days, I use data and SMS way more than I use voice and I am probably fairly typical. PM sells you a gig of US roaming data for $20 which isn't bad.

Tammy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

5$/per day is not so bad but PM is only 8$ for 10 days. I just hate waste and most of that would be wasted when you are only going for a weekend.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mh1983 wrote:

Koodo has a nice roaming-as-needed option. Wish PM had something similar.

Doesn't Koodo's US roaming cost $8 for 24 hours, not sure if it would be more practical than PM's US add-on for 10 days, unless I'm missing something?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Koodo has a nice roaming-as-needed option. Wish PM had something similar.

Tammy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm in agreement 10 days is so long. I often (4 to 5 times per yr) go to the states for just the weekend and would love to see a 48 hour option.

kelvarnsen

Would love some 24 hour options. I mean if 10 days of US talk is $8, I would totally be ok with paying $4 for 1 day.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@drsiha wrote:

I am aware of the exisiting US Roaming bundle that lasts 10 continuous days.

My suggestion is that, if Public Mobile could release some add-on that allows us to use it whenever we want and deducts by days. I believe quite a few people living near the boarder (or even GTA area, like me) would come back in one or two days. The current 10-day bundle is too much for them. 

Sounds like a good idea but unlikely to happen.  Customers can't even stack their roaming add-ons right now if their US stay is more than 10 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.